9.4 KB · Views: 2,951

latnem

Greenie
Nov 18, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have only seen them run in videos. Seems to work well, perhaps the sluice is a bit short that's all I could say.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
latnem said:
I have only seen them run in videos. Seems to work well, perhaps the sluice is a bit short that's all I could say.
Yes i seen them in videos also but that is the only place..... I guess not to many have seen them here......

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
It looks well designed and fabricated but overpriced considering its likely cost of manufacture. The design is basically the old fashioned rocker box without the rocker. I built a similar item from a Keene backpack size aluminum sluice. I added a funnel-like hopper with a screen over the flare of the sluice, removed the riffle tray and replaced it with 1/4" perforated over raised expanded over miner's moss over V rib matting. My total cost including the original $40.00 for the sluice: About $65.00. I run at a much steeper angle than a dredge or stream sluice, about 3" per foot. Really nice for catching fine gold.

Edson

Nov 20, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are a cross between a sluice box and a rocket box and are called dip boxes cause you dip a cup or small bucket in water and pour the water in to wash the material. I too made my own and it works great. It will catch gold so fine you almost need a microscope to see it. My dip box is 48" long and 6" wide. I can use it anywhere cause it doesn't need running water. They work a lot better if you screen down to 1/8" and dump the cons often so it doesn't load up, easy to do since you just tip it in a bucket and splash some water on it and it's ready to go again. At the end of the day I take it apart and do a final clean out and get all the trapped gold underneath.
Here is a picture of it, it folds in half for easy packing.

Here is how fine the gold is that it gets.

Enjoy.
Edson

Attachments

• sluice.jpg
    sluice.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,361
  • golddec1.JPG
    golddec1.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 4,181
  • sluice.jpg
    sluice.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 942
OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well from what i hear from you prospectors that it would be a good item to have...........I like the idea that you do not have to put it in a stream or hook a hose up to it...... Just pour the water in with a bucket...

Edson

Nov 20, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Well from what i hear from you prospectors that it would be a good item to have...........I like the idea that you do not have to put it in a stream or hook a hose up to it...... Just pour the water in with a bucket...
Yes, but the cost is high for something so simple and easy to make yourself. That's half the fun is making it, and watching it work better than the store bought ones.
Have fun and be safe out there.
Edson

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
As the Eco-Terrorists succeed in getting powered equipment banned in more areas in their attempt to drive us back to the Stone Age, hand powered equipment such as this will be more and more important to the prospector and small miner. One advantage we have over the prospectors and miners of old is the modern materials applied to old designs. With "miners moss", expanded metal, ribbed carpeting, and "vortex" and V-rib matting, the old hand powered designs are out there getting the finer gold that the old timers could never hope to retain.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
placertogo said:
As the Eco-Terrorists succeed in getting powered equipment banned in more areas in their attempt to drive us back to the Stone Age, hand powered equipment such as this will be more and more important to the prospector and small miner. One advantage we have over the prospectors and miners of old is the modern materials applied to old designs. With "miners moss", expanded metal, ribbed carpeting, and "vortex" and V-rib matting, the old hand powered designs are out there getting the finer gold that the old timers could never hope to retain.
Yes that could be the reason for the Grizzly 111

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got one, so I'll let you all know how it works. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
nuggetshooter323 said:
I just got one, so I'll let you all know how it works. :icon_thumleft:
I will look for your report on it......It sure looks like a good idea......

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Hi Keppy,

I was curious if you were planning to use this in Ohio?
Have you been to any of the GPAA claims?
I tried once in Conneaut Creek years ago, but all I found was some shavings off the end of my (cheap)shovel :(
I have one of the Angus MacKirk sluices that I have yet to try out sometime this spring.

-Scott

toddles1

Jan 22, 2012
prunetucky california
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey keppy,
I'm a sheetmetal worker IE tin bender, I just so happen to make a sluice/high banker box very very similar to the Grizz
III I'm going out this weekend to take it on its maiden voyage I'll let you know how it does. I like the design of the grizzly, cuz its light weight, mine weighs 15 lbs and the short length makes for easy packing. and the pre set washing angle makes for easy setup. I too like building my own equipment, but not everyone wants to take that route .Buying
from a company, you would hope they have taken care of any glitchs the product may had in testing. good luck good hunting.
Toddles

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So any new reports in the grizzly. me an the wife are buying 1. if you have any new information or better ways to run it then I'm all ears. The guy was saying to set up a gravity syphon. so you just need a hose that goes further up the stream and syphon it down 2 you and just use it like a hose.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boy very pricey for what they are just my 2 cents worth I suppose if you had no or very little water flow this would be ideal but i'll very curious to see how you folks like it?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rather snipe and pan. Its funny in the video they show it with a creek that has ample flow for pretty much any sluice. It is over priced and pretty high maintenance just to pretty much classify. Rocker boxes and dip boxes are not the best at fine recovery. The side to side and water surges actually move fine gold. The suspension and fluidization that exists in stream sluices does not exist in theses types of devices because of the lack of laminar flow. Fine gold doesn't get the proper chance to settle out.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's for certain areas like I'm dealing with. there's areas where my bazooka is going to be straight used to tear it up. but these other areas where I'm dealing with over zealous rangers and not 1 of them can tell me what the rules are and none of them have the same answers. some say it's ok others say no period others say no River sluicing or Machanical crap. so that's why I'm getting this guy. the owner lives here in utah and he's played in the same neck of the woods as I do. and he's never had problems with them

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I saw the ranger confusion in your other post. I would wrangle in the best answer print it and keep it with you. Listening to a ranger or desk jockey is a sure fire way to act on the wron info. I would hit up Clay Diggins and see if he van get you links you can't find.

FUNNY THE MORE I READ LATELY THE MORE SEVERAL OTHER STATES SOUND WAY WORSE THAN CALIFORNIA (all caps accident but I'll leave it:laughing7:)

Not knocking your choice by the way I hope it helps you guys in your situation.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet thanks. I've got a hole bible of the laws from the blm, FS USDA forest service mining codes and laws including the fish pamphlet and the laws and refs from the water rights division both state and federal. it goes with me just in case. I even printed the one page from the Georgia forest service so I can show the rangers that it has nothing to do with Utah. this is how I educated the last ranger and he got pissed and sent me to the water rights division. they said pretty much what I already new but still. he has the authority to take my **** and fine me even if it won't hold up in court it'll still mean a month or 2 before I can get my equipment back and all In all its just easier to play by there rules. I know what rangers are where so I play by there rules when I'm in there area. Sad that it comes down to that. that they can make crap up based on what they think instead of actual laws. I've contacted the head office in utah and tried to get things straightened out so that it isn't this way but I haven't got an answer. an I really don't want to push it just cause like the 1 post. A story worth repeating. I don't wanna cause them to come up with something that straight says we cant

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yea I saw the ranger confusion in your other post. I would wrangle in the best answer print it and keep it with you. Listening to a ranger or desk jockey is a sure fire way to act on the wron info. I would hit up Clay Diggins and see if he van get you links you can't find.

FUNNY THE MORE I READ LATELY THE MORE SEVERAL OTHER STATES SOUND WAY WORSE THAN CALIFORNIA (all caps accident but I'll leave it:laughing7:)

Not knocking your choice by the way I hope it helps you guys in your situation.

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe some of what we put up with isn't so bad! I also joined a Canadian forum and some of their rules make ours look like nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread