Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: homemade sluice box **COMPLETE** Lots of Pics

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2011
    White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
    5 times

homemade sluice box **COMPLETE** Lots of Pics

i have all the material to do a sluice box and i have tried bending the aluminum sheeting for the side walls with a hammer and a straight-concrete edge, it worked but looks HIDEOUS! does anyone know anybody that sells sluice box housing without the guts? basically just the sheet aluminum pre-bent? thanks in advance!

www.southeasterngold.com
    http://goldprospectingtips.blogspot.com

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    308 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: homemade sluice box

I had mine bent at a local heating and sheatmetal shop, 5'x16" for right around $60.00.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1798.JPG 
Views:	7658 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	52286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1798.JPG 
Views:	3640 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	527636  
    Those Who Say It Can't Be Done Shouldn't Interupt Those That Are Doing It.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    714 times

most any sheetmetal shop will do it for you! 8 years ago i had one bent for $10.i now have my own brake.

us
    May 2009

Look up Heckler Fabrication. He has all types of pre-bent boxes that are top quality.

us
    Jul 2010
    57 times

Local sheet metal shop. Probably cost less than the shipping of one pre bent. Doug.

us
    Mar 2011
    5 times

Thanks for all the tips!!!

www.southeasterngold.com

us
    Mar 2011
    5 times

totally forgot my uncle does heating and air, he has a 10ft brake bender!!! so i bought a sheet today and got him to bend it for me, its going to be a 48" X 10" sluice, building it now, pics soon to come!

need some tips for riffles as I will be adding them to the expanded metal in the future. any ideas?? thanks in advance

www.southeasterngold.com

us
    Mar 2011
    5 times

Status so far, just got everything fabbed up, nothing is secured just gonna look at it over the coming days on how to improve. A handle will be added to the side for ease of carrying.
    Any advice would be nice.

Materials

Rubber mat cut (10" X 36")

Nomad cut (10" X 24")

Expanded Metal Cut ( 10" X 24" covering nomad)

Ribbed Carpet Mat cut ( 10" X 12")

I'm most likely going to glue the rubber matting to the sluice. It runs from beginning of sluice all the way to end of nomad/expanded metal. I am going to build a riffle/ramp from the rubber to the top of the expanded metal so I don't get any blockage there. I may come back and weld riffles to the expanded metal. Still got a ways to go as far as bracing, riffles, flare, and finish up. I'll update with pics as progress continues. Any ideas or changes u fellas would make? Thanks!

www.southeasterngold.com

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    308 times

I wouldn't weld the riffles to the expanded due to air gaps between the riffles and the carpet. Have your uncle bend your riffle's on his break. I would build all pieces separately so you can disassemble for cleanup. Good luck....
    Those Who Say It Can't Be Done Shouldn't Interupt Those That Are Doing It.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    714 times

i welded my "raised" expanded to the bottom of my riffels so that it all is bottomed out when clamped down. i wouldnt glue the carpet down.youll never get it cleaned out if you do! otherwise your doing good!

us
    Mar 2011
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by russau
    i welded my "raised" expanded to the bottom of my riffels so that it all is bottomed out when clamped down. i wouldnt glue the carpet down.youll never get it cleaned out if you do! otherwise your doing good!
    i planned on glueing the carpet down because it is so dern thin! lol! my EZ Sluice by JOBE is the same way except the tiny rippled carpet is actually plastic, it does not come out and isnt hard to get clean, but i like your idea and would MUCH rather do it that way, BUT any ideas on how to secure the rubber matting down other than glueing?

need some ideas on clamp setups, ex: clamping my expanded metal down, etc, i had planned on using a wing-nut and drill a hole through the sluice but dont really want to damage it

www.southeasterngold.com

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    714 times

need some ideas on clamp setups, ex: clamping my expanded metal down, etc, i had planned on using a wing-nut and drill a hole through the sluice but dont really want to damage it
    [/quote] this is the way the DFS sluice holds down their screen moss, but make sure if you do it this way to keep the wing nut parrallel with the water flow to prevent additional rippels in the water that "can" disturb your concentrating efforts.

us
    Mar 2011
    5 times

russau, thanks for the comments/tips! I am currently studying the Clarkson study and will be building my sluice to those specs, on a smaller scale though! My project is on hold until I can find time to finish reading!!! I plan on this sluice having 95-99% recovery rate! wish me luck

www.southeasterngold.com

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Wave table, etc.
    1876 times

Quote Originally Posted by prospectordamon
    russau, thanks for the comments/tips! I am currently studying the Clarkson study and will be building my sluice to those specs, on a smaller scale though! My project is on hold until I can find time to finish reading!!! I plan on this sluice having 95-99% recovery rate! wish me luck
    Good to see you studying riffle design, Damon

I've found that the design of the Clarkson riffle system is a little too aggressive for use in a hand sluice, unless you can get enough water speed and the recommended 3" per foot of drop, due to the 1" height and recommended angle of the riffles themselves.

They are terrific however when used in a high banker or wash plant sluice where the recommended GPM and drop ratio can be maintained.
    To be used in a hand sluice. I recommend Clarkson's "NO" riffles design using 4lb raised expanded metal only over your mat. (perfect for use with a slower water speed)

Be sure to use the 4lb expanded as Clarkson suggests. Paying close attention to the orientation of the expanded metal. (be sure the angle is leaning forward toward the water exit) *Do not use flat expanded or double expanded.

*The riffle assembly is bolted to the trough down from the water entry end, (to make a pivot point) When lowered over the raised expanded metal and mat it is then clamped at the water exit end by a pivoted handle. *see attached photo.

Hope this helps,
    GG~

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a52.jpg 
Views:	8570 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	528812
    ~Diggin The Adventure~
    Visit My Personal Forum Pages

us
    Mar 2011
    5 times

Ight guys, I'm stuck. I need your help designing a riffle tray. I just realized the expanded metal I got is not 4# it's just flat so I want to do a riffle tray for now then come back and add 4# expanded. What should I use for the ruffles and how do I build the tray? I would like to duplicate the Keene a52 riffle tray setup. What parts are required for this?

www.southeasterngold.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors