Claim Search

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Greycloud

Be VERY VERY VERY careful when buying a claim. There are alot of scams out there. People selling non existant claims or claims that are not theirs, worthless claims that never had gold on them, claims that don't have any access, or claims that are located in areas that have been closed to mineral extraction (mining). Use the BLM LR2000 program to locate the claim you are interested in. From there you can find ownership and addresses and if the area is closed, active claim or inactive. You can also call the BLM office in the area you are interested in for more information. I would suggest contacting the claim owner an visit the claim and test it if it is possible. Never buy site unseen. Good luck.

B H Prospector

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLM and the county hold the info you desire as Lr2000 and GeoCom EXTREMELYunreliable. Test ,test and more testing is required before you plop your $$$$$$$$$$ on the line. Test spots YOU have chosen and NOT owner salted spots either :P as it's the oldest scam on earth. John

OP
OP
GrayCloud

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Thanks B.H. and Hoser John. I have never bought or filed for a claim before, therefore your info is very valuable and appreciated. Not really looking for a big operation, just something for the family to enjoy, with the chance of making a little profit. I will follow your advise. :thumbsup:

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another option - Many claim holders here in Cal, when asked for the permission, will not mind if you were just wanting to pan or sluice, some will actually allow you to dredge (in the days when we could dredge here). Just ask and it usually is not a problem at all.
And if you are looking to buy research the claim thoroughly and try before you buy. Like a automobile and if the seller has a problem then look elsewhere.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the geocomunicator is very unreliable and the BLM admits it openly (claim boundries do not show acuratly), the LR200 info is acurate ad is updated every few days. Info such as ownership, claim names and claim statis is accurate. Hoser has a very good point about testing where you want and not the sellers salted spots.

B H Prospector

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lr2000 still after over 20 years has not listed a number of my claims and many MANY others filed daily---caveat emptor-John :tongue3:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just read 2 more posts this am on other forums by folks who got screwed by this bs recently(GPAA & 49er)--and the ignorance plays on ???

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
You might look up what clubs are in your area. They usually have claims you can use without the hassle. Doug.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the video but shouldn't he have found the gold before he claimed it?

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
According to my books you have to make a discovery before filing a claim. My information says that "neither hope no expectation constitute a discovery" also "the discovery must be of sufficient value to prove that the mine may be operated at a profit". Too many people are doing what is called paper staking. Filing a claim with no idea of the mineral content, then selling them on eBay etc. to unwary or unsuspecting people. Doug.

buckyboy

Nov 19, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug has nailed this one. Paper staking going on a lot, one of them in Cedar Ridge a real scum sucker and not liked by the BLM staff in Sacramento. This person has been selling numerous claims on ebay.

Know of another person who has claimed up large stretches in Mariposa County. He has not planted a monument on several that I have checked out, but has paperwork in order up at BLM in Sactown. Phony pictures and phony discovery.

Be very careful of land locked claims. A property owner does not have to let you pass to get to BLM land. I don't blame them as more and more private property owners are gating off their property. I would be tired of the tweekers, thieves, and growers crapping on our beautiful back country.

Gold will be moving this year, hit the Auburn Rec area as the river recedes after run off, it is free except park usage fee. More rain, the better. A lot lot lot lot lot lot lot of rain would be even way way way better!

Landlockt

Jan 19, 2011
Doug Watson said:
According to my books you have to make a discovery before filing a claim. My information says that "neither hope no expectation constitute a discovery" also "the discovery must be of sufficient value to prove that the mine may be operated at a profit". Too many people are doing what is called paper staking. Filing a claim with no idea of the mineral content, then selling them on eBay etc. to unwary or unsuspecting people. Doug.

Does it make a difference if it was an expired claim or not?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Landlockt said:
Doug Watson said:

Does it make a difference if it was an expired claim or not?

That's what I was wondering .......Once it was established to be a gold producer, does it have to once again be proven profitable to re file an expired claim?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

In 09 I filed on an old depression era claim that hadn't been worked since WW II. All I had todo was file the papers with the BLM and county and inform the forest service since it was on forest service land and it was mine. They don't check it to see if it is a profitable claim as they know most aren't and most of the claimants are recreational miners. But at $189.00 plus county fees it would be foolish to file on dead ground unless you plan to scam people in a sale.

B H Prospector

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
They'll take your money but the law states "Within 90 days after the date of location of any lode or placer claim, the locater must sink a discovery shaft upon the claim to a depth of least 10 feet from the lowest part of the rim of the shaft at the surface, or shall drive a tunnel, adit or open cut upon the claim to at least 10 feet below the surface. The locator of a placer claim may within 90 days after the date of location, excavate an open cut upon the claim removing not less than 7 cubic yards of material. The discovery work in all cases must be made wheather it is a new location or a relocation." This is quoted from a book I have called "United States Mining Laws and Land Office Rules". Doug.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug Watson said:
They'll take your money but the law states "Within 90 days after the date of location of any lode or placer claim, the locater must sink a discovery shaft upon the claim to a depth of least 10 feet from the lowest part of the rim of the shaft at the surface, or shall drive a tunnel, adit or open cut upon the claim to at least 10 feet below the surface. The locator of a placer claim may within 90 days after the date of location, excavate an open cut upon the claim removing not less than 7 cubic yards of material. The discovery work in all cases must be made wheather it is a new location or a relocation." This is quoted from a book I have called "United States Mining Laws and Land Office Rules". Doug.

So I wonder what happens after the 90 day deadline? Does the claim go up for re claiming by another party?

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
"It has been decided by the courts that failure to do discovery work within the 90 day period after the location does not forfeit the location if the work is done and an amended location showing the performances of discovery work is recorded prior to the time when some other person should locate the same ground. Amended locations may be made at any time to cure any defective, erroneous or other matter required by law or if the requirements of the law have not been complied with before filing, provided such amendment does not interfere with the rights of others which have intervened." This is also out of the book. If you really get down to it, it looks like most claims out there could be invalidated if they wanted to. Doug.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Hi Graycloud
To start with you could join GPAA and sluice on their claims.
www.goldprospectors.org or 1-800-551-9707
They have numerous claims, give it a try.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread