6/03/12 THE BAZOOKA GOLD TRAP DOES IT AGAIN!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I built the pump found here

GOLD RECOVERY PUMP

It looks interesting enough that I am modding one in a few ways. I am going to be using it as a dredge pump, so it feeds a hose with a check valve in the boomer box GG style, instead of on the unit itself as in the original plans. But my main focus has been on the collection capabilities of the area of the pump below the plunger under the intake/outake. It is a perfect area for a fluid bed trap, but I am trying to increase the amount of sediment suspension by increasing water flow. However, it already has fairly effective ways of removing the heavies from the sediments in suspension.

As the sediment/ water pass the first check valve, and enters the main pump body, water velocity drops as the 1 1/2" hose enters the 4" internal area of the pump body. Some heavies fall out right there, and are swept over the edge into the holding area by water flow. Then the water is being pulled and turned up 90 degrees from the main flow direction. Lighter sediments can make this 90 degree turn, but I wager that most remaining heavies can't. Subsequently they fall out of the main water flow up into the cylinder, and fall into the main collection area at the base of the pump. Then as the pump plunger descends, water is forced downward toward the collection area, and makes another 90 turn out of the pump to the exit hose. Here again, this time with the help of gravity, sediments in suspension are subject to forces which allow the lighter stuff to make the turn, but the heavies cannot. And this time momentum carries them directly down into the collection area at the base.

Concern: Much like in a bazooka sluice, I could see the collection area rapidly filling with sediments and rocks. In the bazooka fluid trap there are tubes feeding constant water flow into the bed to keep particles suspended, and to keep the light stuff exiting. No such feature on this pump. So what is to prevent the collection area from just filling up with junk and then ceasing to function as a collector? Entrainment might pull a lot of light stuff out of there as the water flows by above it, but I would like to figure out a way to feed water to the base of it so there would be internal flow upwards through the collection area at the base of this pump. It might be as simple as installing a 1/2" pipe inside the pump under the plunger, or a hose along the outside for the same purpose. Or perhaps an internal grizzly. I even have something on the drawing board for another pump inside the main one just for fluidizing the bed. Feedback appreciated.

This pump was originally designed for sniping and crack cleaning, not running a sluice or serving as a fluid bed trap, just be aware. I have been looking at maybe building one from transparent pipe to see what is going on internally, but haven't found a good source for transparent PVC pipe yet. I also plan on doing some cold weather testing with a couple of bins of water and sediment with lead weights as test gold. When I get that going, I will post video.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eureka! I figured out a very simple way to pass all the water that moves through this pump to feed the fluid bed/nugget trap at its base. All you need is a short piece of flexible 1 1/2" intake hose from the inside of the intake check valve that then curves down to about 3/4" above the bottom of the holding area. A wire holder will keep the end of this tube centered in the trap area so that water moves from the center hose outward along the bottom of the trap to the trap walls, and then upwards. That way all the water flushes up through the sediments and rocks in the trap with each stroke. All the lighter material will move up, and all the heavies will stay at the bottom. No additional valves or pump means required.

You could also glue a short piece of pcv pipe to the bottom of the trap with half circles carved into the edge to be glued. Then the hose goes over this improvised nipple and gets clamped.The water then exits into the trap bottom through those half circle holes.

I hope to test this contraption this weekend if I can get it fabbed up.

NOTE: I don't mean to derail this thread, and if the moderator thinks it wise to move this to its own thread, I would be all for that. I plan on using this pump to feed my bazooka prospector, but I also plan on using it as a standalone fluid bed pump.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out today for 1.5 hours, had a great time as always. Found 5 +20 mesh flakes and lots of fines as usual...total was just over 1/4 gram. One thing about this Bazooka Prospector that I like is the volume of cons it produces: always one full pan worth (in my Proline 14") - that makes it easy to pan down to super cons at the creek, very convenient.

Btw, I also found two bullets and my usual load of lead pellets :-)

Mine it and recycle it!

Last edited:

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I am all in. I just ordered a Mini Super! After doing my research and listening to what y'all have to say I felt like I was just wasting time not to. I don't really see a down side. I know some will say I could have easily made one...... Well maybe except I can barley make the bed so I will stick with the store bought for now.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hay rdg sluicer

you will love the super mini i have one and a super prospector but the super mini is so easy to carry and it handles a 3 gallon bucket in about a min so you can move alot of dirt with that little guy. good luck to ya dont hurt your back lol....

Tackleberry

Jan 9, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Made the mod to my Super Mini I just got in the mail. Thanks Atrobouncer for the video. I am in the Charlotte region so the argument about catching the fines was a compelling case. Hope it works out for me as it does for you.

IMAG0278.jpg

Sportsman

Jan 3, 2013
Tried out a borrowed Prospector yesterday and was pleased. It does need a lot of water! I had to readjust several times until I got enough drop and increased my v with rocks to increase water flow. I have only panned out a few scoops of cons but so far I'm impressed. I ran 3 wheelbarrows of dirt in about 2.5 hours including digging. It took me a day and a half do do the same thing with the Angus Mackirk classifying. I'm going to hopefully finish cons today and compare my gold total to last week with AM. I have found some fine gold already so I'm impressed (visible but pin point size)

Here's my dilemma. I've seen enough to buy one but need to decide between prospector and super mini. I have enough flow for prospector at current river but probably won't always. I may purchase both long term but for now need one. It seemed to be taking me about 3-5 minutes per 5 gallon bucket which is slower than rated although I'm fine with that speed. I suspect it was lack of water flow that was the issue? Grizzly was clearing fine including 1/2" mesh I had zip tied. The inside box was filling up on me and bubbling at the grizzly. Is this normal? Going slower helped clear it. Going slow also helped me keep up with tailing pile.

How much slower would super mini be?

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not much at all, as you would have a better flow rate i run my super mini all the time i havent even used my super prospector yet becouse the super mini handles everything i throw at it, also out performed my A52 so i sold it. pluse it's nice to just throw everything in a bucket and start hiking. i use three gallon buckets and it clears them in in about 1-2 mins and i catch very fine gold.

Sportsman

Jan 3, 2013
I was amazed at how fine of gold I caught in Prospector. I just finished processing cons and prospector matched angus Mackirk AU trap for fine gold and total gold was about same for a fraction of the work.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sportsman, that matches my experience too. I only use my Mackirk when there is low water flow these days 'cause the prospector is so easy/fast!

Last edited:

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Kevin, I'm fairly new, but I have a tiny little Angus Mackirk sluice I tote in my carry-on bag. I just used it for the first time and really had to get a good drop and fast flow to keep it from clogging up. Is the small one just a toy? Or was I doing something wrong? I also brought a full sized Braun drop riffle sluice that seemed to do much better. Both trapped gold of all sizes including super fines, but that small one wouldn't move material unless the water was really ripping thru it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Btw, I am classifying material down to 1/4" before running it. And water temp is right at 32°... had to break ice to get the sluices set up. The fever knows no season and despite cold temps, it was great to get out and find some color!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brrrr! I've been out lately too so I can sympathize!

Unfortunately I have no experience with the small Mackirk so ...maybe someone else can chime in?

Sportsman

Jan 3, 2013
I don't have the small one but I classify to at least 1/8 and preferably 1/16 for flour gold. Partly why I'm switching to Bazooka when I have enough flow.

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Ok thanks for the info gentlemen!
I've included a shot of the mods i made to the Braun to eliminate flexing and have the ultimate adjustment capability
ForumRunner_20130128_212739.png

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
3029Heavy - all those mods are why I chose the Mackirk...comes as a really solid sturdy unit. I love how easy it is to set up! When there is enough flow I use my Goldtrap to avoid classifying but when I need it the Mackirk is really great. (I have the expedition model) I should add that I do screen to 1/6 inch when I use my Mackirk.

Last edited:

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3029, I have the AM Backpacker, you'll have to classify down to at least 1/8 (smaller if possible) to let the sluice work properly. 1/4 allows rocks that are too large and requires more water to wash out through such a small sluice.

I bought a Bazooka Gold Trap - Miner directly from Todd (owner). My son twisted my arm into getting a Mini also, I love that thing as I don't have to worry about classifying.... Unfortunately, the creek where I tried it in, didn't have much gold (nothing in test pans)... :-[ I'm ready to buy a Prospector too and sell my other 8 sluice boxes, haha.

Sportsman

Jan 3, 2013
Well I pulled the trigger on my own Bazooka. Called and talked to Todd and ordered a super prospector 36" model. It will be the weekend of 15th before I can go again so it should be here by then. Can't wait.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
good luck guys good glove's help lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread