Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: best sluice for fine gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Mar 2010
    N.C.
    MXT 6x10dd-4x6dd
    45

    best sluice for fine gold

    share your thoughts on the best fine gold sluice,any and all is greatly appreciated,i cant decide . Angus Mackirk,keene52,La sluice,ez sluice, this sluice that sluice,need some info

  2. #2
    Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2009
    The NO town, CA
    Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
    513
    2 times

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    my vote would be for the Angus MacKirk. I have used the Keenes, Le Traps, you name it, and the Angus seems to hold onto the small (say 50 mesh or smaller) gold very easily, and the cleanup is a snap! I like the Le Trap too, but they are a bit too wide, and cleanup can get messy and cause you to lose some of the cons while trying to empty it into a 5 gal bucket. Plus you need to build a frame for the Le Trap, and the Angus sits perfect in the creek. Just my two cents anyway!

    KEverett

  3. #3
    us
    Jan 2008
    Villa Rica georgia
    gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
    1,835
    55 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    i like the letrap for fines-and not too much cons.i haven't tried the mckirk.
    no matter where you go,there you are!

  4. #4

    Jun 2008
    Omaha NE
    F70 / ACE 250
    230

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    You have to build a frame for the le trap?? I only ask because I just bought one and was planning on taking it out tomorrow. I hadn't seen anything about building a frame for it...

  5. #5
    us
    Mar 2010
    N.C.
    MXT 6x10dd-4x6dd
    45

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    thanks strickman and KEv just the two cent im looking for

  6. #6
    us
    Apr 2010
    7

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    I've been thinking about buying an Angus. Everyone says they're great for fine gold but how are they with any larger gold (pickers or nuggets). I'd hate to see any of them 1 ounce nuggets roll down the sluice and down the creek. Ounce nuggets well I might as well dream big!






  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2009
    The NO town, CA
    Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
    513
    2 times

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    Quote Originally Posted by packfan_1982
    You have to build a frame for the le trap?? I only ask because I just bought one and was planning on taking it out tomorrow. I hadn't seen anything about building a frame for it...

    I should say that you don't "have" to build a frame, but because of its size and the thin plastic material, it is prone to bending slightly to one side or the other when placed in a strong current. When it is bolted onto a metal frame (not a stand) you can then place a rock on top of the sluice, and it helps keep it from twisting around. Don't get me wrong I think the LeTrap is a great sluice, in fact it is the best if you don't plan on classifying your material first, but for fine gold only I would go with an Angus MacKirk. The Le Trap is a great sluice for running bucket after bucket of unclassified material, or just shoveling straight into....with the Angus you will need to classify everything down to 1/4" or less to make it run correctly. The great thing about the Angus MacKirk sluices, is that even just a trickle of running water will be enough to run it. Unlike the Keenes, Wolf Traps, Prolines, etc. that need a pretty good current to clear the box out properly. Sorry for any confusion about the frame....its not a must have, but after using it for a while you will see what I mean about twisting. The main thing it helps with is keeping the sluice level from side to side (not top to bottom). Although I really want to see the new keene plastic sluice in action....looks pretty good, but a pain to build before you run.

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2009
    The NO town, CA
    Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
    513
    2 times

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    Quote Originally Posted by downhome47
    I've been thinking about buying an Angus. Everyone says they're great for fine gold but how are they with any larger gold (pickers or nuggets). I'd hate to see any of them 1 ounce nuggets roll down the sluice and down the creek. Ounce nuggets well I might as well dream big!







    If it will hold the 50 mesh stuff it will hold the bigger stuff for sure!! I've never seen a 1 oz nugget in my sluice before, but all of the decent flakes tend to get stuck on the flare of the grubstake model that I have. It takes a while for them to move their way down to the first drop riffle. Makes it really easy to tell if you are onto the good gold because it will be holding right in the flair after all the material runs down and looks soooooo pretty staring back at you!!

  9. #9
    us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    3,969
    2306 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    Le Trap for me always. Even the thieves love them because I've had 2 stolen at different times!! Frame?? Frame?? Don' need no stinkn' frame-John

  10. #10
    jog
    jog is offline
    us
    jog

    Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    1,166
    308 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    Quote Originally Posted by KEverett
    Quote Originally Posted by packfan_1982
    You have to build a frame for the le trap?? I only ask because I just bought one and was planning on taking it out tomorrow. I hadn't seen anything about building a frame for it...

    I should say that you don't "have" to build a frame, but because of its size and the thin plastic material, it is prone to bending slightly to one side or the other when placed in a strong current. When it is bolted onto a metal frame (not a stand) you can then place a rock on top of the sluice, and it helps keep it from twisting around. Don't get me wrong I think the LeTrap is a great sluice, in fact it is the best if you don't plan on classifying your material first, but for fine gold only I would go with an Angus MacKirk. The Le Trap is a great sluice for running bucket after bucket of unclassified material, or just shoveling straight into....with the Angus you will need to classify everything down to 1/4" or less to make it run correctly. The great thing about the Angus MacKirk sluices, is that even just a trickle of running water will be enough to run it. Unlike the Keenes, Wolf Traps, Prolines, etc. that need a pretty good current to clear the box out properly. Sorry for any confusion about the frame....its not a must have, but after using it for a while you will see what I mean about twisting. The main thing it helps with is keeping the sluice level from side to side (not top to bottom). Although I really want to see the new keene plastic sluice in action....looks pretty good, but a pain to build before you run.
    JOBE makes a collapsible stand for the LE Trap sluice for right around $75.00.
    Those Who Say It Can't Be Done Shouldn't Interupt Those That Are Doing It.

  11. #11
    um
    Nov 2007
    gpx4500, t2
    61
    5 times

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    howdy, i havn't used the others, always used keene stuff. i have all of them, and after ten years of use, and over 30 ounces of gold, its hard to think of using another! But it is interesting, though. As far as fine gold, the 50 inch a51 sluice is really good. i did 230 grains the other day in just 3hrs with the a51. A lot of it was fine. Its all about the flow and angle.

  12. #12
    us
    Apr 2010
    Fogelsville,Pa
    64
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    My bet would be on the Angus McKirk sluice......
    Go down several posts,(nottinon),you will find on Angus sluice,with water running in it,the last rifle is called a gold catcher.......if you get gold that big.......
    Good luck.....
    Feed me-Feed me

  13. #13

    May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    3,109
    715 times

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    my favorit for concentrating fine gold(powder) is a sluice with only black ribbed rubber mat and fed with a autofeeder. i have a LeTrap,DFS,blue bowl,had a wheel(got rid of it) and lots of other equipment. but for really fine gold cons,i use the ribbed mat.
    Goodyguy likes this.

  14. #14
    us
    Apr 2010
    Fogelsville,Pa
    64
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    Quote Originally Posted by russau
    my favorit for concentrating fine gold(powder) is a sluice with only black ribbed rubber mat and fed with a autofeeder. i have a LeTrap,DFS,blue bowl,had a wheel(got rid of it) and lots of other equipment. but for really fine gold cons,i use the ribbed mat.
    Russau
    I got a Blue Bowl for Fathers Day today.......
    Had several bags of sand,I bought from the GPAA Club I belong to......We ran it true,nice stuff......
    It works really well......
    That is on amazing Bowl.....
    N
    Feed me-Feed me

  15. #15
    us
    Jun 2010
    233
    160 times

    Re: best sluice for fine gold

    Russau is absolutely right!

    All you need for a fine gold recovery sluice is a simple trough with the black ribbed matting. And you don't need to use a flare with it. Just leave about a foot of slick plate at the head of it. What is so neat, is you can see all the gold you are getting, and you can leave it in place for hours, and the gold will still be stuck in the matting! Cleanup is so easy too. Just tilt it up vertically, and wash it into your pan or bucket.

    I wash it into a rectangular Le Trap pan, and get nothing but clean gold to sniff up. No heavy buckets of black sand to deal with! LeTrap will leave
    nothing but gold in it.

    And just for testing, I use some rectangular plastic storm gutter with the ribbed matting in it. A poop tube without the poop!
    I mainly sit down and clean out dirty cracks, as I have a chronic bad back, and am laaaazy. Sniping is where its at, if you are fat and lazy like me.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best fine gold sluice

,
best gold sluice boxes
,

best sluice

,

best sluice box for fine gold

,

best sluice for fine gold

,

fine gold sluice

,
fine gold sluice box
,
flour gold sluice box
,
the best sluice boxes
,

what is the best sluice box for fine gold

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3