OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
Astrobouncer said:
I think it looks great for your first sluice man. Much better then my first one, for sure. One thing you should check is shine a flashlight in front of the riffles and make sure no lights coming through underneath them, as fine gold will work its way out if it is.

excellent tip, i'm sure it does, i just placed my order for a 10"X36" piece of 3M Miners moss, I purchased the current moss a couple months back and didn't realize it wasnt the real-deal, its only 1/4" tall and not mushy like 3M. Soon as that comes in the riffle assembly will actually be pushing down on the moss instead of sitting on top of it! thanks for the positive comment!

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
also, where are you guys getting your 4lb raised expanded metal? i found a site but not sure if its the real deal
http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=expanded&LimAcc=$LimAcc
product number: E1349S
fair price in my opinion, $20 for a 1ftX4ft sheet.

I haven't seen "raised" expanded at lowes or home depot, only flat expanded, any ideas on that?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you need to turn the bolt/wing nut around and get it out of the water/material stream. this will cause trubidity and keep the fines in suspension and help to lose it!

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
russau said:
you need to turn the bolt/wing nut around and get it out of the water/material stream. this will cause trubidity and keep the fines in suspension and help to lose it!

If this is designed correctly and the proper material is used, I hope to be catching my fines before they hit that point. Excellent suggestion and I'll have to do that! Thanks Russ!

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
heres some pics of the sluice in operation, it performed flawlessly! only improvements need to be bracing due to being such a thin guage of sheet metal, or I can come back and just bend another sheet of thicker guage, it caught some VERY FINE gold! I was very pleased with its performance! I'll post pics of the micron gold it caught later!

5b3b965f.jpg

7a85d566.jpg

ba6481e6.jpg

0a02ff48.jpg

I'm working with HoserJohn on a new matting to run in the sluice, hopefully we can come up with something that will catch even more gold!

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookin good there. Could pop rivet a length of 3/4" box along outer top edge - both sides - should stiffen it up. Nuggy

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
nuggy said:
Lookin good there. Could pop rivet a length of 3/4" box along outer top edge - both sides - should stiffen it up. Nuggy

thanks for the advice!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the carpet Hoser has is good! i aquired some for my over under 4 inch dredge but have been unable to try it out because of the weather. but in Aug and sept im going to give her heck! youll be happy with what Johns suggestion!

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
russau said:
the carpet Hoser has is good! i aquired some for my over under 4 inch dredge but have been unable to try it out because of the weather. but in Aug and sept im going to give her heck! youll be happy with what Johns suggestion!

thanks Russ! :icon_thumleft: hope the weather clears up for you so you can go get that GOLD!

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a look at my Long John Super Sluice I have been working on. It's 14 1/2" wide X 5 1/2 feet long. (I call it a Long John instead of a Long Tom, because it gives you warm fuzzy feeling that you are getting all the gold! LOL)

100_0152.jpg

This has Miner's Moss in Drop Riffles with 3/8" & 1/4" punch plate flat over top.
100_0153.jpg

Then the dirt hits the riffles over vortex mating! (I also have the option of adding Miner's moss over the vortex matting!)
100_0154.jpg

The biggest problem is that is takes Niagra Falls water flow to work! LOL (OK, MAYBE not that much water flow.) I still have a few finishing touches I need to do to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread