Bazooka Vs Drop riffle ?

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
A bazooka with a 4 (a 6 or even 8 is even better if the majority of your gold is fine) mesh screen zip tied on the edges over the stock grizzly will do what you want and then some. Great production that will blow away a drop riffle and leave your back sore from moving so much material. I got a new video coming up showing mine in use with some chunky gold sitting on the slick area and some great gold recovered using my above mentioned method.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Bazooka is a damn fine sluice. :)

I tried out a Keene A52 today to get a feel for both and I am going to have to say that I will always keep the bazooka.
Not quite what you were asking but figured I would share a little.

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two Angus sluice boxes, the Grub Steak and the Au Trap (now the boss). They were both very good, cought very fine gold and held the pickers in the first riffle every time. The thing I hated most was classifying. I spent at least half of my river time doing the shake. I decided to go with the Bazooka and I dont regreat my decision at all. I ended up selling the Angus sluice boxes, not because I didn't want them anymore, but because I moved into a smaller places and I had to choose which sluice box I wanted to keep. The Bazooka will hold some tiny gold, the downside it that it needs some FAST water to opperate properly. I recently bought a Top Runner II sluice that I use for slower water. It's a decent sluice... I dunno, it could be better I guess, I was hoping for more to be honest.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply JT. I have been looking at the TR II as well. What is it about it that you think needs improving? I was thinking abut building one of them. Looks like it should work but i don't know if it would be any better than one of the Pop And Son styles. What you think?

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the first drop of the TR II, immediately after the first punch plate, material builds up and it doesnt seem to wash out. The second thing I noticed; even though there is a 3/8 in punch at the end of the sluice, I didn't find any material left in my cons that were even close to that size(I havent decided if thats a bad thing yet) and only a very little material that was 1/4in.

The construction of the box is much better than anything I can do but I was a little disapointed to see silicone was used to seal some areas where the flair and the riffles meet.

In the end it held on to some fine gold, can't be fore sure if it lost any pickers but was a bit discouraged to see that wasnt much material larger than 1/4 in the cons.

With my Bazooka I feel comfortable setting it up one time for the day, running as much material as I would like to and do just one clean out. Unfortunately, I cant say the same for the TR II. Not trying to bash the TR, just giving my impression. Maybe as I use it more that will change.

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about build one with a 1/4" opening across the bottom of the water feed ramp to let water flow get to the bottom as well as up top. Not sure if it would help or not. Idea sounds good any way.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
062+1.jpg You should take a look at the Orginal Top Runner, it definatly catches all the heavies. I set the Orginal Top Runner and the and the Bazooka side by side, and alternate shoveling between them. As one clears I can load the other one. The Orginal Top Runner is more efficient than the Top Runner II. You have to empty the orginal after three or four 5 gallon buckets, and in my area I get about 50-60 pounds of concentrates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any problem with the bottom loading up from lack of water flow on the TR? Also, how about the holes in the PVC water pipes clogging up on the Bazooka? If they clog how hard is it to get to them to clean them out?

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The TR and the prospector sized BGT do better with medium-fast to fast current. So I don't really have any problems with the bottom loading up, but if I wanted to go with a slower water flow, I would switch to the 1/4" classifying screen and feed it slower. I've never had the PVC pipes clog at all on the BGT, all the material gets fed on the top deck.

Do you have any problem with the bottom loading up from lack of water flow on the TR? Also, how about the holes in the PVC water pipes clogging up on the Bazooka? If they clog how hard is it to get to them to clean them out?

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. What i was wondering about though on the BGT is if the holes plug up from any silts or debis coming down stream entering the bottom section where the pipes are

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. What i was wondering about though on the BGT is if the holes plug up from any silts or debis coming down stream entering the bottom section where the pipes are

I havent run into that problem with my Bazooka and i've used it many MANY times. I've heard of people putting screens at the opening of the inlet to stop leaves, however. If you're looking at all the options of classifying sluices, don't forget about the Calsluice #2B. It looks like a great box. It's heavy and cost quite a few bucks but it's durability is in a different realm. It's extremely strong. I met the owner and inventor of the box at East Fork, he is a great guy. The folks he was hangin with were a different story. They were quick to bash anything they didnt use and were very condescending. Anyway, take a look there as well, it's a great box.

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the Calsluice. Seems to me that after the big rocks and stuff leave the classifier section they fall right down on the remaining riffles and could knock loose any gold you might have caught there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread