Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Friday smile8-)

HOW TO CATCH A POLAR BEAR

1. Cut a large hole in the ice

2. Sprinkle several bags of frozen peas around the outside of the hole

3. Hide behind a snow drift and wait for the peas to draw the bear in...

4. When the bear goes to take a pea

YOU KICK HIM IN THE ICEHOLE:-) May this keep you smiling until your pan is full of color...

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my best find was mom. 20 years ago I got this phone call from some strange woman. I picked up the phone and this lady asked if I was Reed Lukens and I said yes. Then this lady said “I think I’m your sister”, she started crying hysterically on the phone and then click… She hung up… hehe. Well she called back a while later after she had calmed down and we talked. I had been given up for adoption as a baby and Michelle had then found out about me and Gina was the one who called after they all did the research and found me. And that was the beginning.

Next I went over and met Mom for the first time at her house, we just sat there and stared at each other for who knows how long. Then I said to her “I know you” :) She owned… Was it “Cheryl’s Clothes Closet?” on High Street just down from the Edelweiss. I had walked in there back around 1980 with a friend of mine and we had talked for a long time. She remembered that day like it was yesterday... After we walked out side my friend, I think it was John Kelly, said “Dude that has to be your sister… You guys look so much like each other.” And I said who knows, yea it could be cause you know, I was adopted. Who knows…And it turned out that this was my mom :)

It’s funny that we all grew up so close to each other. My half sisters all went to Nevada Union and grew up off of East Lime Kiln and then to top it off we were all gold miners. Her husbands family owned the Morning Glory group of hardrock mines in Alleghany and this is my favorite pic of her from back in the day.
moms gold.jpg

THE MORNING GLORY LODE MINE.
First prospected in the 1870’s. Located approximately 1/2 mile on
Kanaka creek, above the Original Sixteen-To-One gold mine in the historic mining Community of Alleghany California. The first and only owners were Martin Rohrig and his three sons. This lode claim produced some of the most spectacular crystalline gold in white quartz matrix ever mined. From 1943 for a period of some eight years a single chunk of this extraordinary vein weighing over seven pounds eleven oz. was entered in The California State Fair, winning FIRST place each and every year. It was then retired. Because of the particular geographical location, this gold has a unique tone that is recognized by those who worked the great mines. Mom is holding the 7lb nugget. I ended up selling a few of the specimens for them quite a few years ago & the 7 lb’er was sold years ago now. But I’ll never forget that first day when we met. It was love at first sight.

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Reed Lukens,

That is quite the heart jerker of a story, congratulations on getting re acquainted with your mom, just cant keep destiny away, it was meant to be. Thanks for sharing such a great moment in time for you with us all, really enjoyed reading and seeing the wonderful picture. Truly a golden moment where the true gold is not the physical gold at all!!!

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That morning pic from the tent is almost jaw dropping. Looks so serene and peaceful. Go turn on the camp stove, put on a pot a coffee, start the fire....live the good life. Can I copy your pic and use it for my wallpaper? It's January and cold as hell here in WA State, I'd love to stay warm and imagine my upcoming summer days.
My best find to date, View attachment 666094 , found the pile of them this past weekend while prospecting. Out in this beautiful river canyon I found the kind of gold that fills the heart and spirit with Joy! View attachment 666095 This is the view from my little tent Saturday morning. And then back in 2010 I had the pleasure of detecting, panning, sluicing out this ole heavy stuff that I don't even know why I bothered with it as it is quite heavy to carry out.

View attachment 666099 Hey Oakview2, I hope your thread catches on!! All the best...........63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my best find was mom. 20 years ago I got this phone call from some strange woman. I picked up the phone and this lady asked if I was Reed Lukens and I said yes. Then this lady said “I think I’m your sister”, she started crying hysterically on the phone and then click… She hung up… hehe. Well she called back a while later after she had calmed down and we talked. I had been given up for adoption as a baby and Michelle had then found out about me and Gina was the one who called after they all did the research and found me. And that was the beginning.

Next I went over and met Mom for the first time at her house, we just sat there and stared at each other for who knows how long. Then I said to her “I know you” :) She owned… Was it “Cheryl’s Clothes Closet?” on High Street just down from the Edelweiss. I had walked in there back around 1980 with a friend of mine and we had talked for a long time. She remembered that day like it was yesterday... After we walked out side my friend, I think it was John Kelly, said “Dude that has to be your sister… You guys look so much like each other.” And I said who knows, yea it could be cause you know, I was adopted. Who knows…And it turned out that this was my mom :)

It’s funny that we all grew up so close to each other. My half sisters all went to Nevada Union and grew up off of East Lime Kiln and then to top it off we were all gold miners. Her husbands family owned the Morning Glory group of hardrock mines in Alleghany and this is my favorite pic of her from back in the day.
View attachment 728221

THE MORNING GLORY LODE MINE.
First prospected in the 1870’s. Located approximately 1/2 mile on
Kanaka creek, above the Original Sixteen-To-One gold mine in the historic mining Community of Alleghany California. The first and only owners were Martin Rohrig and his three sons. This lode claim produced some of the most spectacular crystalline gold in white quartz matrix ever mined. From 1943 for a period of some eight years a single chunk of this extraordinary vein weighing over seven pounds eleven oz. was entered in The California State Fair, winning FIRST place each and every year. It was then retired. Because of the particular geographical location, this gold has a unique tone that is recognized by those who worked the great mines. Mom is holding the 7lb nugget. I ended up selling a few of the specimens for them quite a few years ago & the 7 lb’er was sold years ago now. But I’ll never forget that first day when we met. It was love at first sight.

Reed, thanks for sharing - The Alleghany district is a unique geological area, unknown to the average joe prospectors, Melones Fault, right? I was lucky to
to tour underground at 16-1 mine and to see some mind-blowing gold/quartz. The Plumbago, Kenton, Yellowjacket, and many others, still have 1,000s of
ozs underground, but enviros have steamrolled these hard rock mines, just like the dredgers. Is Mike Miller still fighting, or have they killed him off?

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Best find of the thread, family. You obviously found real treasure. The gold ain't bad, but that fancy grade Colt caught my eye. Here's my 1883 Colt 44 single action.

Attachments

• 1-20-13 005.JPG
    1-20-13 005.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Our club is raffling off a 11 gram piece as a part of our fundraising, we do outreach to schools to explain mining and of course aquire new ground. If you are interested, you can purchase tickets online via paypal

Coarsegold Gold Prospectors

Attachments

• beatle_nugget.gif
    beatle_nugget.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is my result from yesterday. 7 grains is really good for me sluicing in metro Denver. I got to spend several hours in the warmest part of the day in the creek digging away my worries :) and running my Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector. Didn't even use a bucket: it was only two steps from the hole to the sluice and I've found that I can empty the Prospector directly into a 14 inch Proline pan without any trouble.

As is common at this site, I also found and removed a lot of lead - old bullets and birdshot from back when this part of Denver was ranch land...

PS : the coin is the size of a dime.

Attachments

• image-414922136.jpg
    image-414922136.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 257

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right so this example is 0.44 grams. Sorry for the old school weights but you have to admit 7 grains sounds better! LOL

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Here is my result from yesterday. 7 grains is really good for me sluicing in metro Denver. I got to spend several hours in the warmest part of the day in the creek digging away my worries :) and running my Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector. Didn't even use a bucket: it was only two steps from the hole to the sluice and I've found that I can empty the Prospector directly into a 14 inch Proline pan without any trouble.

As is common at this site, I also found and removed a lot of lead - old bullets and birdshot from back when this part of Denver was ranch land...

PS : the coin is the size of a dime.

That's really nice Kevin! I thought I had a good spot! My twin boys and I worked easter sunday and got about half that

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's really nice Kevin! I thought I had a good spot! My twin boys and I worked easter sunday and got about half that

Thanks, it was quite a honey hole! I wish that was normal for me but not really. That's why I thought to share it here :D

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost half a gram of free money! - its like finding a twenty dollar bill, but more fun!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Waaaaay more fun!

Good thing too because I would have made just as much working at Burger King for those three hours! Then I would also get free food! ;-)

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is about half of my total take, My oldest grandaughter dropped the vial on the Patio and it broke. This is what I could retrieve. Oh well, I'll get more. 582196_2646892270414_885732650_n.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bummer! Switch to a plastic container and go dig some more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread