Gold cube

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It totally rocks...but as a newbie I would honestly suggest you stick with a sluice for a while. At least until you are sure you can pick out the right places to dig. Keep your $$$ until then. Its also less to drag around which is important, you dont want to wear out your family! When the time comes, go for it tho because it really is great. I would recommend the 3 stack model and get the topper if you can afford it (could also add that later) so you don't have to worry about it losing nuggets and so you don't have to classify.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You bet! Wish I was closer so I could help more...I am in Colorado tho.

I should mention that I'm friends with the co-inventor of the gold cube (Red Wilcox), he's a great guy!

...oh, and go to bed, it's past both of our bedtimes! Good luck with the hunt!!!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another goldfarb,no better or worse than a half dozen others throughout the years. Stick to a sluice-no pump,less hastles,much easier to run,ez to haul anywhere at anytime ,classify and good to go as anything else at 1/6 the price-John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "wish you luck everyone"! Congrats on the new unit...............63bkpkr

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled this out of 12 buckets (5 gallons) of dirt using the GOLD CUBE from an area that was "played out" in the 1900s m had been mined since the 1860s. I wasnt sure about the gold cube until i used it, Its small DURABLE, you can recycle your water so if you are out in the desert like me with no water, you are set!! Connect your battery to a solar panel.

37052_10200469001879531_700577839_n.jpg

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold Cube works like a charm. I panned all the concentrates that it spit out and there was 0 gold in the pan. It recovers very nicely. I am very impressed with this goldfarb. Not a bunch of pieces or parts, and it all fits into a plastic tub which you can use as a basin to recycle your water. It takes about 10 gallons of water to set it up in the middle of the desert and get started. It takes 2 minutes to set up.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy homestead-hunter,

I believe you indicated that amount of gold came from twelve 5 gallon buckets of dirt. I assume those buckets were not full to the top. You also indicated that this area was listed as "played out". Any miner back in the 1800 - 1900 that had been getting much better gold per 5 gallon bucket (which they did not have back then) would have walked away from the site at the prices for gold back then.

I would say it is an OK amount as they are nice looking pieces and could be used for Jewelry making and therefore will fetch an above average price. However, I suggest you weigh the material and calculate the value of it at today's spot price and then calculate your $ per hour wage. This will give you a better feeling about if it is a good amount per twelve buckets.

Part of prospecting is the adventure and understanding/accepting how much it costs to bring about that adventure. Another part of prospecting is searching for a better paystreak and to do that at times it takes research to understand what was done in the area you are working and I mean reading old records about gold production, old books on the area and even a collection of old letters from the mine fields that talk about daily life.

Best of luck with your prospecting.......................63bkpkr

Apr 17, 2013
Homestead hunter, I'm mad at you!! JFK but seriously, that's way more gold than we've ever gotten! And they look way bigger. We get like salt grain sized specks. I'm impressed---and frustrated by our efforts. :/

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see from another thread you've got some good cons coming soon. You guys can give the Cube a proper workout.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread