Did 2 hours of sluicing today

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stan came down the mountain and talked me into hitting up the Pepermint Creek along Pennsylvania Gulch Rd. It's only a ditch run-off in the spring. Dry most of the year this far up the mountain (above Murphys, CA). Using a Keene A52, we set up a dam of rocks on the bedrock. We used a sheet of trash bag to direct as much water into the head of the shoot as we could. Not perfect, but enough. Using shovels, we worked up as much gravel we could in the SKINNY section of creek as we could. Took the cons back to his house and panned it down. Found 6 small pieces of flour gold. Not much but we never got close to the bedrock stuff right there. Will try the run-off that washes past the Collierville power house next. There are 4 hardrock mine holes just above it. Tnx. TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little gold is always better than no gold and like you said you were not that near bedrock. I plan on being out in the mountains for 4 days at the end of May and I AM looking forward to it! Have fun, stay comfortable and keep at it............63bkpkr

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx for the reply 63. Always nice to hear from you. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great way to spend a couple of hours TC :icon_thumright:

I just spent two days prospecting, and came home empty handed and tired. Had a great time exploring and rock hounding a mountain of glacial till in southern Indiana from the Illinoisan though.

GG~

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GG. I've been there... done that..... more than a few times. But you and I will roll with the punches. Tnx. TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG. I've been there... done that..... more than a few times. But you and I will roll with the punches. Tnx. TTC

You got that right pardner. :icon_thumright:
Not the first time Ive come home empty handed and it wont be the last either.

But the strikes more than make up for the skunks.

GG~

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got that right pardner. :icon_thumright:
Not the first time Ive come home empty handed and it wont be the last either.

But the strikes more than make up for the skunks.

GG~
Yes sir, friend! I checked out the gold under a mineral scope. Very rough, indicating the source was close. No flattened or slicked surfaces. The gold here is also more "orangy". These pieces were also more roundish and rolled around the pan alot, almost fooling us to think NOT. Tnx. TTC

Eureka

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Greensboro NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny how things get drilled into ones head. 2 times today now I seen info on size and shape of gold to help determand where it may be comming from close or far and all. I'm finding lots of mixed size and shape even perfectly round like a BB so I'm guessing I'm pretty close to one source of the gold I'm finding. To help out on my outtings so as to zero in on gold I use Google earth and a overlay form mineral resorce. Do you use that as well to help minumize trips that come up empty handed ? i've only been into everything for about 1.5 years now but have yet to go out and not find a fair amount of gold. Average about 120 flakes to a 5 gallon bucket. NC is great for flakes and they shure do add up fast. I have yet to find any over 20+ mesh but I know I will soon. 1/2 of my time has been research and 1/4 just panning from gold mine dirt. I think I have only hit about 8 streams and dug in about 20 areas on each. I Don't want to forget the 4 months at home setting in dinning room when I first got the fever panning out Pyrite only to find out it wasn't gold come spring when I went to my first mine to pan. LOL It may have been a let down but i know Pyrite like the back of my hand now.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the response, Eureka. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on where to find your color. Good job! I have been panning since '82, but on a VERY limited basis. I have been hitting CA and now AZ really HARD for the last 5+ years. Been doing pretty good but my back limits the amount of daily activity. I use GE for research also. I will soon buy some FOOTPRINTS from Calvin Bunker to help me in my search. I am not one of the REAL heavy duty diggers on this net. Tom_in_CA, 63, Terry Soloman, KlondikeIke, and others, are the heavy hitters around here. Read their posts and learn... as I have! TTC

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how things get drilled into ones head. 2 times today now I seen info on size and shape of gold to help determand where it may be comming from close or far and all. I'm finding lots of mixed size and shape even perfectly round like a BB so I'm guessing I'm pretty close to one source of the gold I'm finding. To help out on my outtings so as to zero in on gold I use Google earth and a overlay form mineral resorce. Do you use that as well to help minumize trips that come up empty handed ? i've only been into everything for about 1.5 years now but have yet to go out and not find a fair amount of gold. Average about 120 flakes to a 5 gallon bucket. NC is great for flakes and they shure do add up fast. I have yet to find any over 20+ mesh but I know I will soon. 1/2 of my time has been research and 1/4 just panning from gold mine dirt. I think I have only hit about 8 streams and dug in about 20 areas on each. I Don't want to forget the 4 months at home setting in dinning room when I first got the fever panning out Pyrite only to find out it wasn't gold come spring when I went to my first mine to pan. LOL It may have been a let down but i know Pyrite like the back of my hand now.

You are in a good area. I've always done well in NC but then I always go to known gold bearing areas there. I've been skunked a time or two in Georgia though but have also hit exceptional pay streaks there as well. In Indiana it's a little harder to guarantee success when you are doing exploratory prospecting in search of new territory where gold is not known to be found. There is no lode gold in Indiana and it's hit and miss finding where the glacial gold may have concentrated into any sizable pay streak or pocket.

GG~

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry you have just publically described a good way to get a $25,000 ticket for plastic dam building and diverting water from it's coarse. Err on the side a caution now in kalif as the tickets fly and lives are ruined--I got NO PROBLEM but with a site fulla newbyes not so much---tons a au 2 u 2 -John--PS-seen some righteous monster nuggets from Murphy areas too!!!!

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
GG, Two day and no shine. :icon_scratch: You still get points for trying and one just never knows when or where they will find that payoff pocket.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry you have just publically described a good way to get a $25,000 ticket for plastic dam building and diverting water from it's coarse. Err on the side a caution now in kalif as the tickets fly and lives are ruined--I got NO PROBLEM but with a site fulla newbyes not so much---tons a au 2 u 2 -John--PS-seen some righteous monster nuggets from Murphy areas too!!!!
Point well made John! I'm not up on the plastic diversion. Here's what we did. Tell me if it applies in our case: Local rock to funnel water (still in its watercourse) to reduce side spillage. Sheet plastic to FUNNEL water into tighter flow STILL IN watercourse. The plastic was temporary and removed with the equipment at the end of the two hours. Incidently, this far up the mountain the creek is only a waterditch next to the county highway. Not classified as a creek here. Please tell me I can come out from under my bed, friend. Tnx. TTC (Edit: Tnx for your response, Graycloud)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hoser_John. Reference your above post, can you help me find the specific Ca codes that restricts the flow of water? I am trying to find it but the LARGE AMOUNT of legal mumbo-jumbo is a SPAGETTI MESS!!! Please help me out with the exact wordage.(I need your help!) TTC

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterboards thread here multiple times and just trying to keep you and others outta trouble as I agree with your methodology but ifn' a tree falls n' the forest and no one around to see---did it really fall ???tons a au 2 u 2 -John PS stand tall and NEVER under the bed bud

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stan came down the mountain and talked me into hitting up the Pepermint Creek along Pennsylvania Gulch Rd. It's only a ditch run-off in the spring. Dry most of the year this far up the mountain (above Murphys, CA). Using a Keene A52, we set up a dam of rocks on the bedrock. We used a sheet of trash bag to direct as much water into the head of the shoot as we could. Not perfect, but enough. Using shovels, we worked up as much gravel we could in the SKINNY section of creek as we could. Took the cons back to his house and panned it down. Found 6 small pieces of flour gold. Not much but we never got close to the bedrock stuff right there. Will try the run-off that washes past the Collierville power house next. There are 4 hardrock mine holes just above it. Tnx. TTC

Six small pieces is six small pieces TC . Beats five small pieces . :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx for the responses Eureka, Russau, and, of course, Takota.... an ounce is an ounce is an ounce... no matter how large or small the pieces! Collecting flour gold is like throwing your change into a jar.... you don't realize how much is there till you count (weigh) it. TTC

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Terry, glad you got to go out and better luck next time. You aint the only one who had bad luck lately I am gonna post about my bad luck this week in another post!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, glad you got to go out and better luck next time. You aint the only one who had bad luck lately I am gonna post about my bad luck this week in another post!
Hey Astro, good to hear from you! Bad luck? No sir! ANY color is good luck! Still being able to get around outdoors is a plus, in my books! Tnx, my friend. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions