OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
YOU KNOW THAT WE ARE ALL, WANTING AND WAITING TO APPROVE THE PLANS. :evil5:

WE KNOW THAT THEY WILL REFLECT YOUR BRILLIANCE. :sign13:

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS.
MIKE
:coffee2: :coffee2:

Oooooh No pressure ........ Just be brilliant :laughing7:
Actually there is nothing wrong with the original design, it's just that I like to tinker and see how many different ways I can build a mousetrap.
Or fine tune an already working one.

Seems I may have to postpone the unveiling until after my appointment with a commercial mining equipment manufacturer next month.
Sorry for the tease, it just came to my attention after I had already posted about my design change.

May everyone have a Merry Christmas :icon_santa: and a Happy and prosperous New Year! :occasion18:
GG~

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Merry Christmas to all. :notworthy:

Looking forward to your latest and greatest Buddy. :thumbsup:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Looking forward to it GG! I cant remember if I posted my fluid bed bucket highbanker build here or not but if not I will get some pics up.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astrobouncer said:
Looking forward to it GG! I cant remember if I posted my fluid bed bucket highbanker build here or not but if not I will get some pics up.

I would like to see it! post me a link. :icon_thumleft:
Ive also been working on a bucket fluid bed design, and an oil drain pan fluid bed design, and a paint tray fluid bed design, even a 55 gallon drum cut lengthways fluid bed design, etc. I'm amazed at all the ways that the basic technology can be adapted to successfully trap gold.
Of course gold being 19.3 times heavier than water helps. :tongue3:

Did you see where I posted that I have solved the problem of the buildup of heavies that chokes the system reducing efficiency ?
I know that has been a problem for some folks who want to run all day without emptying the trap.

GG~

grapeng

Jan 10, 2008
GoodyGuy,

You wrote that,
"Did you see where I posted that I have solved the problem of the buildup of heavies that chokes the system reducing efficiency ?
I know that has been a problem for some folks who want to run all day without emptying the trap."

Where can I find that post?

Grapeng

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grapeng said:
GoodyGuy,

You wrote that,
"Did you see where I posted that I have solved the problem of the buildup of heavies that chokes the system reducing efficiency ?
I know that has been a problem for some folks who want to run all day without emptying the trap."

Where can I find that post?

Grapeng

I only posted that I had solved the problem, I did not tell how I had solved it. :tongue3:
Actually the solution is easy but the fabrication can be difficult. The problem can be solved in two different ways........

#1. Is by the addition of a 2" drain at the bottom of the trap that can be opened to release the contents of the trap whenever necessary. (even while in operation)
Or........
#2. Would be to increase the water pressure to the trap once the trap is full of black sand. (due to the density of black sand more water pressure is needed to keep the material in suspension)

#1. Is harder to achieve due to the difficulty in fabrication, however it's advantage is being able to inspect the traps contents at any time without shutting down the sluice or disconnecting the trap.

The bottom of the trap needs to incline down toward the drain from all 4 corners and there can be no ridge into the trap around the drain and the shut off valve for the drain needs to be very close to the bottom of the trap and be connected to a discharge hose enabling you to drain the trap into a container.

Hope this helps,
GG~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG
I BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN EXPLAIN SOMETHING THAT I READ LAST NIGHT BETTER THAN MOST
OF THE FOLKS THAT I FOLLOW HERE ON TN.

I READ THAT IF YOU DOUBLE THE SPEED OF WATER WITHIN A CONFINED SPACE THAT IT
MULTIPLIES THE WATER'S ABILITY TO MOVE TRAPPED PARTICLES BY 64 TIMES. THE WRITER
WAS SPEAKING ABOUT MOVING WATER IN A GOLD PAN. I CAN SORT OF UNDERSTAND HIS POINT
BUT DOES THE PRINCIPLE APPLY TO SLUICES AS WELL?

JUST HOPING THAT YOU MIGHT KNOW A LITTLE BIT MORE THAN HE EXPLAINED.

I'M TRYING TO BUILD A SMALL HAND POWERED DREDGE AND TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF I CAN
INCREASE MY RECOVERY BY REDUCING THE SIZE OF MY INTAKE. I DON'T EXPECT TO FIND
ANY GOLD LARGE ENOUGH TO NEED A LARGE OPENING AND WILL GRIZZLE OFF ANY THING
LARGER THAN 1/4" AT THE HEAD OF THE SLUICE.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
:coffee2: :read2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
GG
I BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN EXPLAIN SOMETHING THAT I READ LAST NIGHT BETTER THAN MOST
OF THE FOLKS THAT I FOLLOW HERE ON TN.

I READ THAT IF YOU DOUBLE THE SPEED OF WATER WITHIN A CONFINED SPACE THAT IT
MULTIPLIES THE WATER'S ABILITY TO MOVE TRAPPED PARTICLES BY 64 TIMES. THE WRITER
WAS SPEAKING ABOUT MOVING WATER IN A GOLD PAN. I CAN SORT OF UNDERSTAND HIS POINT
BUT DOES THE PRINCIPLE APPLY TO SLUICES AS WELL?

JUST HOPING THAT YOU MIGHT KNOW A LITTLE BIT MORE THAN HE EXPLAINED.

I'M TRYING TO BUILD A SMALL HAND POWERED DREDGE AND TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF I CAN
INCREASE MY RECOVERY BY REDUCING THE SIZE OF MY INTAKE. I DON'T EXPECT TO FIND
ANY GOLD LARGE ENOUGH TO NEED A LARGE OPENING AND WILL GRIZZLE OFF ANY THING
LARGER THAN 1/4" AT THE HEAD OF THE SLUICE.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
MIKEL

What size intake are you using now ?

A smaller intake will result in a higher velocity of suction but will also require a greater force to pull the valve up the chamber due to the increased restriction at the intake.

An easy test would be to fill a gallon bucket half full with water and track the time to empty it using the different diameter nozzles, noting the difference in degree of expended energy. See where the trade off works best for you.

Since you are operating the suction by hand, resistance needs to be factored in to achieve maximum material transfer.
In other words, you may actually be able to move more material in a shorter time with a slightly larger intake due to being able to pump faster because of having less resistance coupled with using a larger volume nozzle.

Smaller nozzles even though they have more powerful suction also clog more easily which has an adverse effect on time efficiency.

My advice is to only use the smaller nozzle to access the smaller crevices and use larger nozzles where applicable.

Not sure that I understood your question correctly?
I reread your post and now I think you were asking about the sluice :icon_scratch:

A wider sluice requires faster water flow to operate properly than would a narrower sluice provided all other things are equal such as height and style of riffles etc.

In other words use a narrow sluice in slow water and a wider sluice in fast water.

*NOTE as the water flow is increased past optimum, the more trapped particles are washed down the sluice at an exponential rate including gold :o
Water too fast or angle too steep = lost gold
Water too slow or angle too shallow = material build up and loss of gold.

GG~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG.
AS USUAL, YOU ANSWERED ABOVE AND BEYOND. THANKS.
I AM TRYING TO WORK OUT ALL OF THOSE DETAILS IN CONJUNCTION WITH EACH OTHER.
TRYING TO, FIRST OF ALL, ESTABLISH HOW MUCH VOLUME I CAN MOVE WITHOUT HURTING
MYSELF, THEN ESTABLISH THE WATER VOLUME/VELOCITY TO MOVE DIRT AND GOLD TO THE SURFACE. THEN I NEED TO GET THE CORRECT INTAKE SIZE. EVERYTHING THAT I CHANGE
MAKES DIFFERENCE IN THE OTHER PARTS.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I HOPE TO HAVE THE FIRST TRIALS THIS SPRING. IF IT WORKS I WILL
POST PICS.

HAPPY HUNTING AND GOD BLESS
MIKEL

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold.jpeg

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.G. IF THAT IS THE TEST RESULTS FOR YOUR FLUID BED GOLD TRAP, SIGN ME UP FOR ONE!
:blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
OH YEAH,...... AND A MAP TO THE TEST SITE. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
MIKEL

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
G.G. IF THAT IS THE TEST RESULTS FOR YOUR FLUID BED GOLD TRAP, SIGN ME UP FOR ONE!
:blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
OH YEAH,...... AND A MAP TO THE TEST SITE. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
MIKEL

Actually that is the photo I use for my desktop background and screensaver.
Thought you guy's would appreciate looking at all that gold. :icon_thumleft:

grapeng

Jan 10, 2008
GoodyGuy,
The dimensions for the pipe are O.D. (5/8") and I.D. (1/2"). Is this pipe schedule 40 PVC 1/2" nominal? I couldn't find any pipe to match those dimensions. Maybe you could tell us where you got the pipe. Thanks.

Grapeng

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grapeng said:
GoodyGuy,
The dimensions for the pipe are O.D. (5/8") and I.D. (1/2"). Is this pipe schedule 40 PVC 1/2" nominal? I couldn't find any pipe to match those dimensions. Maybe you could tell us where you got the pipe. Thanks.

Grapeng

It's CPVC - 4120 1/2" The outside dimension of 5/8" is important in order to use standard 5/8" ID hose to connect. The ID is actually slightly less than 1/2".
Also a 5/8" drill bit makes for a nice tight fit through the trap. (my new design will require only 1 hole to be drilled instead of 6)

The CPVC 1/2" can be purchased at any Home Depot in the plumbing department.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.G., I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THAT FOR A BACKGROUND, BUT IT COMES IN SECOND PLACE.

GRANDCHILDREN COME IN FIRST, BY A COUNTRY MILE! :blob7:

I SPENT LAST NOVEMBER AND HALF OF DECEMBER TRYING TO TEACH MY (18 MONTH OLD) ONLY GRANDSON
HOW TO PAN FOR GOLD.... I SHOULD HAVE GOT A PIC OF THAT FOR MY BACKGROUND. :BangHead:
I JUST DIDN'T THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE THEY WENT BACK TO N. DAKOTA. :sad9:
MIKEL

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
G.G., I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THAT FOR A BACKGROUND, BUT IT COMES IN SECOND PLACE.

GRANDCHILDREN COME IN FIRST, BY A COUNTRY MILE! :blob7:

I SPENT LAST NOVEMBER AND HALF OF DECEMBER TRYING TO TEACH MY (18 MONTH OLD) ONLY GRANDSON
HOW TO PAN FOR GOLD.... I SHOULD HAVE GOT A PIC OF THAT FOR MY BACKGROUND. :BangHead:
I JUST DIDN'T THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE THEY WENT BACK TO N. DAKOTA. :sad9:
MIKEL

That is on my laptop, my desktop computer has a photo of my wife panning gold :icon_thumleft:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE IT RIGHT.... GET THE WIFE INFECTED WITH GOLD FEVER!
IF I COULD GET MY WIFE TO PAN JUST ONCE, I WOULD TAKE A PIC TO PUT ON MY COMPUTER.
SHE SEEMS TO HAVE SOME KIND OF WALL UP AND CAN'T UNDERSTAND :BangHead: :-*
I CAN'T BREAK THRU TO GIVE HER THE FEVER. :dontknow:

OH WELL.
MIKEL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread