Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not tried his but I have tried a gold trap sluice (and own it.)

I bought a Bazooka Gold Trap sluice which does not need to have the material classified.
I like it, its a good box that got a lot of micro gold along with the larger stuff.

Here is a video of the first time I used it, just 1 5gal bucket from cleaning cracks, you can see how well it did.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEO,

a couple drops of dish washing soap, is all you need to break the surface tension of the water.

Actually any kind of soap should work. Good post, Good Luck.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO SOAP NEVER EVER AS IT FLOATS GOLD FOR GODS SAKE- jet dry is the surfactant you want to use as it releases oxygen and tightens up the surface tension for better recovery. Just google a floatation cell to see why NO SOAP-even if told so by the pope as gospel-John

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, i checked out the Bazooka Gold Trap and it does sound interesting. But are either of them any better than a standard sluice for the average person?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have bought a little thing of Jet-Dry since that video. :)

Rebel;

The Bazooka is better in that you do not have to classify first.
The Bazooka is worse in that you lose any nuggets over 1/2" in size.
The Bazooka is better in how quick the initial cleanup is.
The Bazooka is worse in how long the following cleanup of the cons takes.

The Bazooka also needs more water flow.

Chip (Miners Cache owner here in Redding) had a friend of his use it with a regular sluice behind it, his friend isnt back with the results yet but he will let me know how it did when he gets back.

In the long run of things, the Bazooka is quicker but you lose larger nuggets and specimens that a normal sluice would catch.

From what I hear they are working on a nugget catcher attachment though.

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Neo. Not many nuggets at all around here, let alone over 1/2", so no problem in that respect.:laughing7: I have a large free standing classifier so classifying don't take any longer that shoveling into a bucket would. So that isn't an issue either. So in the long run i guess i just keep on using the sluice i have. Thanks for the info though.:icon_thumright:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rebel......

Do you have a photo of the large free standing classifier?
Sounds interesting and I'm always on the lookout for classifying ideas.

I have a bazooka style sluice that I use in certain situations and it works great as a time saver as long as the water is running fast enough to properly supply the fluid bed.

Usually I dig right next to where I set it up close to the bank and dump the material right onto it using my scoop shovel. Once that area is finished I'll move the sluice and start over.

Clean up is a breeze..... just a few dunks into a half full 5 gal bucket of water and it's clean.

My scoop shovel can be used right in the creek ....

scoop.jpg scoop1.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics

If i did this right here are pics of the free standing classifier as well as the shovel i had a friend weld up for me. Works great in water and out.

Attachments

• IM001489.JPG
    IM001489.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 438
  • IM001490.JPG
    IM001490.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 310

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I like it, and the shovel too!

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Yea, they both simplify things. I am thinking about modifying the classifier by putting the 1/2" screen one one side and then a 1/4" on the other side of the 2x4 and run the stuff over 1/2" off the end since there is not a piece of gold in this area that big, and then putting a bucket at the end of the 1/4" screen and catching the stuff between 1/4" and 1/2" and then checking it out with a metal detector and a separate bucket under the vinyl to catch the under 1/4" to run through the sluice. Hope this made some sense to you.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Yea, they both simplify things. I am thinking about modifying the classifier by putting the 1/2" screen one one side and then a 1/4" on the other side of the 2x4 and run the stuff over 1/2" off the end since there is not a piece of gold in this area that big, and then putting a bucket at the end of the 1/4" screen and catching the stuff between 1/4" and 1/2" and then checking it out with a metal detector and a separate bucket under the vinyl to catch the under 1/4" to run through the sluice. Hope this made some sense to you.

That sounds like a good idea ..... don't forget to post photos when it's completed :icon_thumright:

Here are photos of my homemade fluid bed sluice.....

gt2.jpg gt8.jpg screen.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics

How does it do? Do you think it is any better than a standard normal sluice? Here are a few pics of the cheapy home made highbanker i just finished. What did you use to funnel the water in?

Attachments

• IM001482.JPG
    IM001482.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 521
  • IM001483.JPG
    IM001483.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 776
  • IM001484.JPG
    IM001484.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 612

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does it do? Do you think it is any better than a standard normal sluice? Here are a few pics of the cheapy home made highbanker i just finished. What did you use to funnel the water in?

It's better in some ways but I still use my modified Keene A-52 on my highbanker and trommel and 2" dredge.
I kind of over engineered the intake. Those are funnels I bought in the automotive department at Wal-mart. Really all that is needed is a cover over the bottom same as bazooka uses. I was out of aluminum at the time and made do.

Great job on the Highbanker!

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Looks good. Always nice to see what others come up with. Especially others that know what they are doing.:laughing7:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rebel.......

I just went to the X Grumpy Prospector site..... That is a different animal than the bazooka fluid bed trap and what I posted.

It uses the gate system similar to the Gold Cube. I would worry that if the water goes through too fast that it would blow the gold out.
The gate system needs a controlled water speed to opperate effeciently. Too slow and material will back up, too fast and you loose your fine gold.

GG~

Last edited:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG does your sluice work as good as it looks? It really is a beauty. About how much water is optimum- 1/2", 3/4" ?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG does your sluice work as good as it looks? It really is a beauty. About how much water is optimum- 1/2", 3/4" ?

If you are talking about water over the top surface I usually try to get around 1" or so.
I am very happy with the performance and the only changes I am considering are the addition of an extended flair and a hinging bottom cover with sides so I could adjust the lower opening to allow a greater volume of water underneath in case of a slow moving water situation. In fast water it works great just the way it is.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG, you ever think about build some of them to sell? And yea, the Under Flow is different than the Bazooka. I am thinking now that seeing the Bazooka type in action that it may be better for the small flour gold we have around here? Right now i am working on a standard sluice build. Just bought a sheet of 5052 .063 aluminum and had the side bent up on it. Now to put in some ribbed ribber matting and find someone to build a back angle riffle bar set up for it like Figure 11 in this Sluice building file. Start with (2) 3/4" high riffles then (2) 5/8" and then (2) 1/2" and finally (2) 3/8" to maintain the water flow as stated in the file. What you think? Feasible?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread