Hello everyone! wooden sluice question!

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope everyone's trips lately have panned out!

I still consider myself new to the gold panning game, 2 years into it, and I find I enjoy modifying equipment, and making tools just about as much as I like using them.
I am working on a 4 foot wooden sluice. But im curious should the base where the material flows over be sanded?
also, The rivers and creeks i typically work in, are potable water sources, so I don't want to coat it in polyurethain, or any other crazy strong water resistant chemicals.
Is there any natural water proofing products? I don't care about it getting water logged or becoming heavy.
It's going to have extra framing across the top, to resist warping (hopefully) lots of extra, screws, and every other kinda way I can keep it held together.
any other suggestions to resist warping?

Thank you in advance guys!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a problem with warping and never coated the wood. It doesn't need to be sanded, heck just some pine works fine.

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never had a problem with warping and never coated the wood. It doesn't need to be sanded, heck just some pine works fine.

I did not know that. I'm planning on building a bazooka and was wondering about using wood. Not sure I feel like tackling the sheet metal version, and the plexiglass is just too expensive. So was thinking wood. I was worrying over what to coat it with. Glad I don't have to. And no warping? Sweet.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did not know that. I'm planning on building a bazooka and was wondering about using wood. Not sure I feel like tackling the sheet metal version, and the plexiglass is just too expensive. So was thinking wood. I was worrying over what to coat it with. Glad I don't have to. And no warping? Sweet.

I am thinking about doing the same thing with a bunch of 1/4 inch plywood I have left over from a boat I made. I am planning on coating the whole thing with a coat if fiberglass epoxy resin. I may go ahead and use the cloth on the seems as well. May be a little overkill Idk?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a real bazooka in person.... But almost everyone of the homemade versions I've seen have been made out of wood :icon_thumleft:
Don't really know what the store bought ones are made out of :dontknow:

GG~

Last edited:

bigjoek

Feb 2, 2013
I made my wood sluice oit of pine, no swelling. I just cut basic drop riffle. Worked awesome on fine gold

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen people that used spray on bedliner, or cans of rubberized sealant. I used some Rust-Oleum Leak Seal flexible rubber coating to fix a leak in a old 2 inch lay flat hose and is has worked well so far...

RustOleum.com
[h=3]Google[/h]

Rust-Oleum LeakSeal Flexible Rubber Coating
$9.47
- WalmartFree shipping on eligible $45+ order
Rust‑Oleum LeakSeal Fle...
$9.47

Walmart

Rust Oleum Leak Seal ‑ Fl...
$10.95

eBay

Rust Oleum Leak Seal Fle...
$8.99

L&M Fleet Su...
wAWimT8r7qXmlp0ahUk6pI9MVpFJO2DyMLEpCnvywwMZ4716NcsW6WnDk1ymHy7vTLaWsjRvCZIUcxybd8ZZdxR9pK7l7cE9q1RZ5t66lktWUKBQKBQUIohgXnHKVt1YAsRcR8L3Ppccf6496rZ0pPMIsh16ynURyBTvXs6Y4JK5yBkHIPPFZrVr

2 Pack Rust‑oleum 2...
$24.99

eBay

Rust‑Oleum 265494 12‑O...
$26.73

Sears
h7Jqh0qLpoDUzIg5ZhtIb2Wz2vv69sXWV0Rdt+4y0WXVEaFWhkaUK

$59.99

eBay
cHvhTRsWVpUiUVdXTIiyGNdDW02RT3W42NtreXvOB232F9Rki

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never seen a real bazooka in person.... But almost everyone of the homemade versions I've seen have been made out of wood :icon_thumleft:
Don't really know what the store bought ones are made out of :dontknow:

GG~

GG, I've been using your sheet metal bazooka as a guide. I appreciate that. Would like to use metal but have never worked with it before. So I'll go with wood. Have you liked the flat design you used? I do think it's a better idea than the slope of the commercial version. I was also thinking of using truck bed liner to cover it, but will try it raw wood first. Seems every one has worked that way.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG, I've been using your sheet metal bazooka as a guide. I appreciate that. Would like to use metal but have never worked with it before. So I'll go with wood. Have you liked the flat design you used? I do think it's a better idea than the slope of the commercial version. I was also thinking of using truck bed liner to cover it, but will try it raw wood first. Seems every one has worked that way.

The flat design works excellent! Actually the original patent idea that the bazooka was taken from was a flat design: Patent US5476177 - Sluice trap - Google Patents

My version is somewhat different but I'm confident that it's more effecient than either the original or the bazooka style.

I know what you mean about not being comfortable about working with sheet metal as I've always worked with wood myself. I've since found that having the right tools makes working with aluminum really easy.

A 30" sheet metal brake, a table saw with a tungston tipped blade, drill, and a pop rivet tool, and you're in business!

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
WildWill

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the info guys! and for the bazooka info as well, that'll be the next project me thinks.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Bazooka brand is made of ABS plastics...so it is quite light weight but still durable although nowhere near as durable as GoodyGuy's!

OP
OP
WildWill

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahh I would love to be able to work with abs, or sheet metal. I just started using wood, literally never done any type of carpentry work, I just know that its measure once, cut twice ;) lol

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WW I've been a carpenter for over 40 yrs. Water proofing/sealing all 6 sides of every piece is just second nature. Spar varnish and silicone caulking ,It'll last as long as a boat

OP
OP
WildWill

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome rod, I appreciate the information. Its quite a fun experience. I don't know about stains or varnishs, would you mind explaining the process as well as types of stains you use? kinda alot to ask, but as I mentioned this is all new to me.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to stain. Just use spar varnish. 2 coats ,follow the instructions on the can. Spar varnish is what has been used for centuries by boat builders. Good luck

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chemical in the paint will evaporate in the process so I wouldn't worry about ground water contamination from such a small source. If you like making these things you're going to want to tweak the design/make a better one. So find the design that works best for the type of gold you're getting before spending money on making it bomb proof. Personally a can of $3 Walmart gloss black will go a long way and will make the gold easier to see.

OP
OP
WildWill

WildWill

Feb 8, 2013
Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More things to consider, thank you both. The gold im getting is a pretty good mix of plinkers, fine and everything Inbetween

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread