Angus classifier

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Caminochaos

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010
Usually ill fill buckets with unclassified material and the scoop it in. If im shoveling directly into it i set it on the grizzly. Jarring isn't an issue.

As far as my taillings i usually build up a platform in a deeper part of the creek to set the sluice on that way the tailings fall into a hole in front of the sluice.

Removing the classifying step saves some time and more importantly your back.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All this classifying talk had my brain running and kept me up until almost 1am this morning. Here are my thoughts on the subject. I have an A.M. Alaskan flair sluice and am now thinking of building a frame out of 3/4-1" angle aluminum, bolt it together, line the frame with 1/4-3/8" hardware cloth and hinge it at the front of the flair for dumping the big stuff in front of the sluice. It would angle up from the front of the sluice to the end of the flair over about 9" with a rise of 2.5". Any thoughts? Yes I am copying and pasting this response...lol

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chrisin I just bought the same exact sluice you have and similar mods are going in place but I have a mackirk bucket grizzly too and almost fits so I'm going to use a cut bucket to det the grizzly in and use a bracket to hold the bucket just above the top of sluice to dump material in and use pins to secure it

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you set your Mac Kirk up right you don't need to classify. You can shovel straight in from the bank or wherever you want! I run the boss and a recon and never classify. Waste of time.
And I have plenty of micro gold to prove it

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
chrisin I just bought the same exact sluice you have and similar mods are going in place but I have a mackirk bucket grizzly too and almost fits so I'm going to use a cut bucket to det the grizzly in and use a bracket to hold the bucket just above the top of sluice to dump material in and use pins to secure it

I'd be concerned about losing gold as you'll be subjecting the sluice to a lot of movement from the impact of material hitting the grizzly. Doesn't take much vibration/movement to kick gold out of a riffle.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ezrider I tried 3 runs unclassified in this Alaskan flair unit I have did not get anything and my gold is ultra fine my first run I did was using my hand trammel with a water bar bilge pump set up and got 2 to 3 specs of fly poop gold so I decided to try unclassified and 3 test holes and clean outs later nothing so I decided to mod my bucket grizzly on to it so at least i'll feel better about it now but my tests conclude or for me that in my am sluice you got to classify if you know how to get away unclassifying even better my prob is I have 6" to 8" round rocks on average to wash off then as I get deeper there not so many and get to the better material....................... Even A/M says classify to at least 1/2" on all there sluices and my trammel I have the screen size at 1/4" which I have the most success with but with a/m's I prefer to classify and its not all that more time consuming the way will be set up.......all I say is to each there own I wish you very full pans of gold!

CO2

Sep 20, 2015
approx 1 mile high
Detector(s) used
12' corrugated plastic drainpipe, BGT Pro. 30
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been wondering if it would be possible to put an AM sluice behind a BGT to catch the micros the BGT might blow out. But I slide huge rocks across the top of the BGT so I dunno.

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ezrider I tried 3 runs unclassified in this Alaskan flair unit I have did not get anything and my gold is ultra fine my first run I did was using my hand trammel with a water bar bilge pump set up and got 2 to 3 specs of fly poop gold so I decided to try unclassified and 3 test holes and clean outs later nothing so I decided to mod my bucket grizzly on to it so at least i'll feel better about it now but my tests conclude or for me that in my am sluice you got to classify if you know how to get away unclassifying even better my prob is I have 6" to 8" round rocks on average to wash off then as I get deeper there not so many and get to the better material....................... Even A/M says classify to at least 1/2" on all there sluices and my trammel I have the screen size at 1/4" which I have the most success with but with a/m's I prefer to classify and its not all that more time consuming the way will be set up.......all I say is to each there own I wish you very full pans of gold!

I will shoot a video for this weekend when I go out as long as the rain stays away. Heavy pans

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
A little pricy for what it is ..... But I like it....:thumbsup:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been wondering if it would be possible to put an AM sluice behind a BGT to catch the micros the BGT might blow out. But I slide huge rocks across the top of the BGT so I dunno.

You could. Just build a ramp to carry the rocks from the top off to one side. I doubt you'd catch much of anything though.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well when I get a chance i'll show my modded set up I think it will work pretty good now I just got to find a darn memory card for the camera!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread