Looking for "High Production Sluice Box"

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
I'm looking for "High Production" sluice boxes. Basically a sluice box that can process a large amount of dirt FAST with minimal classifying. I'm looking for a sluice box that can handle shovel loads of sand about every minute. I have pretty good moving water most of the year.....

I have the the Keene A52, which is great, but looking to see what other sluice boxes are out there.
I've done some homework on the Bazooka Gold Trap - Miner. That $300 price tag not looking so bad...

Besides these (2) sluice boxes, what other sluice box can handle lots of dirt?

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think if you search for sluice screens, you'll find some places that sell precut perf that fits the sluice.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
The Rocky Mountain by Angus MacKirk is supposed to be able to move a LOT of material for around $160. I have never tried it. been looking & thinking though...

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
do a google search for "top runner 2" sluice box. hes got videos out on several websites but just goggle it and it should pop up. its a very reasonably price sluice. yes you can shvel right into it and itll do the classification for you.the man that makes these is Andy Schure from Omaha, Nebraska and i think he has a video on this site aswell! i think youll really like this sluice once you see it run and then see the price!!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you buy a Bazooka you will be very happy that you did.

I have the miner version and it works very well, needs a lot of water but works none the less.

I bought a TeeDee E-Z Sluice to clean up the pile of cons the Bazooka Miner saves, from the E-Z its only a couple cups of cons.

Here is a video that I made that shows just how much you have left over if your water isnt fast enough, I have cut that figure down about 1/3 from that with more flow.

You also might want to look into the Le Trap sluice box.

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rocky Mountain by Angus MacKirk is supposed to be able to move a LOT of material for around $160. I have never tried it. been looking & thinking though...

Didn't know the Rocky Mountain has been released. I wonder how well it would work without a lot of classifying?
Any idea where I can more information of the "abyss" type riffles?

Added - new sluice!
" The Great Northern Canadian " - As you can tell ( at 64 x 16 x 5 ) it is meant for Hard Core Sluicing. It requires a substantial water flow and it can keep up with two miners shoveling about as fast as they can go. Lots of Production capability.

It is a two piece sluice that Bolts together and as many sections as desired can be added to make a serious Long Tom. (Each additional section is 34 inches a.o.l.).

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't have jet dry, some simple dawn or other dishwashing soap will work as a surfactant

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
who me? Already got some. :)

When I play with, erm I mean SORT my gold I use a little drop of dawn to keep it from floating, I have had small nuggets float around on me before! ;)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked at the Caliifornia Sluice Box company's River sluice? Lightweight, uses a drop-riffle design and is about 16 or 18 inches wide so it can handle a lot of volume.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOWZA THOSE ARE PRICEY!

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do a google search for "top runner 2" sluice box. hes got videos out on several websites but just goggle it and it should pop up. its a very reasonably price sluice. yes you can shvel right into it and itll do the classification for you.the man that makes these is Andy Schure from Omaha, Nebraska and i think he has a video on this site aswell! i think youll really like this sluice once you see it run and then see the price!!

I like the Top Runner, but I don't get a warm n fuzzy feeling that the gold is caught at the end which is only about 12" long? Even though, most of time gold is caught in the first section of a sluice box.... I wonder if there is enough water action in the bottom section that allows enough movement for the heavies to make it to the bottom?
If I'm not mistaken, the Top Runner sells for around $300.00?

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy a Bazooka you will be very happy that you did.

I have the miner version and it works very well, needs a lot of water but works none the less.

I bought a TeeDee E-Z Sluice to clean up the pile of cons the Bazooka Miner saves, from the E-Z its only a couple cups of cons.

Here is a video that I made that shows just how much you have left over if your water isnt fast enough, I have cut that figure down about 1/3 from that with more flow.

You also might want to look into the Le Trap sluice box.

Did you buy your Bazooka straight from the manufacturer? Shipping is crazy expensive! I might just drive over and visit Placerville for the cost of shipping : )

Any problems with the Miner? Besides needing a lot of water?

I want a Le Trap, but I want to get a "larger" sluice first....

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underflow sluices, not sure I'd want to be the guinea pig though.

Products

I don't know much about underflow or this manufacturer, but from the video, it looks like you would definitely need to classify.... The were "spooning" what looked to be black sand only, no gravel..... I want to be able to shovel sand and gravel into the sluice : )

Plus those prices are high!

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked at the Caliifornia Sluice Box company's River sluice? Lightweight, uses a drop-riffle design and is about 16 or 18 inches wide so it can handle a lot of volume.

I have the CA River sluice. Good sluice! But its flimsy... It was hard "for me" to lay in the river flat. It would flex and be uneven at different locations on the sluice box (top to bottom / side to side). I need to reinforce that sluice or make/buy a stand to make setting up easier. Plus, for optimal performance, you'll want to classify your material before feeding it in.... If you do classify, this sluice can handle quite a bit of material.

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For now, the top sluices (in my opinion) is:
Bazooka Miner or the Super Prospector (if I can confirm its existence)
Angus MacKirk Great Northern Canadian

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joel,
So you own the CA River Sluice and know its drawbacks. I own a Keene A52, I've backpacked it in several times and know that that is Not a joy to do. Also the Keene works best if you feed it classified material so that takes more time away from actual finding gold. From the videos I've seen of the Bazooka Gold Trap there is no classifying required "as long as one has enough water flow". The larger size BGT's are meant for working a lot of material but of course in order to work a lot of material the units have a great deal of physical size to them as well as weight. I would have to assume then that the spot you want to work has relatively easy access as if not then just getting a Large Sluice in there will be a real labor intensive trek. Also a very large sluice made of plastic is going to be a lot harder to keep it safe during transport from your vehicle and over the ground that is most likely covered with boulders and such and I've found that bears like to chew on plastic. Then there are the cleanups for the BGT and the larger size units require the use of a tub as they will not fit into a 5 gallon bucket whereas the smaller BGT's will fit into a 5 gal bucket. So what am I getting at here is to throw out these thoughts to help in making a wise choice of what sluice to purchase and I am only sharing the stumbling blocks I've already gone through with my sluice: its big, its bulky, its heavy, it only goes part way into a 5 gallon bucket but not all the way to the bottom and to carry it long distances along with all my prospecting gear And the camping gear it makes for one heck of a load, usually over 85 lbs. for a two week trip. Have fun and Good Success with all your adventures and be safe..........63bkpkr

PS - I am also thinking about purchasing a BGT but something a little smaller than the prospector so it will backpack in easier

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you buy your Bazooka straight from the manufacturer? Shipping is crazy expensive! I might just drive over and visit Placerville for the cost of shipping : )

Any problems with the Miner? Besides needing a lot of water?

I want a Le Trap, but I want to get a "larger" sluice first....

I live in Northern Cali so it was not hard finding one local.
If your going down that way you might want to plan a prospecting trip around it. :)

The only problem I have a real problem with is the weight of the Miner when its time to pull her out of the water, it is such a bear to do and I am a big guy. x_x
If it had a sliding trap door on it, the design would be vastly improved.

What I have started to do (Where I can, cant always do this in some area's) is slide the sluice up onto the shore or other rocks next to it and allow the water to drain off a little, then I manhandle it up and into a bucket.

The bucket I use is a square Tidy Cat Litter bucket, the sluice has to be held at a little bit of an angle with the corner in but it beats packing down a TUB when you dont have to.

Packing the Bazooka in is not that big of a deal, I can put some of my equipment inside the underflow area and bring it down with one hand.
It can also be slung over your shoulder if you get a strap for it or made int a backpack form if you put a couple loops and straps on.

A cheap Pop riveter and drill will allow you to mod it as you need.

As for the Le Trap, that thing is just as long as the bazooka is but is a lot lighter, it is a very nice sluice.

There are a few top sluices out there and the Bazooka series and Le Trap for sure make that list. :)

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joel,
So you own the CA River Sluice and know its drawbacks. I own a Keene A52, I've backpacked it in several times and know that that is Not a joy to do. Also the Keene works best if you feed it classified material so that takes more time away from actual finding gold. From the videos I've seen of the Bazooka Gold Trap there is no classifying required "as long as one has enough water flow". The larger size BGT's are meant for working a lot of material but of course in order to work a lot of material the units have a great deal of physical size to them as well as weight. I would have to assume then that the spot you want to work has relatively easy access as if not then just getting a Large Sluice in there will be a real labor intensive trek. Also a very large sluice made of plastic is going to be a lot harder to keep it safe during transport from your vehicle and over the ground that is most likely covered with boulders and such and I've found that bears like to chew on plastic. Then there are the cleanups for the BGT and the larger size units require the use of a tub as they will not fit into a 5 gallon bucket whereas the smaller BGT's will fit into a 5 gal bucket. So what am I getting at here is to throw out these thoughts to help in making a wise choice of what sluice to purchase and I am only sharing the stumbling blocks I've already gone through with my sluice: its big, its bulky, its heavy, it only goes part way into a 5 gallon bucket but not all the way to the bottom and to carry it long distances along with all my prospecting gear And the camping gear it makes for one heck of a load, usually over 85 lbs. for a two week trip. Have fun and Good Success with all your adventures and be safe..........63bkpkr

PS - I am also thinking about purchasing a BGT but something a little smaller than the prospector so it will backpack in easier

63bkpkr,
I'm looking at the Bazooka Gold Trap Miner for one location (for now). At this location, I'm able to drive and park about 100 yards from the river. I'm actually able to bring in a wheel barrow to help carry all my equipment at this location. I'm already bringing in a large tub when I use the CA River Sluice here, makes life a lot easier... I will be using this large tub to do clean outs on the BGT too. Basically, for this location, I can bring in a large "kitchen sink" with no problems.

I'm a beginner regarding prospecting for gold, only been doing this for a little over 6 months, any help, information and suggestions is always greatly appeciated and welcomed : )

OP
OP
J

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Northern Cali so it was not hard finding one local.
If your going down that way you might want to plan a prospecting trip around it. :)

The only problem I have a real problem with is the weight of the Miner when its time to pull her out of the water, it is such a bear to do and I am a big guy. x_x
If it had a sliding trap door on it, the design would be vastly improved.

What I have started to do (Where I can, cant always do this in some area's) is slide the sluice up onto the shore or other rocks next to it and allow the water to drain off a little, then I manhandle it up and into a bucket.

The bucket I use is a square Tidy Cat Litter bucket, the sluice has to be held at a little bit of an angle with the corner in but it beats packing down a TUB when you dont have to.

Packing the Bazooka in is not that big of a deal, I can put some of my equipment inside the underflow area and bring it down with one hand.
It can also be slung over your shoulder if you get a strap for it or made int a backpack form if you put a couple loops and straps on.

A cheap Pop riveter and drill will allow you to mod it as you need.

As for the Le Trap, that thing is just as long as the bazooka is but is a lot lighter, it is a very nice sluice.

There are a few top sluices out there and the Bazooka series and Le Trap for sure make that list. :)

Thanks for your input. I'm no big guy but I have a young son who will be able to help me lift the Miner out of the water.

Did you buy the BGT locallaly? Which shop carries the BGT? I'm in Northern California, East Bay and willing to drive just about anywhere to find gold or the tools that I would need....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread