Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello I'm new to the site but not to the hobby of prospecting but still need some advice on my sluice box I'm running one that is 8 inches wide by 2 foot long and have miners moss already but my concern here is the fact that I live in Indiana and we have really,really fine flour gold here so that's what I have to plan for finding and I've found just that.
I don't intend to run my sluice until I get some advice on this situation its occurred to me that it might be wise to use some of the rubber matting people use at the flare of their sluice boxes and wander if it would be a good idea to run some of this all the way down my sluice including under the miners moss?
The next question would be do I use low profile or deep V grooved matting?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucketfreak68 said:
Hello I'm new to the site but not to the hobby of prospecting but still need some advice on my sluice box I'm running one that is 8 inches wide by 2 foot long and have miners moss already but my concern here is the fact that I live in Indiana and we have really,really fine flour gold here so that's what I have to plan for finding and I've found just that.
I don't intend to run my sluice until I get some advice on this situation its occurred to me that it might be wise to use some of the rubber matting people use at the flare of their sluice boxes and wander if it would be a good idea to run some of this all the way down my sluice including under the miners moss?
The next question would be do I use low profile or deep V grooved matting?

Welcome To T-net Bucketfreak68.

I also prospect in Indiana :icon_thumleft:
Definitely use the deep mat under your miners moss full length of sluice as long as your miners moss is not backed of course.

If you choose to go without the miners moss be sure to classify all your material down to 1/4" or less, (really should do that anyway) and don't run it with way too fast a water flow. (don't want to wash the flour gold away) Also don't over feed your little sluice, let it clear between scoops.

In Indiana the riffles need not be over 3/8" tall on a hand sluice. Ideally the riffles should not be spaced more than 2" apart. Most manufacturers space the riffles too far apart in order to save costs. Best to build your own riffle tray or add a riffle in between the factory ones as long as that doesn't make them too close together. One simple formula is: space the riffles twice as far apart as their height to create the proper vortex between them.

GG~

OP
OP
Bucketfreak68

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone thanks for the replies so far it much appreciated so deep V it is I've found a good deal on some and should be here within a week its still cold here but if this summer is like the last couple I'm going to have a short window of time in which to make use of the water flow in the streams around me.
At any rate thanks for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread