OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
I BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE IT RIGHT.... GET THE WIFE INFECTED WITH GOLD FEVER!
IF I COULD GET MY WIFE TO PAN JUST ONCE, I WOULD TAKE A PIC TO PUT ON MY COMPUTER.
SHE SEEMS TO HAVE SOME KIND OF WALL UP AND CAN'T UNDERSTAND :BangHead: :-*
I CAN'T BREAK THRU TO GIVE HER THE FEVER. :dontknow:

OH WELL.
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

I consider myself very blessed to have such a loving wife that there is no way in the world that I deserve.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a simple inexpensive way that I designed to make a fluid bed gold trap to just slip under the riffle tray to hold it in place at the end of your 10" wide sluice.

It's made from a piece of 4" dia pvc with a cap on each end and a 3/4" pvc pipe with three rows of 1/8" holes on each side of the pipe staggered and drilled 1/2" apart mounted 1/2" off the bottom of the main chamber.

The grizzly is a paint roller grid with a piece of sheet aluminum pop riveted to the end that goes under the riffle tray. There is also a baffle that extends 3/4" below the height of the discharge port mounted to the bottom left hand side of the grizzly to insure that no floating gold gets away.

I call it the "Add a Trap"
Easily fits into a 5 gal bucket to clean out the gold.

The faster you run your material through any sluice the more fine and flour gold you will loose without using something like this.
Finer mesh screen can also be added over the grizzly if desired.

addatrap1.jpg

addatrap2.jpg

addatrap3.jpg addatrap5.jpg

addatrap4.jpg
The 1" overflow port for discharge of the lighter material is cut to be 1/2" lower than the grizzly

Improved version using 3/16" punch plate.....
gti1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
No kidding. If's its there GG will capture it. :thumbsup:

Unlike the commercial operations in the Klondike that recover an amount of gold that the owners are happy with even with the knowledge that they are loosing over a million dollars worth of gold off the end of their sluice a season, we here in Indiana are not blessed with multi ounce clean up's so we need to recover every single speck :icon_thumleft:

Wonder how much gold my commercial version would have captured off the end of Fred's sluice in Porcupine Creek and the Hoffman's in the Klondike? :o

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT "G.G." STOOD FOR GOODYGUY.
NOW I KNOW THAT IT STANDS FOR "GREAT GADGETS"

I REALLY LIKE THIS ONE, AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD WORK USING A TURBO FUNNEL
IN THE CREEK!
:coffee2: :read2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
Great job buddy or is that buddy( MacGyver ) goodguy
I think you experiencing the Benjamin button syndrome and growing more brain cells as you age.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Mike, We are going to have to be careful here, or Buddy's Ole Head is a gonna Swell Up. :tongue3: :laughing7:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT.... :laughing7:

I THINK I'M JUST A LITTLE FRUSTRATED WITH MY OWN PROJECTS :BangHead:
I GET A LITTLE TOO HAPPY WHEN I SEE OTHERS SUCCEED! :blob7:

..... BUT I REALLY DO LIKE THAT ONE.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guy's I appreciate the positive comments :icon_thumleft:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is one of the most patentworthy ideas I've seen in a long time. I hope it pays off for you as it could easily be added to a great many machines being sold. The simplicity of the 4" pipe unit is beautiful.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
It really is one of the most patentworthy ideas I've seen in a long time. I hope it pays off for you as it could easily be added to a great many machines being sold. The simplicity of the 4" pipe unit is beautiful.

Thanks calisdad,

But that is just a toy compared to the commercial stainless steel version I designed with all the bells and whistles, and I'm anxious to see what the manufacturer of industrial washplants has to say after my demo next month. I was supposed to demo it this month but the appointment was postponed due to a scheduling conflict.

I believe it has the potential to be considered a "must have" piece of recovery equipment by anyone serious about not loosing the flour and fine gold that gets washed off the end of the sluice. Especially when the water flow rate gets up over 100, 200, and even 300+ GPM. If nothing else it can aid in the fine tuning of the plant by monitoring the amount of gold it traps.

GG~

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
GG i wish you all the success in the world with your demo!!!!becarefull not to let them steal your idea! it has been many times over to the inventors!for a self patent. take pictures and do a write up of this device and keep a copy and mail one back to you and dont open it. this is a cheap way to patent it! any patent can be defeated by changing something to make it slightly different. look what happened to the DFS sluice by Phil Hontz in New Mexico!

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RUSSAU,
THAT "LETTER TO ONE'S SELF" IS ACCEPTABLE IN COURT AS LONG AS IT GETS OPENED
IN COURT.
I HAVE A FEW IN MY SAFE THAT AREN'T GOING ANY WHERE, AND ONE THAT I NEED TO SEND
BUT HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY PICS YET FOR A TRAILER LIGHT REPAIR KIT.

I GOTTA GET BUSY ON SOME OF MY HOME PROJECTS THIS WINTER.

I BELIEVE THAT GG'S LATEST WORK IS HIS BEST, OR AT LEAST IT IS THE BEST THAT
I HAVE SEEN SO FAR. I HOPE IT PANS OUT "BIG TIME" FOR HIM.

GOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.
:coffee2: :icon_sunny: :coffee2:
MIKEL

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great thread, I just found it and am really enjoying the creativity here. GG you have made some great stuff here.
Also found this while surfing and looking for fluid bed recovery.
http://www.casluicebox.com/FLUID-BED-GOLD-TRAP.html
Some of the stuff they offer I wouldn't give'm two cents for, but the gold trap I thought had potential.

Also found this interesting video......
[video=vimeo;34977104]http://vimeo.com/34977104[/video]

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
handy little device! i can see that where you have lots of heavy blacksand concentrates youll need to do frequent cleanups or itll load up. the Arkansa River material is what im refering to. but this is a neat demo/video!

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnedoe said:
What a great thread, I just found it and am really enjoying the creativity here. GG you have made some great stuff here.
Also found this while surfing and looking for fluid bed recovery.
http://www.casluicebox.com/FLUID-BED-GOLD-TRAP.html
Some of the stuff they offer I wouldn't give'm two cents for, but the gold trap I thought had potential.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to T-net!
Everyone could use a trap like that at the end of their sluice!

I like the basic design.
The drain would really come in handy to periodically relieve the black sand and gold concentration and make clean up much easier:icon_thumleft:

However, $159 + $10 shipping seems a little steep to me and I wonder about the molded plastic's long term durability. :dontknow:
I see you can buy the plastic tub for $59.95 + $5 shipping. That's what I would recommend because the plumbing including a ball valve would be less than $15 at Home Depot. I would add a punch plate grizzly with baffle and create a discharge vent if I bought one.

GG~

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with ya on the price and modifications........ and it was the unfinished one that I was looking at. even at 59 bucks I think it is a little steep ........ I was looking at some of the Plastmo plastic rain gutter components particularly the downspout section and thought it could be used and for a lot less than 59.95......... http://screencast.com/t/f1V2nMJ8U2d
Not sure how to post images here but there's the link to what I wanted to show you.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
russau said:
handy little device! i can see that where you have lots of heavy blacksand concentrates youll need to do frequent cleanups or itll load up. the Arkansa River material is what im refering to. but this is a neat demo/video!

Yeah I liked the video because you could actually see what was going on in these things..... gave me ALL kinds of ideas....LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread