My home made sluice box what do you think ???

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Hello Friends,
Please see the pictures of my home made sluice box I have been building / modifying it for last year or so.
As you can see it has a sluice gate (could be open or closed), metal webbing to prevent big rocks go through it, next part is the gold / black sand catching rubber mat with an “air ribs” and metal webbing on the top of it. The “ribs” can be bent in any position for the best working condition. 2nd. The detachable part has again 1 of the ribs, metal webbing and carpet. Both above parts are hinged so can be moved up for cleaning. Total length about 8 feet (both parts together) – weight about 40lbs.
Could you give me any input / info how I can make this better and more efficient?
Regards to all………….
CIMG0129.jpg

CIMG0128.jpg

CIMG0127.jpg

CIMG0126.jpg

CIMG0125.jpg

CIMG0124.jpg

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Should I add / install a Miners Moss - Nomad Sluice Carpet on the bottom of my box / starting from the front to the bottom of the first part of my sluice ??? Probably it will be faster and easier to clean up.
????
???

CIMG0133.jpg

CIMG0132.jpg

CIMG0131.jpg

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010
I like the first set of "mini-riffles". Where did you get that?

My only comment/question is; what about the side walls? Do you have a problem with channeling your water through the sluice?

Nice work.

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
I got the "mine-riffles" from the hardware store, I think they are for an air circulaton or something like that ???
As of water circulation - flow - it is ok - I can always add some extra walls to keep more water flowing, partially close the sluice gate or move all higher with less water flow.
:)

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you sure put alot of work and time into it. have you ahd a chance to
test it out? looks cool and thanks for sharing the pictures. take care. ron

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Very interesting design. I do think the sidewalls should be a little taller as well. Otherwise in the river it seems like you would get water flowing right over the sides? Nice work overall though. Look forward to seeing how it does.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are gonna need taller side walls to direct your flow, if you get any kind of build up the water and material will go over the sides... your material is gonna find the path of least resistance, wich will be over the sides. the principle behind a sluice is that the material has to go downs stream/sluice cause it has no where else to go. the flow of water and the pull of gravity is what helps the gold dop out of suspension, into the low preassure zones in your sluice, be it behind riffles of into drops.and if your gonna run any serious amount of material you need good strong riffles, if you can bend somthing in your box with your fingers rocks are gonna do the same... your not gonna like it. dont get me wrong the best thing is your buildin your own stuff.i do think if your usin it as a clean up sluice it could work. but only classified material.check out astros sluices he defiatel knows what hes doin.

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
Yep, I will add some more aluminium walls about 2-4 inches on both sites. Also as you can see the upper metal mesh will not alowed big roks to go througth the sluice so I'm not worry about the riffels getting bent - now the question is the angle of the riffles ???? I can change it using a wisegrip.
Also to avoid cleaning the rubber mat I decided to put a carpet on the bottom.
Anyone has some extra nomad-miners moss I could buy ?
Thank you all for input.
:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread