Recent trip to the Italian Bar, CA

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are pics of the latest adventure, on the S. Fork of the Stanislaus. The camp, Mike Rudolph, parking was ..... "tight"..., and the magical floating sluice. Our camp was just south of the big LDMA camp at the turn of Italian Bar road. very beautiful area. I think there are 3 first-come camp sites. A Mi-Wuk ranger permit (notice of intent) will get you written permission to use a sluice. This particular site is "4x4 only" site. Really! I took the legs off my highbanker and turned my Keene A52 into a "floating" sluice. Neat! It is above the rocks held in place by only the legs. Could not get a better water flow but still a good way to plant a sluice when the rocks are not cooperating. Oh,.... our take? Not enough to warrant a pic. Pooh! This area has seen very heavy dredging over the years, I am told. Still a very nice outing. Life is good! Thanks, all. TTC

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 1,062
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_0578.jpg
    IMG_0578.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 1,124

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice photos been sum time since we been up there :thumbsup:

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice looking area,should be some good sniping there.

SCBUZZ

Mar 27, 2010
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At least you can say you got to go there. That is one place I would love to visit. Gold or not. But being an East Coaster that probably will never happen.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SCBUZZ said:
At least you can say you got to go there. That is one place I would love to visit. Gold or not. But being an East Coaster that probably will never happen.
SCBUZZ,
I am giving you, and any other Tnet friend(s), an open invite to the house here. Middle of the Mother Lode! Murphys is East of Sacramento about 70 or 80 miles. You find a way out here and Judy and I will put you up. I'll even come down to Sac to pic you and yours up. For up to a week, you don't spend a dime. Yup, that's what I said. I may not be up to alot of hiking, but we'll put you up and make sure you find some color. I can GAURANTEE it! We're 52 miles from Yosemite, about 50 from Lake Tahoe, and close to Reno. The caveat is you gotta "go around"! We're in the Sierras. SNOW. Anyways, beautiful area. Here's a pic of me 3/4 of the way down to the Stanislaus from the front door! Come on out! TTC

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 1,029

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terry,wow that sure is a really nice offer you made to anybody here.
your are a special person to do this because not many people would make that
kind od an offer.
just wondering, what's the name of the town you live in?
in your picture, wow that sure looks like a very steep climb.
thanks much, take care and be carefull out there. ron

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maui said:
kind od an offer.
Maui,
Thank you very much but I really don't consider myself any more special than the average joe. The only differance is I have the time, space, and means to make that offer. Murphys is a small town of about 1700 on a weekday and 10,000 on a weekend. On hwy 4 up at about 1,700 feet. When it rains in Sac during the winter, we can be snowed in for days up here. We are self-reliant by necessity. We live 5 miles east of Murphys but it takes 15 minutes to get down there. We're up at 3,000 feet. The road is a white knuckle ride to first-timers up here. We are more apt to see turkeys, deer, bears or bobcats than people. It is beautiful up here. To live up here is to know God exists. Now, we're getting away from the thread.... come on over! TTC

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
maui said:
kind od an offer.
Maui,
Thank you very much but I really don't consider myself any more special than the average joe. The only differance is I have the time, space, and means to make that offer. Murphys is a small town of about 1700 on a weekday and 10,000 on a weekend. On hwy 4 up at about 1,700 feet. When it rains in Sac during the winter, we can be snowed in for days up here. We are self-reliant by necessity. We live 5 miles east of Murphys but it takes 15 minutes to get down there. We're up at 3,000 feet. The road is a white knuckle ride to first-timers up here. We are more apt to see turkeys, deer, bears or bobcats than people. It is beautiful up here. To live up here is to know God exists. Now, we're getting away from the thread.... come on over! TTC
:o

lbell

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Terry: i know that spot well in fact i was there this memorial day weekend. there is still a lot of gold there in fact had you moved down stream about 100 yards and across the river from your camp site (dont that up and down to the river really work the knees.) you would have found the ancient terrtiary channel about 25 feet up the hillside . where you were has a great bar on the road side and bed rock cliff on the other.and yes it has been hit hard three years ago or so some guys brought in some serious dredge equipment and killed that spot.but there is still alot of gold just down from there.on the up side of where you were camped there are some very large trout. and tasty too. hope you find more gold next time. Larry ;D

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lbell said:
Terry: i know that spot well in fact i was there this memorial day weekend. there is still a lot of gold there in fact had you moved down stream about 100 yards and across the river from your camp site (dont that up and down to the river really work the knees.) you would have found the ancient terrtiary channel about 25 feet up the hillside . where you were has a great bar on the road side and bed rock cliff on the other.and yes it has been hit hard three years ago or so some guys brought in some serious dredge equipment and killed that spot.but there is still alot of gold just down from there.on the up side of where you were camped there are some very large trout. and tasty too. hope you find more gold next time. Larry ;D
Ok Larry,
I'll do some re-thinking on the location! TimC was doing the trout thing. He likes fly-fishing; I like live bait. We had no live bait so no trout. They were spooky that trip. Thanks for the info.... now I gotta convince the ranger to let us highbank the tertiary gravels! TTC

lbell

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Terry: yes those trout are spooky. but they will hit hard on these new spinner lures from wal-mart for 6.99. i had to run in to sonora this last week end to get a new air mattress and saw them and thought i would give them a try and they work great. that is untill the river rose two feet in six hours it was moving so hard you could hear the boulders hitting each other under the water it sounded like a bowling alley. lucky for me i decided to leave my trommel on the trailer and just do some sluicing instead the entire bar where we camping went under. as for the ranger i have yet to see one out there only fire and chris the federal law enforcement agent.but all that aside it is a good spot with alot of gold to still be had. and if you are a gpaa member you can use the claims at and below 5 mile creek alot of gold comes out of there and heads down stream.but the creek is all privatley owend and pattented .good hunting Larry :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Takota. Larry,
I've become a basically bait guy. I did the fly-tying thing. Rod building; stirring up the bottom to find out what nymphs to immitate. But now I'm HUNGRY! I grew up in Wisconsin. The trout MONSTERS were 12 to 14 inches. Except Lake Michigan. The trout HERE are monsters. Love it! I am a GPAA member. I also was law enforcement for over 20 years. Doing right is in my blood. I'll be checking on the highbanking and if it is ok, get out of my way! I'll be going through the gravels like a (WI) badger! TTC

lbell

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Terry: I am sorry if i gave anyone the impression that it is o.k. to break the LAW( even though i personally feel many were and still are passed and made LAW simply out of emotional or personal agenda or even worse yet down right ignorance of the topic to which the bill came up in the first place.) yes one should check with the ranger station pryor to working you are right. Larry :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lbell said:
Terry: I am sorry if i gave anyone the impression that it is o.k. to break the LAW( even though i personally feel many were and still are passed and made LAW simply out of emotional or personal agenda or even worse yet down right ignorance of the topic to which the bill came up in the first place.) yes one should check with the ranger station pryor to working you are right. Larry :icon_thumright:
Larry,
Nothing implied... now make sure you VOTE! That is where our strength is... as a group. Take care, TTC

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terry, thanks much for the invite. right now i am not sure when i will be able to get there [ to many things to deal with here right now ].
that sure is beautifull country up there. i did google earth where you live and all the area looks like my kind of place.
take care and be carefull out there. ron

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maui said:
terry, thanks much for the invite. right now i am not sure when i will be able to get there [ to many things to deal with here right now ].
that sure is beautifull country up there. i did google earth where you live and all the area looks like my kind of place.
take care and be carefull out there. ron
Ron,
Google it up again. The house is at 38 09.520N 120 23.441W. The lot is the So. 1/2 of the NW corner of sec.36. Runs a half mile east and west and a 1/4 mile wide. Quartz viens everywhere and two mine shafts close enough to walk to. And a "flume" running the length of the property for a finned lunch! Now, as I said, all are welcome but invite ONLY. This is all private property and everbody looks out for each other. Also, the twin bridges is the place you will put the inner tube in if you wish to go "flumin". We'll pull you out about a mile downstream.... if you're not frozen the death! Wait'n on YOU! TTC

SCBUZZ

Mar 27, 2010
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry thanks very much for the invite. And I promise ya if I can get out that way I will look you up. Good people are getting very hard to find . :icon_thumright:

yttrabbit

Dec 10, 2009
Oakdale, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, FisherGold Bug 2, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Garrett Pro Pin Pointer,
Terry,
My partner and I would like to add you to our list of friends who like to gold detect. We have 720 acres of claims on the Tuolumne River, two above Groveland and two just outside Yosemite. Anytime you want to hook up and check it out drop me a line. This morning we ran into a 150 lb Mountain Lion so from here on out I'm carrying. Email me for more information or if your even interested. Would love to learn more about prospecting.
Ron

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yttrabbit said:
Terry,
My partner and I would like to add you to our list of friends who like to gold detect. We have 720 acres of claims on the Tuolumne River, two above Groveland and two just outside Yosemite. Anytime you want to hook up and check it out drop me a line. This morning we ran into a 150 lb Mountain Lion so from here on out I'm carrying. Email me for more information or if your even interested. Would love to learn more about prospecting.
Ron

Yttrabbitt,
We will look you up very soon, for sure. We are entertaining a beautifull woman from Brasilia right now so we are busy. And I don't know Portuegese! Ouch!...... Later. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions