East Fork Sluicing Tomorrow 10/4 Anyone wants to join me..

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Going to hit east fork tomorrow ,thursday, 4th.. not going to humb for days.. park my car past the picnic area, toward the end and take my gear down a few hundred yards.. not gonna go crazy. Esp if im solo... Bears still lurking there.

Do you guys "pack" a little "piece" up there. I know this is a iffy topic, but curious, if you do for the animals, or the strange people.. or both! LOL. anyay, have not had really any luck there. So hoping to find a little color. Well see.

Scott

[email protected]

shovel-humper

Sep 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy,

I might go. I know many ppl who have/do carry.. Remember Brown signed a law making it illegal to carry a pistol, and now a rifle too. If you carry, you are now doing so illegally unless you r a CCW or have a hunting license. If you have mining gear you might have be hanging a target on your beck as far as the rangers go. I am all for good ppl being armed. Don't think for a second I'm anti-gunner. I just throw my caution in since some folks get hassled by the ranger more than the tweekers or bears. There has been a bear lingering around Heaton Flats this year. My buddy says 'Smith & Wesson have got all the nasties I can see, and Jesus Christ has got the ones I can't see!' and that pretty much covers it for me :) I have a liitle info in this thread with San Gabriel stuuf: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/314526-underwater-videos-ca-sluice-box-cajon-creek.html There's a pic of nuggets from up there.

YMMV.

All the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Good advice... Well hope to see you there... Not gonna go too far.. maybe 100-500 yardsd past the last parking area.. Not the LAST parking area up the hill. I mean just past past the picnic area parking area. (there are some bathrooms on the river side, just past that) I will be there around 8am or so... have a black pick up chevy.. Hope to see some peeps!

Scott.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking as a CCW carrier here in Colorado and a former resident of CA I'll say this, what they don't see they don't know. When I lived in CA I carried all the time. I figured that the trouble that I would have after shooting a criminal was nothing compared to getting shot and dying. But today you many less lethal options, like the large 1 pound size spray can of OC(pepper spray). You can get the ones made for bears and it comes with a drop holster that straps to your leg. Trust me, these work. I'm a Correctional Officer, and I've used the 1 pound Fox OC to clear 150 inmates out of a chow hall before, several times. Also I know for a fact that a Taser will work on bears, I've seen the video. Tasers are around $300. Hopefully one of those options are still legal in the political insane asylum that CA has turned into.

Oct 4, 2012
NEEDLES, CA
Detector(s) used
GOLD BUG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I copy that hear in Calif. Im a retired Dep. Sheriff , I rather be alive and have only my side to tell than be dead and them tell theirs. Just be smart!!

shovel-humper

Sep 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also point out that while in your tent, the law considers you in a domicile, and it is legal to have a gun in your tent. This is what I have been told, and read many times. My understanding is that there is now no legal way to get it to or from your tent short of the two methods I noted above. Im not a lawyer, you need to research it for yourself to be sure. I believe that if you are responsible with your carry/handling, and you are courteous to the 'officials', and of course if you never use it.. you'll be fine =) I think that prolly goes without saying. I also believe that without the sheep-dogs in society the sheep would be screwed! So I commend anyone who steps up as a sheep-dog, even if the sheep are too stupid to realize their sacrifice. There is a three "S's" rule were we live and it applies mostly to feral dogs, coyotes and varmints: shoot 'em, shovel 'em, shut-up about 'em.. I guess the last is the most pertinent here =) I'd agree with the two above. The bear OC is wicked nasty, Turner's has the big boy described above, not sure if had the holster tho??

Regards.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i guess you could pack your gun inside your tent at home then just leave it in there and keep it really close. lol

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i guess you could pack your gun inside your tent at home then just leave it in there and keep it really close. lol

Thats what I was thinking but they would probably say that it becomes cargo once not set up as a tent.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
nuggetshooter323 said:
Speaking as a CCW carrier here in Colorado and a former resident of CA I'll say this, what they don't see they don't know. When I lived in CA I carried all the time. I figured that the trouble that I would have after shooting a criminal was nothing compared to getting shot and dying. But today you many less lethal options, like the large 1 pound size spray can of OC(pepper spray). You can get the ones made for bears and it comes with a drop holster that straps to your leg. Trust me, these work. I'm a Correctional Officer, and I've used the 1 pound Fox OC to clear 150 inmates out of a chow hall before, several times. Also I know for a fact that a Taser will work on bears, I've seen the video. Tasers are around $300. Hopefully one of those options are still legal in the political insane asylum that CA has turned into.

Thanks nugget shooter.. Sounds like a plan. Took with me yesterday, forgot I even had it on me, lol. What made you move from CA to CO?

Be well..

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to have to pick up a couple cans for sure, I always feel like something is watching me when my head is underwater.

What is the strongest, largest dose of bear spray?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still legal to open carry in Ca so long as your hunting or fishing( put a small/cheap fishing outfit in your prospecting day pack) so long as your intent is obvious and you are outside most city jurisdictions.

shovel-humper

Sep 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the % is all that big of a deal.. I've 'smelled' the cheap ones (4% I think), trust me.. it let me know it was working!! =O

K, so since I'm thinking about it.. here's one of my camping/backpacking 'secrets'.. I visit my local ethnic market and buy bulk ground chili powders. I mix a cpl different types (hot) and pack it in with me. Once I set camp up I distribute a perimeter around camp and around my food. Bears are proven to have an incredible sense of smell and in some cases have been reported to be able to smell yummies miles away. I don't think our bears down here are all that keen, but just the same, Id like to think my perimeter will serve as a constant deterrent ala OC sprays. I've lost my share to the raccoons that raid in the night and now give a heavy dusting to my food gear. If it rains or the area is too damp you might have to re-apply more often. Ohh, and a small can of raid is nice too for the ants.

So thinking about it.. maybe an orange (so obviously not a real gun) super-soaker filled with a vinegar/water/chili powder solution or ammonia/piss/water/chili powder solution. Filter the 'juice' before loading it up and you should be able to hit targets at 15+ feet. Just thinking out loud here.

Regards.

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm from the SF Bay Area, and the wife and I had been looking to move for a while. My wife's company left CA and moved to CO. And since I'm in law enforcement, I can get a job almost anywhere so we jumped at the chance. They paid everything, and then some. So now I live within an hour of great hunting, fishing, prospecting, and I live in a county that is populated with people that hate taxes. :headbang:

Thanks nugget shooter.. Sounds like a plan. Took with me yesterday, forgot I even had it on me, lol. What made you move from CA to CO?

Be well..

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
swing hard said:
Still legal to open carry in Ca so long as your hunting or fishing( put a small/cheap fishing outfit in your prospecting day pack) so long as your intent is obvious and you are outside most city jurisdictions.

For real?

How does fishing have anything to do with guns? Well if his true, this could be my loop hole. Very cool! Thanks

shovel-humper

Sep 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that with a hunting lic. you can carry a pistol concealed in some circumstances (must ask someone who is more informed than I) and a long gun open. I know nothing of the fishing part. Now as far as SGM's go.. I think any visible sign of a gun (these days) is asking for a meet-and-greet. I personally wish not to have that chat or be e-checked.. or whatever the h3ll they call it. Having said that, I would again assert that my reservations, personally, pertain mostly to So. Cali. I would rather error on caution. But yes, get a hunting lic. and remember what you are hunting (ie. squirrels, raccoons, rabbits) preferably something with no season and no bag limit or tags. Id go to Wally World and pick up a Cali State Hunters book, they should be in season now and are free. They'll lay down the laws (I think Im talking to myself here too) and will be up-to-date without the hearsay that I or someone else might give out. If you can take your hunters safety course somewhere run by off-duty LEO you can probably ask a lot of these questions discretely and get MUCH better answers. I know LEO's in the house.. anyone wanna correct me here? Fish & Game.. anyone?

I still think the bear fogger is a good call by nuggetshooter. Not as sexy as a Glock but very cost effective, and reliable. Plus, if you had to shoot, either a two or four legger, there will be paperwork and lots of scrutiny. With OC the problem will likely cry itself out rather than bleed itself out so there will be no mess to clean up afterwords =)

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another option: A can of bear spray attached to one hip( bears, mountain lions and dirt bags) and a .22 cal air pistol holstered on the other(feral dogs, coyotes and dirt bags). Air guns are generally not classified as firearms and thus exempt from most restrictions, so if you would like to avoid the issues involving firearms yet still feel like your protecting yourself while prospecting so-cal areas, its another way to go. . Two good air pistol choices: Crossman #2240 Air Pistol .22cal CO2 ($62.99 Midway USA) or Benjamin Air Pistol .22cal. CO2($113.99 Midway USA) These newer modern air guns are much more powerful than the ones of the past,( although for myself, nothing less than a Super Redhawk will do) Hope this helps and good luck out there...Rob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions