6/03/12 THE BAZOOKA GOLD TRAP DOES IT AGAIN! - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: 6/03/12 THE BAZOOKA GOLD TRAP DOES IT AGAIN!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2012
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodyguy

The fluid bed trap should catch most everything as long as you make sure that all the material entering the trap gets dunked and cant just flow straight across and over the discharge vent. You will need to add a diverter riffle just after the grizzly underneath the top of the trap that extends below the water surface in the trap by 1/2"

That way the water and material passing through the grizzly gets forced underwater in the trap deep enough that it cant just surf straight across and out.

GG~
    Thankyou that saves me a lot of stainless and planning. What distance inlet do I need to make sure the trap works

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4125 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by mapatrin View Post
    Thankyou that saves me a lot of stainless and planning. What distance inlet do I need to make sure the trap works
    Not sure I understand the question, can you be more specific?

For some extra insight click on this link for the original Schmidt design that the bazooka was patterned off of: Sluice trap
    *Note there are two designs shown

Also you may want to build it from aluminum to save weight and cost.
    Here is one I made from aluminum:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gt1.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	720095

Note the diverter baffle. and that on my design of lowering the slick plate in front of the trap that there is no uphill grizzly for rocks to get hung up on.
    (Classifier removed to show detail)

Name:	gt2.jpg 
Views:	1564 
Size:	538.1 KB 
ID:	720096

The arrow points to the V in front of the classifier that acts as a nugget trap.

Name:	gt3.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	720097
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
    nuggetshooter323 and Aufisher like this.

us
    Jun 2009
    304 times
    Mapatrin, here is several DIY builds of bazooka's (fluid beds) that either me or Goodyguy built, I put them in order from earliest to latest, the latest are no doubt the better ones:

My (first) DIY Gold Trap (Fluid bed) type sluice posted Jan 31, 2011:

Built a gold trap sluice

My vortex matting highbanker with raised expanded/carpeting with a Fluid bed trap on the end posted Jun 01, 2011:

Eastern US Prospectors :: Log in

Goodyguys DIY Fluid Bed Gold Trap posted Oct 14, 2011:

My Diy Fluid Bed Gold Trap Sluice

My Bucket Highbanker with Fluidized Hydraulic Riffles posted Dec 20, 2011:

Bucket highbanker with hydraulic/fluidized bed riffles

My Low profile DIY fluid bed highbanker /sluice posted on Jan 04, 2012:

My even lower profile DIY fluid bed sluice posted on Jan 13, 2012:

My DIY Double flared fluid bed sluice with 3 chambers posted May 04, 2012:

DIY Double flared fluid bed sluice, with 3 chambers.

Note that you might have to join the other forum to see the posts, but it is free to join. I posted most of those builds here too but I cant find the links for them offhand. There's also several other threads on how to make a gold trap sluice floating around and I am sure Goodyguy has more builds as well I just did not see them in a search for 'bazooka gold sluice' here. If others can post them that would be great.
    Goodyguy and sidvail like this.
    Sample till you find the hot spot, then mine it till its gone! Then start over...

Dec 2012
    7 times
    Thanks guys that's so much help, still don't understand the science but if it work it works lol

us
    Jun 2009
    304 times
    If you have ever used a gold pan, you have used a fluid bed. That's how uncomplicated it is.
    Sample till you find the hot spot, then mine it till its gone! Then start over...

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4125 times
    Thanks guys that's so much help, still don't understand the science but if it work it works lol
    The water squirting through holes in the tubes located in the trap keeps the trapped material liquified enough that the heavies sink to the bottom (kind of like a rock sinking in quicksand) while the lighter material constantly gets washed out the overflow port.

Dec 2012
    7 times
    Because I'm in the uk and the gold spots are remote I need to make a portable trap I like the manifold idea as I can make the trap in 2 parts, also like the multi compartment idea THANKS guys. Wish I was in USA looks so much more fun prospecting compared to the uk lol
    @ Goodguy just a thought for you highbanker. Could you make the base underneath the actual trap sink shaped ( very slightly angled to one point) with a large tube connected to a plug hole with a stop valve then you can stop the water flow empty the trap of all it's material easily, close the stop tap and restart the water would this work ?
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    4125 times
    Goodguy just a thought for you highbanker. Could you make the base underneath the actual trap sink shaped ( very slightly angled to one point) with a large tube connected to a plug hole with a stop valve then you can stop the water flow empty the trap of all it's material easily, close the stop tap and restart the water would this work ?
    YES! In fact I discussed that idea in detail in a thread posted some time ago for use in an add on trap for a commercial washplant sluice(s)
    Something I believe all commercial washplants should have installed at the end of their sluices that could save tens of thousands of dollars worth of fine gold loss.

GG~

Dec 2012
    7 times
    Quick one lads . fisher 1236 or xp goldmaxx ? Aluminium ordered £25 for 1mx1mx2mm just got to put it together now lol thanks guys

Dec 2012
    7 times
    @astro you have compartment in your fluid bed would it help if I angle the partition pieces in the fluid bed so when the sluice is set up the partition is vertical . Also tubes in middle with holes in each side or against the edges with holes only in one side , I have design my sluice with the trap 1/5 the size of the sluice will this give enough power to the fluid bed ? Sorry and thanks l

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2470 times
    Okay, I built the pump found here

GOLD RECOVERY PUMP

It looks interesting enough that I am modding one in a few ways. I am going to be using it as a dredge pump, so it feeds a hose with a check valve in the boomer box GG style, instead of on the unit itself as in the original plans. But my main focus has been on the collection capabilities of the area of the pump below the plunger under the intake/outake. It is a perfect area for a fluid bed trap, but I am trying to increase the amount of sediment suspension by increasing water flow. However, it already has fairly effective ways of removing the heavies from the sediments in suspension.

As the sediment/ water pass the first check valve, and enters the main pump body, water velocity drops as the 1 1/2" hose enters the 4" internal area of the pump body. Some heavies fall out right there, and are swept over the edge into the holding area by water flow. Then the water is being pulled and turned up 90 degrees from the main flow direction. Lighter sediments can make this 90 degree turn, but I wager that most remaining heavies can't. Subsequently they fall out of the main water flow up into the cylinder, and fall into the main collection area at the base of the pump. Then as the pump plunger descends, water is forced downward toward the collection area, and makes another 90 turn out of the pump to the exit hose. Here again, this time with the help of gravity, sediments in suspension are subject to forces which allow the lighter stuff to make the turn, but the heavies cannot. And this time momentum carries them directly down into the collection area at the base.

Concern: Much like in a bazooka sluice, I could see the collection area rapidly filling with sediments and rocks. In the bazooka fluid trap there are tubes feeding constant water flow into the bed to keep particles suspended, and to keep the light stuff exiting. No such feature on this pump. So what is to prevent the collection area from just filling up with junk and then ceasing to function as a collector? Entrainment might pull a lot of light stuff out of there as the water flows by above it, but I would like to figure out a way to feed water to the base of it so there would be internal flow upwards through the collection area at the base of this pump. It might be as simple as installing a 1/2" pipe inside the pump under the plunger, or a hose along the outside for the same purpose. Or perhaps an internal grizzly. I even have something on the drawing board for another pump inside the main one just for fluidizing the bed. Feedback appreciated.

This pump was originally designed for sniping and crack cleaning, not running a sluice or serving as a fluid bed trap, just be aware. I have been looking at maybe building one from transparent pipe to see what is going on internally, but haven't found a good source for transparent PVC pipe yet. I also plan on doing some cold weather testing with a couple of bins of water and sediment with lead weights as test gold. When I get that going, I will post video.
    Last edited by UncleMatt; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
    sidvail likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2470 times
    Eureka! I figured out a very simple way to pass all the water that moves through this pump to feed the fluid bed/nugget trap at its base. All you need is a short piece of flexible 1 1/2" intake hose from the inside of the intake check valve that then curves down to about 3/4" above the bottom of the holding area. A wire holder will keep the end of this tube centered in the trap area so that water moves from the center hose outward along the bottom of the trap to the trap walls, and then upwards. That way all the water flushes up through the sediments and rocks in the trap with each stroke. All the lighter material will move up, and all the heavies will stay at the bottom. No additional valves or pump means required.

You could also glue a short piece of pcv pipe to the bottom of the trap with half circles carved into the edge to be glued. Then the hose goes over this improvised nipple and gets clamped.The water then exits into the trap bottom through those half circle holes.

I hope to test this contraption this weekend if I can get it fabbed up.

NOTE: I don't mean to derail this thread, and if the moderator thinks it wise to move this to its own thread, I would be all for that. I plan on using this pump to feed my bazooka prospector, but I also plan on using it as a standalone fluid bed pump.
    Last edited by UncleMatt; Jan 09, 2013 at 06:53 PM.

Sep 2012
    Black Hawk
    11 times
    Only a gallon of cons from 13 buckets?

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10545 times
    Prospecting
    Got out today for 1.5 hours, had a great time as always. Found 5 +20 mesh flakes and lots of fines as usual...total was just over 1/4 gram. One thing about this Bazooka Prospector that I like is the volume of cons it produces: always one full pan worth (in my Proline 14") - that makes it easy to pan down to super cons at the creek, very convenient.

Btw, I also found two bullets and my usual load of lead pellets :-)

Mine it and recycle it!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Jan 14, 2013 at 01:01 PM.

It is more than a hobby. It is a lifestyle .

Dec 2012
    Redding, Ca
    BGT Prospector BGT Super Mini Angus MacKirk Explorer South Yuba Mining Highbanker
    367 times
    Prospecting
    Well I am all in. I just ordered a Mini Super! After doing my research and listening to what y'all have to say I felt like I was just wasting time not to. I don't really see a down side. I know some will say I could have easily made one...... Well maybe except I can barley make the bed so I will stick with the store bought for now.
    Alan U
    "Crack Addict"

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links