Angus classifier

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The nice thing about this is most of the rocks get pushed up the grate, leaving them easy to pick out without having to stick your hand in the sluice.

victorysgold

Feb 24, 2008
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 3.2, Garrett Propointer II,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perhaps this type of setup would work better, tailings dump to the side so they wont block water flow.

eb5.gif

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought we were only allowed to use baling wire and two broke VCRs for this project? That looks fancy...

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm not seeing how the larger (than screen size) rocks are getting washed in either of these designs.

Great idea :icon_thumleft:
But won't the tailings pile up at the bottom end of the grizzly and choke off the water flow? :icon_scratch:

My guess is that you would constantly have to clear the tailings to prevent that.
Rock pile in the front, rock pile in the back. Either way, you're going to have to clear rocks at some point, no? Even the side drop has to be cleared or the rocks will pile back up onto the screen.

Last edited:

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the point of having to move the rocks after processed, the point is the elimination of a step, screening the dirt and rocks into a bucket first. Screening dirt first then running it takes to much time. The more dirt u run the better off u are. Moving rocks after every 3 or 4 shovels is way easier and faster than screening material into a bucket first. But to address ur other point, the washing of the bigger rocks that may have gold stuck to them is another problem of its own...LOL... that why I use my hi banker.
It's not the gold I loose sleep over... it's trying to figure out the answers to all of these dang problems.... :BangHead::BangHead: :BangHead:
God Bless
OKIE

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, what about a classifier that ran the length of the sluice? Drop your load in the front, the fines fall through while the water is washing the larger rocks and dissolving clods. Sweep any larger rocks off that didn't wash down, out the back.

I keep thinking about that video comparing 2 sluices. The bazooka lets you dump the material in the front, and washes the larger rocks down and over the fines (which end up in the fluid bed).

What if you put a larger intake where you dump the load. The OP's screen acts like the screen on the bazooka then,only you'd have to clear the rocks off the front.

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took some spare parts i had laying around and made a stand and a classifier and attached it to my Keene A-52 sluice box today. I will be testing it tomorrow and shooting a demo video of it in action.
Thanks
God Bless
OKIE

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jcaz: I believe they call that a two stage sluice, uses expanded metal 3/4 of the way down the sluice box, only the last two riffles run the un-classified material.

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm.... I dont have one yet...lol.... i have never done any videos, and have NO idea how to post any either. BTW the river is up from the rains here so I didn't get to test the system out yet. I hope I can get out tomorrow, but I will post some pic's of it anyway.

God Bless

OKIE

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few pic's of what i done.
DSCN2188.JPG

This is the side view of the dredge punch plate I used with my own mods to the plate also. I made steps into the plate to help with slowing the material down and not just sliding down to the bottom lip of the plate. I also did this in my Hi Banker punch plate under the header box.
DSCN2190.JPG DSCN2191.JPG
Here you can see the bottom lip that stops the material from running down into the water flow and keeps all of the unwanted material out of my box. All I have to do is use my hand and slide all of the big stuff off to either side.

DSCN2192.JPG DSCN2192.JPG

Oops my bad I double clicked the file.
As you can see here looking down the box the water flow is uninterrupted with this set up.

DSCN2193.JPG DSCN2194.JPG

Here is the attachment points. All i done here is bent my flair corners down and put 1 screw in each side.

victorysgold

Feb 24, 2008
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 3.2, Garrett Propointer II,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice job Ray! I wonder if something similar could be put on my angus sluice box? I like the simplicity of it.

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL... I'm all about simple :laughing7:... I kept it the width it was so when shoveling onto it I don't have to worry about it spilling over into my box. I'm sure we can figure something out on yours. Can u post a pic of ur box?
Thanks

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see mesh paper trays at the thriftstore all the time. I've been using them to manually sift sand/gravel but I suppose you could rig up some sort of hinge to flip the tray to dump the larger stuff.

mesh-paper-tray.jpg

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you guys are JUST like me... when you see something the first thought is " HOW CAN I USE THIS FOR PROSPECTING" ....lol...everything I look at is that way, we will use ANYTHING we can get our hands on. I have looked at those paper holders and was going to cut them up to use in my gutter clean up sluice, just haven't done it yet but I will. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread