Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,
The last weekend was quit successful, here are the results of the past days:

Here is a picture of my original box:
IMG_20151101_175502.jpg
Too much stuff inside so let's get funny and cut things out:
IMG_20151101_184455.jpg

As mentioned before I taped one half of the holes (1/8) and drilled new one (2mm / 0,08 inch?).
Additionally I drilled 1/8" holes into the end of each tube:
IMG_20151101_212303.jpg

Next day I put everything together and tested again:
IMG_20151102_105827.jpg
I found that the diverter baffle is mandatory so I did a prove of concept:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGi4wDZnJURYjd1b19uTldLU2c/view?usp=sharing

Now the efficiency is as I imagined at the beginning of that project :headbang:
Than I got cocky and feed my tool with the semi-classified material (<1/2"?):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGi4wDZnJUReWpoQ0VWMkpESmM/view?usp=sharing

A slick plate helped a bit:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwGi4wDZnJURd0owRngwQTAyTHc/view?usp=sharing

Better than the first run, but definitely not what I expected. :icon_scratch:
The outcome was that I had to attach a classifier.
But how should I do that?
Just putting a classifier on top of the fluid bed makes no sense.
Needed some pump or stream driven feeding mechanism.
The solution was a slick plate with an attached punch plate.
Additionally I reused the cover from the box and cut out a bit.
IMG_20151102_150645.jpg

Here you can see the diverter baffle:
IMG_20151102_152730.jpg

I still hat no glue :laughing7: to assamble the pieces.

The solution was to use some old metal sheet, riveted it to the slick plate and glued (plastic pistol) it on the cover.
The punch plate is also glued on the cover.
IMG_20151102_170735.jpg
Tataaaaa! I created some kind of bazooka without intent, just evolution
With 4 screws i am able to detach the cover and plate so I can use the fluid bed as before. :icon_thumright:

I used my second 1100 gph pump and attached it to the slick plate and did a test run.
Unfortunately I have no video nor picture as it was dark already but I will create one later.

As far as I could see, it worked pretty well. Just the bigger pebbles, sorted out by the punch plate did not pass the "sluice" like the bazooka because all 1100 gallons got sucked by the fluid bed ^^.
So I had to clean it by hand after some time.

At least, it catches the swimming flaky stuff I am dealing with in our region.
IMG_20151102_223819.jpg

Explicit loss tests will be done another time.
Now it's time to go to the river! :3barsgold:

I'm looking forward to any comments or improvements you have.
Michael

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reality check

I wanted to give you an update concerning the river test.

First: The fluid bed worked.
Second: improvements needed.

I digged (2 hours) and pre-classified as I always do because the battery would not last so long (at least, I expect a drop down after 2 hours according to the spec)
Than I ran the material though the fluid bed:

[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwGi4wDZnJUROG5uSG4xQ3d3eFk[/video]

I put in a tiny mat for preview purposes, but I removed it later because I had to hurry a bit.
Additionally I panned out the tailings after each bucket quickly.

Results:
  • It catches gold :occasion14:
  • It looses gold :icon_scratch:
  • No direct shoveling possible yet :sadsmiley:

The losses were minimal but each flake counts. I expect it is related to the manual cleaning of the punch plate.
When I add too much material (1 tiny shovel should not be too much!) the punch plate gets clogged and the sand moves OVER the trap.
It could also be, that when I scratched the material off the plate, not all gold had the chance to drop into the box.

So the entry of the box has a major design issue because it should "auto-clean".
I assume that a punch plate is not the best solution, perhaps I should use an old piece of expanded metal I have somewhere.
The other thing is, that ALL of the water is running through the box. For moving some amount of water over the box I would need app. 3000 GPH just for feeding (currently a 1100gph pump is used) :censored:

Using a steeper angle is not feasible as already the current angle is at the cutting edge. Due to the feeding flow the first part of the trap gets washed down quickly.
First I was afraid of clogging the fluid bed by overfeeding the system. When I shut down the pumps after 5 minutes clearing, the first half of the trap was empty and the tubes were visible on the upper half (the lower end is not visible as I don't own X-Ray vision :tongue3:).
But feeding faster leaded to clogging the punch plate.

Btw, here is a picture of the concentrate of my fluid bed:
IMG_20151104_164118[1].jpg
Easy cleanout.
Just classified that stuff because unfortunately I catched only fine gold this time :(

IMG_20151104_202737[1].jpg

So for summary, I need a solution for my punch plate issue. Perhaps it solves the minor issue for loosing some gold (turbo-panning the tailings works but is not a long-lasting solution, more a workaround)

So if anyone ran into such issue, help would be much appreciated.

Ah and one additional note: Do not use melted plastic for load-bearing pieces. Due to the cold weather the plastic becomes brittle and when the box is filled with water it will brake as you may see in the video :lightbulb:

Michael

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A grizzly like the Bazooka will work much better than punch-plate or expanded. Sounds like you are having fun learning and testing :)

At the same time, reading this is reinforcing my feel that buying a proven product is probably a better move for me due to the lost gold at the creek, money spent on multiple versions of stuff and so on. I'm really enjoying reading this and I'm rooting for you to get it figured out!

PS when I run my Bazooka Sniper as a highbanker, I run 2100 gph thru it and it still all drops INTO the sluice. Still works well as long as I keep the sluice pretty flat. Add an angle and I start losing fine gold...I learned that the hard way of course!

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your answer Kevin.
In fact I HAVE TO do that. Kind of nature force.
My gold buddy (CEO of a small company) gets along with his self built sluice and is even happy with it. Enviable.
My thinking consists of "how does this thing work? How can I build it? How can I improve it?"
Btw. this is not working for doing the housework ...:laughing7:

So according to your answer a real grizzly is needed.
And I have to decrease the slope (at least this is an easy one).
But how do you get the bigger pebbles passing the sluice without water/slope?

I was thinking of buying a 36" Sniper but I got following answer:
Costs are as follows, not including your local VAT or GST.
Austria - $165.00 + $69.00 USPS Priority International = $234.00 USD
So in sum the sluice would cost around $285 here. Too much for buying a pig in a poke.
So I came to the idea to experiment with a fluid bed.
Additionally, I expect the Bazooka would not run here:

IMG_20151104_100124[1].jpg
Aaaand: I owned two bilge pumps and a battery doing nothing than ... yeah, nothing at all... ;)

A grizzly like the Bazooka will work much better than punch-plate or expanded. Sounds like you are having fun learning and testing :)

At the same time, reading this is reinforcing my feel that buying a proven product is probably a better move for me due to the lost gold at the creek, money spent on multiple versions of stuff and so on. I'm really enjoying reading this and I'm rooting for you to get it figured out!

PS when I run my Bazooka Sniper as a highbanker, I run 2100 gph thru it and it still all drops INTO the sluice. Still works well as long as I keep the sluice pretty flat. Add an angle and I start losing fine gold...I learned that the hard way of course!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped using diverter/float baffles as they scour out the box too much and cause overflow problems in my recirculating version. That's probably where you're loosing your gold.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it too tempting to, pass up anything that shows results, no matter how small.
I keep all of my cons., and any gain from previous attempts becomes the new standard.

If I ever decide to commit to be a real gold prospector, I'll need to move from Arkansas.

#/;0): ():

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GrĂĽĂź Gott AUT_Fraggle, you are right about needing a highbanker setup for that River. That's why I built mine too!

Run it flat and just push the rocks off as you feed it. It's still faster than classifying.

PS given your shipping/import situation, I understand your decision to build rather than buy :) Looking forward to seeing your golden success!

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GriaĂź di, Kevin ;)
Spoken: "greeas dee"

I have watched a couple of vids where people are using a zook as a Highbanker and almost all of them face the same "issue" too. Only those, using big pumps have enough water flow to kick the gravel off the sluice.
So I will have to find a grizzly bar somewhere. Won't be that easy but I will keep my eyes open.
And repair my Box. I think I will just screw the sides to the cover and it's done.
Capt Nemo's comment by removing the baffle will be tested.
But I added that piece because I had issues when I have not much flow on the slick plate so that the material did not move down to the bed.
Here is a quick sketch of the diverter baffle:
fluidbed.PNG

Perhaps I should change the position but I don't know yet.

As I have seen a Bazooka highbanker kit is on the way.
That would solve all issues but the money :coins:

GrĂĽĂź Gott AUT_Fraggle, you are right about needing a highbanker setup for that River. That's why I built mine too!

Run it flat and just push the rocks off as you feed it. It's still faster than classifying.
PS given your shipping/import situation, I understand your decision to build rather than buy :) Looking forward to seeing your golden success!

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
AUT ..on my homemade zook i used a section of birdcage for the grizzly ...does the trick very well and you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand / dumped one easily

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your tip!

[snip]
I just read, that the Bazooka is sold with an 1/8 inch grizzly (big one), so that seems to be the limit.
But Goodyguy stated above, that 1/2 inch material should be feasible...soooo :icon_scratch:

[snip]QUOTE]

My Bazooka has a 3/8" grizzly, so I think the 1/8" was a typo.

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Correct Dave,
regular: 3/8" O.C. , 3/32 diameter

so its about the same size of the holes of my punch plate.

Thanks for your tip!

[snip]
I just read, that the Bazooka is sold with an 1/8 inch grizzly (big one), so that seems to be the limit.
But Goodyguy stated above, that 1/2 inch material should be feasible...soooo :icon_scratch:

[snip]QUOTE]

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your tip!

[snip]

[snip]QUOTE]

I should have read Goodyguy's response first; sigh. He nailed it and you did not really therefore need my correction.

I started doing research on gold in Austria when I got assigned to Germany. I had a friend who flew for Pan Am out of Berlin, but lived in Austrian near KitzbĂĽhel with his German wife. We talked about going gold prospecting there but he told me since he could fly for free to the US (with his family), he would do his prospecting in California (this is late 1980's) and his tourist endeavors in Europe. So I never did dip a pan in Austria. Loved the country though; we had a Gasthaus we used to stay at in Matrei am Brenner that was superb!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is an 1/8th inch wire for a grizzly its not the size of classification..thats a "big grizzly" the regular is 3/32. the space between big grizzlies 3/8 the space between regular wires is 5/16. Big grizzly lets the same size material through as a typical bucket classifier with the exception of longer pebbles being able to get in and flat ones.
putting a punch plate in and ramping it up is just creating a way for fine gold to leave the box.....and the traps don't need additional baffles an open trap is best.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GriaĂź di, Kevin ;)
Spoken: "greeas dee"

I have watched a couple of vids where people are using a zook as a Highbanker and almost all of them face the same "issue" too. Only those, using big pumps have enough water flow to kick the gravel off the sluice.
So I will have to find a grizzly bar somewhere. Won't be that easy but I will keep my eyes open.
And repair my Box. I think I will just screw the sides to the cover and it's done.
Capt Nemo's comment by removing the baffle will be tested.
But I added that piece because I had issues when I have not much flow on the slick plate so that the material did not move down to the bed.
Here is a quick sketch of the diverter baffle:
View attachment 1232142

Perhaps I should change the position but I don't know yet.

As I have seen a Bazooka highbanker kit is on the way.
That would solve all issues but the money :coins:

There are a couple of notable differences between what you show in your diagram and how the bazooka is configured.

First...In a bazooka the collection box begins directly below the highest point of the grizzly section where you show yours to begin at the lowest point. Between the low point and the high point of the grizzly on a bazooka is an extension of the slick plate to the point of drop off into the box.

Second...From the pictures I have seen the diverter is a piece of ABS plastic sheet, of unknown thickness, glued to the ceiling of the box area with the leading edge about where you show your diverter. I have been led to believe from a couple of different posts that that thickness varies from model to model but it does not protrude near as far down as your diverter. My guess is they are varied standard ABS thicknesses.

Those are a couple of design changes that I would start with.

Good luck.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another grizzly option would be the sort of grill you cook on when camping. Maybe used or free, then cut to size of course.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I made my grizzly from sections of aluminum rod and spaced and secured them to my zook about 3/8 " apart. They are short and thick enough that I don't have to worry about them bending with regular use.

Last edited:

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks a lot for that. It made some things clear.
Especially the positioning of the grizzly.
The diverter is a sheet of aluminium where I taped some holes. I can easily change the angle.
The position and layout of the cover of the collection box will be more difficult.
I need a creative hour for finding a solution.
So planning could be done next week, implementation .... we'll see ;)

There are a couple of notable differences between what you show in your diagram and how the bazooka is configured.

First...In a bazooka the collection box begins directly below the highest point of the grizzly section where you show yours to begin at the lowest point. Between the low point and the high point of the grizzly on a bazooka is an extension of the slick plate to the point of drop off into the box.

Second...From the pictures I have seen the diverter is a piece of ABS plastic sheet, of unknown thickness, glued to the ceiling of the box area with the leading edge about where you show your diverter. I have been led to believe from a couple of different posts that that thickness varies from model to model but it does not protrude near as far down as your diverter. My guess is they are varied standard ABS thicknesses.

Those are a couple of design changes that I would start with.

Good luck.

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quickfix

Short update:

I removed the punch plate, turned it by 180°, moved it and reattached it to the slick plate according to the point arizau made above.
Also changed the diverter baffle a bit (not that deep any more, but the old position)
As I forgot the part of the cover I cut out at the beginning I did a quick fix by using an old metal part and lots of duckt tape :headbang:
Also I repaired the sides using a small torch.

IMG_20151115_234439.jpg

I am still looking for a better grizzly, but time will come.

I keep my fingers crossed that it still works on the creek. At least I don't cut my fingers by brushing the inlet :hello2:

Best regards,
Michael

AUT_Fraggle

Oct 27, 2015
Salzburg
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Preparing for next session. Or: Duct tape construction

Today i "tested" the new design in my bath tube.
Just the water flow, otherwise my wife would have killed me 8-)
As the slick plate punch plate and cover is now almost parallel I expect that the gravel will move better over the punch plate (to be proven).
But again, same situation as shown on the videos above i think I have not enough space to stratify the gravel before passing the punch plate.
I saw the funnel for my sluice box and tried to attach it to the slick plate but is was too wide (~ 2"). Sure it would be possible to construct an adapter but I have no tools here for that work.
But I had the most important prototyping tool existing: duct tape! :thumbsup:

IMG_20151116_223009.jpg

Just for testing I also placed some small ribbed matting behind the beginning of the punch plate for preview.
Don't know if it will work. It's just an option.

IMG_20151116_222914.jpg

My plan is, as before, to just pumping the water from the hose directly into the funnel. The given length should stratify the material enough, even with non-classified material (another test for wednesday).

So, the battery is being charged at the moment, finishing tomorrow.

Michael

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread