May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true, but that's the only piece of plate I had and it's way to short for that. I don't have any tools or shop here in NC, my tools and shop are in Oklahoma and that SUCKS. That plate is 5/16 holes. I think we ALL have stolen the house spaghetti strainer, that's what i use the most.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this is a old thread but here is mine for my A52....It's almost done! IMAG0189.jpg

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the same type thing on youtube some where... let us know how it works out. I haven't had a chance to run the sluice box i added the screen to yet but i will post video here when i get it in the water.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The idea came from the underflow sluice, wish I could take credit... I'm going out tomorrrow and will take some video.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Omnicron,
I like the concept but I'd be concerned with losing most of the water flow out the oversize discharge.
How high above the sluice is the punch plate?
I repeat, I like this concept and look forward to your test results.

Bob

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
UB, it's about 1 1/4" above the bottom. My hope is that I can load up the water intake with water and the discharge vane will limit the water level accross the riffles to about 1 1/4" give or take, but should increase the volicity. And with having more water then I need in the front of the discharge vane all the crap should be discharged...It all sounds good in my head atleast :) Here is pictures of the finished product er well proto-type, if it works then I will make one that isn't hacked together. I'm even considering building and selling them.
IMAG0195.jpg IMAG0192.jpg

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you hit a Home Run with this design.
Like you said, keep the intake full...half the water removes the oversize and the rest runs down the box.
Can't wait to see the video.
Well done.
P.S. Left a message in your profile page.
Bob

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading something about that bazooka gold dredge. The author was saying he couldn't understand why he wasn't recovering all his test gold. Under study they found 'streams of fine gold' going around the holes. I would suggest, some sort of capture buckets/bins at the side outflows to make sure you aren't losing fines.

Also if the diverter isn't resting on the punch plate, gold that hasn't made it into a hole would flow under the diverter and back along the sluice.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there were streams of fine gold going around the holes, then maybe there was a current coming up out of the punch plate.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bazooka gold dredge is an entirely different animal.

newbaz3.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bazooka gold dredge is an entirely different animal.

GG~
Gould-Gravity-Trap
Found the article - Sluice 101 Gold Prospectors May/Jun 2008, pg 20 Reggie Gould

Found it on line at
Gold Prospectors Network - High Banking History

Punch Plate

The Punch Plate appears to be a substitute for the Grizzly. The principle is sound, the overburden flows over the surface of the Punch Plate while the heavy Black Sand and Gold go through the holes in the plate and flow into the recovery system.

When I was building my Gould-Gravity-Trap I bought a length of Punch Plate for the length of my Sluice Box. The system seemed to function quite well until I spiked the incoming material with a measured amount of Gold.

When I did a cleanup I was missing the very fine Gold. I ran the same test over and over again with the same results, what is going on, where is the fine Gold going?

This time I poured the material into the front of the Punch Plate and stood over the plate to see what was happening. I could not see any problem it was functioning the way it was supposed to. I changed the incoming flow of water and the higher flow increased the loss of fine Gold where decreasing the flow increased the recovery.

The incoming water splashing around on the plate makes it next to impossible to view it with a magnifying glass, so I decided to take pictures with a high-speed digital camera.

I used the micro setting at a distance of around 12”.

When I processed the pictures in the computer I saw something I could not see with the naked eye. There were little small rivers of fine Gold going around each hole. I could not actually see the larger Gold drop through the hole but I know it had to.

The 20 dollar question is why the little rivers of Gold? At this point I can only speculate on what is going on. I have found with experimentation in the past that water has a high surface tension to small particles. It is much easier to see this if you stop the water flow and leave enough water on the plate to cover it completely. Sprinkle some flour Gold and Black Sand around the diameter of the hole. The height of the powder will build up around the diameter of the hole where it will flatten out farther from the hole.

Take some pictures of this with a micro lens and view the results.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there were streams of fine gold going around the holes, then maybe there was a current coming up out of the punch plate.
Excellent point. That would be simple enough to test by introducing pigments to the inflow below the punch plate.

If it has more to do with surface tension (I dontknow, not a fluids guy), then maybe something can be done to the holes to encourage the gold to drop. Perhaps slots every so often.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a dredge sluice a rubber flap extends from the crash box over the front section of the sluice to help knock down the fines.
That pesky flour gold wants to go surfing especially when the water flow is fast.

GG~

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks jcazgoldchaser ill check into it..
im going to the river tomarrow got a new small sampling sluice to try out.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid $0.50 (fifty cents)/lb for drops today. 2 2"x24" Telescoping perforated tube a 1-1/2" x ~4' which fits inside those and ~3' of 2" angle. 13 bucks.

1/8 & 3/16 perf sheet has lots of holes, not much metal/weight. Depending on the place, probably more $$ per lb. I know there's another place here that's closer to a buck. I wander back to their shear and go through the pile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread