Plans for a homemade mini-sluice

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I kind of did the same thing with some scrap hanging around the garage. The only thing I bought to complete it was a piece of heating duct sheet metal and bent it into a sluice. I glued a 12" wide by 48" long strip black matting to the bottom, and used scrap wood strips and some caulk to make it stiff, then some spray paint on the bottom. I made it thinking that I would use it in slow to medium water to finish off cons, or at the back end of my Keenes to make sure I got the fine gold that I knew was blowing out the back. DSC01555 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice work nugget shooter, that would catch pretty much everything at some spots in CO.

Mine it and recycle it!

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ducting is flimsy and hard to keep flat.

I'd shy away from purchasing it, but if you have some scrap duct it will work best if you stiffen up with a 2nd piece or board underneath

Your local scrapyard will have something much better if you don't already have the duct - stick with aluminum as it is stronger and lighter than steel and will last far longer.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, I built one out of ducting sheet metal and used epoxy to glue reinforcing strips to the underside to get the needed rigidity. You need a real rigid base for sure!

Mine it and recycle it!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With the wood strips Gorrilla glued to the sides, the strips going across the top and the handle down the middle, there is no flex what so ever in this thing. It was a scap project, the only two things I bought for it was the sheet metal and the caulk. I already had the ribbed matting laying around, I was just trying to think of something cheap, quick and easy that I could use with any sluice or by itself. Thanks Kevin, I think that it has enough black mat to catch almost all the fines, but it will never win any beauty contests and look as good as Astrobouncer's projects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread