Prospecting

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to with my next build so I'm having some :happy1: while I wait for others to chime in.

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Pueblo CO and Pensacola FL
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro 6X10 DD and 4X6 DD coils and coil covers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought mat and have sluice material already bent up.
Now i am welding up some aluminum brackets for 3/4 inch tube to be adjustable for legs.
Just need to know how long to make legs.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Taking the Razorback mat with me to a spot in Arizona i hit last year. I wasn't happy with how often i had to pull the sluice and clean it out. Riffles would fill with black sand from just ten gallons of dirt. Funnel the water into the sluice and increase the flow.. and everything blew right out the end of the sluice into the safety pan. Got so aggravated, i ended up just panning instead of using a sluice. I'll let you know how the new mat works in about two weeks.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gold hog mat and sluice material i want to put together tomorrow.
Does anyone have any tip for this mat.
I have UR Scrubber and Razorback.
What are you guys using.

I hear that alternating it down the sluice is good, starting and ending with the UR Scrubber.
And dont be afraid to increase the flow and sluice angle. Also until you have it properly adjusted make sure that you sluice into a safety tub if using a highbanker.

Here is a good video on fine tuning.......

GG~

Last edited:

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My plan was to buy some of Doc's mat. I have been wanting to for sometime and have watched all his vids. But it's going to have to wait for a bit. Just spent me funds on a MXT. Gotta start saving all over.

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
I bough the Razzorback and Scrubber for my Keene a51a. I'm using 3 sections of the Razzorback with 1 section of Scrubber. I did a little bit of testing with a little bit of cons and it seems to be working great so far. I'll be doing a thorough cleaning of the tailings later today to see if anything got through.

Also, I'll be heading out tomorrow for 3 days to run a bunch-o-buckets through it. I'll be sure to report back on Monday. Hopefully it works good!

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ran into a guy this last weekend on the stream bank from Utah, Mike showed me his homemade highbanker and it had a 14 inch bed with Gold hog matting. Once you have seen the matting in person you instantly become a believer. I will be ordering some for sluice build #2. Good stuff and its not the stuff your grandfather used, This is the stuff you use to pull the gold that your grandfathers methods missed. Good luck!

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I too have seen the benefits of this mat and have ordered the Razorback matting for my "Gold Buddy Highbacker Recirculating Mini Sluice" it's 8"x 24".... I'm hoping the Razorback will do the job and not have to run the Scrubber matting up top. when i get it set up i will leave a report.
Joe

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make an extension so you can run some scrubber.
I am new but in my research and talkigt with them you need 20 percent scrubber and 75 percent razorback.
Do a little research and you will find that razor by itself is not the way to go.
I am using also some of there UR.
Go by what is working in your part of the country and wht you have for water volume exc.

I know with what i found out about Razorback is getting your water FAST and shallow is the key.

You want liquefaction as soon as possible /Need to be at the front of the flair and feed it quick but after that do not over feed or under feed.

From what we observed the parting-angle is one of the elements that determines how long a sluice needs to be. For an 8-inch wide sluice, as mentioned earlier, you need at least 16-inches of slick plate area to permit complete stratification of materials. For a 10- inch sluice this area needs to be at least 21-inches long and for a 12-inch wide box the slick plate needs to be a minimum of 26-inches in length otherwise stratification will be incomplete by the time the gravel load hits the capture area. Of course longer lengths are preferred especially if you’re feeding raw bench-run materials but our tests indicate that these lengths work very well with 2-mesh and finer source gravels.

Starting point meaning where to start the mat?
You'll have to play with the flow rate.
Best guess is about 200 - 300 GPH per inch.
If you see air pockets behind scrubber, increase water volume / depth.
If you have see "rooster tailing" behind your scrubber, you need water a bit deeper.*
Hard to explain. Once you see it you'll understand.*
So TALLER water will stop that. 8400 -12,600 for a 4' 6" mat.

These are just some of my note's i shared with you.
Hope this helps.*

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
GTXKID
Thanks for all that info as it will come in handy.... I hate to spend another $50 for a little 6" x 8" piece and this is being used with a backyard recirculating sluice with a water fed grizzly up top for stratification.... can you think of anything else like say a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that can be used up top for the first 20% or do you think having the grizzly up top might be enough?
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 721
OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just go by some sheet metal shops .
It is not 50 bucks.
Probably 10 or 20.
I am sure if you look around you can find something.
A piece of sighnabond from a sign shop scrap would work.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Just go by some sheet metal shops .
It is not 50 bucks.
Probably 10 or 20.
I am sure if you look around you can find something.
A piece of sighnabond from a sign shop scrap would work.

Perfect..... Thanks

OP
OP
G

gtxkid

Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even thow i am new i would suggest looking at a Gold Cube and Blue bowl.
I have learned a lot and this i know for sure, they work good and can take gold Cube out in the desert with you.
Just think, you could go threw 18 5 gal buckets of material a day out there with little water and bring the concentrates home with you to
process.
Get with a club like GPAA and go out with someone to use a gold Cube.
My friend has mine running today, there great.
PLUS YOU GET GOLD.

Fists full of gold book had this in it on sluice.
1:Proper box flow and water flow
2: Gold holding Mattings I like Gold Hog And the Vortex that is used in gold cube.
3: expanded Metal; does not seam to be used very much anymore i notice.
4: Material Sizing and undercurrent sluicing; i like guys using the sluice as a high banker with a gold cube under it.
5:Feed Rate's.
6: Damper's
7: Settling plate's????
8:Flared sluice dredging for suction dredge systems.
9:Flared Sluice box's

Last edited:

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We installed the new gold hog matting yesterday. We installed it into the Highbanker and ran all of the concentrates we had and everything else we had left over from all of our trips. We set it up with a letrap sluice below it and put the material through just as fast as we could. After running everything through and panning it out there were only two flakes of micron gold in the entire letrap. Out of the letrap was about a half a pan of black sands and out of the gold hog matting was maybe five or six table spoon fulls of black sands and maybe one tablespoon of light gravel less than 1/4 inch . We set up our matting with one piece of UR mat, three Razorback, and two more UR. Each are six inches in length and were pretty easy to put together after watching the video on the website. I'm sold. If I'm not running in heavy gravel I will be running the matting and I will be making a mat that is meant for heavy gravel. Just my two cents and a minor review. Cost for two thirty six inch lengths of mat to be cut into six ten inch sections...... $90. easy cleanup and peace of mind for gold recovery, priceless.

Last edited:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got mine going too with a RB mat......my sluice is only 7.5"x24" w/ 2000gph pump and while i haven't gotten over the gold yet i put 10 micro size pieces of lead in about a third of a five gallon pail of concentrate classified down to 1/4" and almost everytime i recover all 10 micro pieces (smaller than birdshot)...... my final cons from the mat is considerably less than the expanded metal/rug setup...... I am super sold on this gold hog mat.
If anybody had a 7.5" piece of Gold Hog UR Mat and would like to trade it for a 7.5" piece of Gold Hog Razorback mat i would be there :)
or if someone would like to sell a 7.5" piece of UR Mat that would work too.....
Cleanup is so fast now....I love it.
Joe

Riot

Apr 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a A52 with Razorback matting and Gold Hog's sluice stand. I really like the stand it find it easy to adjust. First time using the mat was out at GPAA's Nancy's gold claim. I was able to set up the sluice very quickly because of the stand and location being so ideal. Here is a link to a video I took while there.
The matting really likes very fast water speed and if you do not have the right speed the matting doesn't seem to work as well as it should. I was having difficulty yesterday setting up the sluice right at Mineral bar because of constantly changing water level due to the wind and there being no good place to set up correctly. Plan to work the ~2 cups of cons I have here in a little bit. I know I was in a pretty good spot because every test pan was showing several colors.
I am really curious about getting a couple of bilge pumps to help make sure I am getting the right amount water and flow when conditions arent ideal. Just dont know what the legalities of "power sluicing" while the sluice is in the water.

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Well. I ran a bunch of buckets (30 5 gal.) through an a51a sluice with RB and one section of scrubber. I used 2 1200 gph pumps and set the and to about 1.5"/ft. I was backpacking so no, I didn't test the tailings, but so far in a little light cleaning I've found a little -50 specks and another speck that is attached to a -20 piece or iron. I have yet to go through the +20 or -100. The mats seemed to work but I think we just weren't on the gold that weekend.

image-159840166.jpg

Last edited:

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Finally got the time to finish cleaning. Nothing more at +20 or -20 but there was about 5 specks of -100 flour. It does tell me that the matting is catching -100 gold though. So, even though we didn't get much we know it works. Time to plan another trip out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions