Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I set up this homemade concentrator using Angus MacKirk sluices the mini-long Tom and the Grub Steak.
I hooked up a 300 gph sump pump, sort of anemic and a 600 gph pond pump. I want to ask people to see if they think the water flow is correct for the size of the sluices or too much flow when using both pumps or about right later in the video with just the 600 gph

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nice set up ben, im still pretty new at this too but i do think that it work better with the two pumps hooked up. with the single pump looks like its washing out the fine gold but we will se when the real pro's start to chime in.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
last evening I took 4 pieces of gold, being new I would call them flakes but I guess people would call them fines - they were so small I couldn't pick them up with very sharp tweezers I had to use my finger. I could see them with the naked eye so they are not micro or flour gold.
anyhow
I put 2 in a scoup of river gravel/sand going into each sluice along with some small lead flakes. I then ran them through each sluice. after running a couple more scoups I then panned out the concentrate. I was nervous because I was risking GOLD! Who cares if lead is lost, but gold...

When I panned out the cons, there were both pieces of gold! the lead was there also. In further practice I kept trying to use smaller and smaller pieces of lead, I will be playing with it this weekend again and will try to post pics of the size of the gold and lead. On one run I had a very small piece of lead and I couldn't find it afterwards, so wonder if flour gold would be lost?

I do know that with the gravel I feed in can start to clog the riffles depending on how much flow there is. How do you determine the proper flow?

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Remember...if you are ever nervous *Classify* Gold will always win a spot at a riffle when sized to match its oponent. Imagine a styrofoam ball the size of a house in the wind pushing a bowling ball around. That styrofoam of equal size would never push the bowling ball. Another good and simple visual test. If your sluice is trapping blond sand it is trapping gold if there is of course gold in your concentrate. One last thing, lead is lighter than gold. If you are trapping buckshot, your sluice is trapping buckshot sized gold. If your lead is ground to dust, and your sluice traps that, it will trap the small gold. Just experiment with it and dont worry about losing gold in a closed system like yours. You can always run it again. Congrats on a nice build :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread