Trommel Build

lbell

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
WOW: that is nice really first rate work! :icon_thumright: i built my own trommel awhile back and it's been my experience that only steel will hold up to the abuse that a trommel gets.keene dredge riffles work great in the sluice. 1/4 inch punch plate is a must have.I'm just going to trow this out there but i believe the only way to make your drum set up work the way that you want it to is to have counter rotating drums. and yes i know how complicated that would be not to mention the added weight but that's just the way i see things . i hope this helps and once again nice nice work .LARRY

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Larry
Thanks for the look over and the comments. This is my first trommel and I have no practical experience at all. I don't think I could engineer counter rotating drums that would be workable in the field. I did plan to put a grizzly to limit the size of rock to around 1 inch. I'll have to see how the aluminum holds up. If something doesn't work, I have no problem modifying it. 1/4" holes are in the second tube. I'll try to get some more pics up soon.

Rick

lbell

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Rick it's looking great! I hate to be a butt in but I'm my opinion you will need more slope to your hopper unless you plan on pushing your material in by hand. also are you planning on putting trough or pan if you will underneath to run the fines through the sluice?p.s. i thought up a way to do the counter rotating drums but its some what complicated.the only reason i say counter the drums is to get your material moving up one drum and back the other way on the next and so on . i cant wait to see it finished good luck and lots of AU to you .Larry

mdvga

Feb 28, 2013
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Other
So what was the outcome of this build? did it work? How efficient was it?
This is a good subject to explore.
Can anyone give us an update?
mdvga

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gorgeous metal work!!! Hope it is durable enough for the material you are targeting...like others, I would love to see it in operation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread