Ordered a Bazooka gold trap sluice

replicaprops

Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone else ever used this model? any tips or tricks?

I really don't know how the Bazooka gold trap will work, but I thought the idea was clever. I am into reef aquariums, and the fluidized bed principle the bazooka uses is well known to me from equipment I use on my reef aquarium.
I should have the sluice next week, so after I take it out with me to the river, ill take some video and report back on the performance. I ordered the mid sized prospector model.

Hoshnasi

May 2, 2011
Cerritos, Ca.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
replicaprops said:
Anyone else ever used this model? any tips or tricks?

I really don't know how the Bazooka gold trap will work, but I thought the idea was clever. I am into reef aquariums, and the fluidized bed principle the bazooka uses is well known to me from equipment I use on my reef aquarium.
I should have the sluice next week, so after I take it out with me to the river, ill take some video and report back on the performance. I ordered the mid sized prospector model.

I look forward to the videos. I like the idea of the sluice, but the price has kept it out of my reach.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
We have discussed it before a lot, it works great for loose gravels. For clay you want to make sure you get that stuff broken up otherwise it could clump together and float out taking the gold in the clay with it.

You dont have to order them if you cant afford one, you can make one for under 20 bucks. I and others have posted threads how to on this very forum.

OP
OP
R

replicaprops

Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DIY is great for learning, and in many cases saving money, but experience has shown that there is a good chance you will spend more on trying to reinvent what was already a working design.

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in seeing that gold trap section at the gold trap end, when you post some pics try and take some that show how its made or what that trap part looks like, to help understand what or how it works.

OP
OP
R

replicaprops

Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here you go
6787915144_600190692c_b.jpg

6934027569_aa86e19c2b_b.jpg

6934027277_39b0f21e75_b.jpg

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Thanks.... I saw a youtube of a test model a fellow made outa plexiglass. He wanted to test it and figured he could make a model and test it out before spending 200. It worked, the real deal is a good Deal I think. It keeps a liquidifed bed of sand in the trap that the fine gold will sink right thru it. Think I will be ordereing me one!!! look for " looking for gold bazooka gold trap sluice" part 1 . for that video he has a black shirt on

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes they look like they would work great..... Did you get the Mini or Prospector or the Miner ?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
replicaprops said:
I got the prospector.
Yes i also thought that one would be the best size............ Let us know how you like it ............

OP
OP
R

replicaprops

Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm planning on taking it to the river this week some time. Ill check back here after I pan out the cons.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold trap appears to work when "shovel fed" gravel, sand, etc., but I would have to agree with Astro... clumps of clay may defeat the design. I built one with a more highly defined classifier to eliminate large stones and flotsam over 0.185", and I found that my 4" dredge with a ton of water flowing separately into the trap was still overwhelmed and could not eject enough material. But, since one design does not meet the requirements of all, don't be discouraged. It may have worked fine on a 2" dredge, but on the super sucker I have... it couldn't.

Best regards

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
That equipment is a gonna look a lot better, when you get it dirty. ::) :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

replicaprops

Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is all getting dirty tomorrow. We are all going out to the Llano river to really mess it up.

OP
OP
R

replicaprops

Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, my kids are all excited. I had them practicing on lead shavings in the back yard with regular dirt. I put 4 tiny lead shavings in the dirt and each of them panned it down and found all 4 shavings. The kids are now confident that they know what to do and they are only 9 and 11. My 20 year old daughter is coming with us, and she is sort of excited, but she hates being out in the sun, I think she might be a vampire.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Nice equipment, good luck tomorrow. If you notice the trap holding too much bigger gravel, you can run a 4 mesh hardware cloth zip tied over the stock grizzly to cut down on that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread