Question about prospecting in areas that were once known for gold now developed

enckevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Question about prospecting in areas that were once known for gold I.E. Greenville county SC that has been overrun with development. My thought is when they level hole tops of hills and build airports and shopping centers couldn’t they have disturbed new placer deposits doing this? Is it feasible to pan the runoffs of these places they have created many new creeks by doing this development or just stick to olden creeks and rivers? Was even thinking of checking culverts as a natural sluice.

mus302

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2012
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting theory. Sounds plausible to me. I guess the only way to prove one way or the other is to do as you suggest and test pan a few of these runoff ditches. Let us know how it turns out.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Its possible, but the influx of new people moving to once wilderness areas has created a lot of private property too. People around where I live already will shoot if they don't know who you are, so be careful! And never go past any posted signs.

OP
OP
E

enckevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
astro i see blue ridge sc im close to you in greer. There anything good around here like i think there may be. Also iv looked at alot of your posts and was about to by a sluice till looking at yours.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Astro has a very good point and its one of the major stumbelling blocks in getting access. then if someone posts this location, itll be flooded with treaspassers real soon and blocking out any possible chance for access again! ive seen i happen many times.

OP
OP
E

enckevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with both your responses access is going to be the problem everywhere with all the development in areas that were once gold bearing. I myself will always ask property owner’s permission and keep exact sites to myself so not to flood them with people. Respect for property is the first thing one should have in mind. I’ll keep you all informed on what I find and love the fact that this site is a wealth of knowledge and hope to contribute some once I gain experience.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
enckevin -
I own a 106 acre farm that has two streams, 45 acres of timber and is posted to keep the property SAFE. As long as people ask and use the magic words like, "may I"... I usually have no problem with them hunting or fishing as long as they never litter or drink on the land. People that I've asked for access to a stream or such, usually will grant permission. Three in ten say no, but seven say yes.

Rule of thumb... Never ask forgiveness, when you can easily have asked for permission!

OP
OP
E

enckevin

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok guys I got the property permission aspect down pat. I would like to get input on the checking of newly formed creeks in developed areas like when they build for instance right down the hill from me they have built entire strip malls and lowes while doing this the moved a lot of earth and created new water flows say 15 years old now is it possible that they may have uncovered new deposits and we may be able to find color in places like this. I think awhile back I read a post on another site of a guy finding color in culvert’s under the highway in his area. Anyone else think it sounds possible.

Edson

Nov 20, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is only one way to find out. Go and take a few samples. I have found good color on many road cuts so yes it is possible. Remember "gold is where you find it".
Let us know how it pans out.
Edson

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread