Looking for a place to run a sluice around Placerville, CA

CheeseNugget

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2012
Placerville,CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the prospecting thing and am looking for somewhere to go looking for gold when I get to California. I am in Illinois and am going to be going to Placerville, CA on the 12th of July 2012. I am wanting to show my 6 year old son how pan as-well. If anybody can help me out with a nice spot to set up a Drop riffle, Fluid bed, sluice box I call the "Gold Cadillac". I am leaving a couple pictures of it below. Thanks all, James A. W. Jr. (Cheese Nugget)
IMG_20120523_131251.jpg IMG_20120523_131346.jpg IMG_20120523_131555.jpg IMG_20120523_131609.jpg

Edson

Nov 20, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot claims up there so you don't want to go just anywhere and get shot at. Best place to go is the Auburn Recreational Area. No claims are allowed there so no worries. You can pan and sluice there up to the high water mark, no highbanking. It is a large area so you can find spots all to yourself. Here's a link to the area http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/502/files/ASRANews111503.pdf

Another spot up there is the Bear river campground off of Colfax, you can always find some color there. Just stop by one of prospecting stores up there and they'll give you directions.

Good luck and let us know how you did.
Edson

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
You might try a pm to Pville Hunter, Gravelwasher, I believe that is their stomping grounds and they may be able to steer you to some open areas... PS nice looking sluice....

OP
OP
CheeseNugget

CheeseNugget

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2012
Placerville,CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to start making the Gold Cadilac To sell soon and am wondering if anybody would be interested in The "Gold Cadilac"? If so just message me. Thanks again, CheesNugget (James)

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you plan on sharing the profits with the guy that came up with these sluices....wink wink... Picture 062.jpg
Love, Dad

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
or the guy that helped you guys make the first ones.wink,wink!:) James good luck to you now that your in California! the Auburn rec. area sounds like a good location to start. and stop by the Pioneer Mining supply there and say hi to the guys!

OP
OP
CheeseNugget

CheeseNugget

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2012
Placerville,CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for a less crowded area to go with my son. Thanks, Russ for the support and I Wish you luck on your next Prospecting Adventure. I'm going to be having a few days to check out a new place up in Happy Valley On a friends property but my son can't make it down to the spot. If anyone has any spots that they are willing to share so I can show my son how to Prospect That would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, CheeseNugget

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, I wanna see some pics of that boy when he gets a pan in his hands. Wish I could be there to help you teach him.... Good luck at Happy valley, let me know how you do.

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cheese: less crowded than where? Are you still in pville? There is good PANNING spots at lotus park and turtle pond. Both are day use areas, so bathrooms and parking. Turtle pond is a bit of a walk( quarter mile or so). Chili bar is supposed to be good too, but I be never been prospecting there. Rock creek has a lot of black sand, bit I never found color there; might have been looking in the wrong place though... Get a topo map of your area, look for good creeks and streams, then hike in with just a pan and classifier. Look out for claim signs! Gold is where you find it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread