First Sluice .. choices choices choices

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On a typical day how many 5gal buckets do you run?

I classify down to -8, and fill four 5 gallon buckets half way. I take the buckets home and classify again to -30. All is run thru my finishing sluice and result is always pretty good. I would rather classify to -8 and run thru a recirculating gold cube, but haven't been able to afford the cube yet.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

No buckets involved in my op at all. With my bazooka Goldtrap I can just shovel right in!

When I do use a bucket (longer distances from honey hole to sluice), I always fill two at a time. More time efficient due to fewer trips back and forth but also I feel a more balanced load is safer on the body as far as injuries, muscle pulls and even slip/fall in the field.

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm about to make some classifiers like this video, looks pretty sweet since it's water tight.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice classifier design. Two thoughts:

1. Instead of a flimsy Homer bucket, use a nice sturdy food service bucket. On the bottom of a plastic bucket you can find a number telling the thickness of the plastic. You want 090 NOT 075!
2. Use stainless steel mesh if you can. The galvanized mesh will have the galvanized layer worn off by your rocks and then rust and fail...surprisingly quickly. If you can't use stainless or brass, assemble it in a way that screen replacement is fairly easy.

Last edited:

NorCalPilot

Jan 31, 2013
Placer County, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

LRC253, I think you'll be happy with the BGT if you're trying to run a lot of dirt. I started with an A52 and managed maybe 10 buckets in a full day (classifying to 1/4 inch.) I bought a BGT and ran 36 buckets on my first day without classifying. I typically fill 2 buckets at a time, run them through the BGT, and cleanup after 10 buckets. I don't catch the fines like I did with the A52, but I do catch more gold because I'm able to run more dirt.

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again Kevin and NCP for the tips!
BTW I've been looking around for some woven stainless mesh and this seems to be the best site for pricing, they also sell it in sq. ft. with no minimum quantity http://www.grainger.com/

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lot of guys buy from them, especially the professional miners.

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've got the hang of the LR2000 system and am working on a overlay for Google Earth to track closed/active claims in WA state, I have a quick question though, Can I pan on a lode claim or is that a no go?

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I hit a few places this week for my first time out also with the bgt and lets just say I need to look harder for another spot... lol.. I would say I got about 6 flecks...
Had a great time though!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I've got the hang of the LR2000 system and am working on a overlay for Google Earth to track closed/active claims in WA state, I have a quick question though, Can I pan on a lode claim or is that a no go?

I believe that's a no go unless you ask the claim owner.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple things I've learned with my BGT Prospector. You generally don't have to classify. However when running clay, conglomerate type gravel or sedimentary material I would recommend classifying to 1/2" or better yet a 1/4". The better you break up the material your feeding into the box the better the fine gold retention. I also have added a 3" strip of 1/4" hardware cloth just in front of (not on) the grizzly bars, the width of the box to aid in breaking up material. If you feel as though your blowing out gold- flatten out the box, reduce flow, or do a combination of both. It is pretty much as idiot proof as can be but you still have to pay attention to what it's doing and adjust accordingly. As far as low flow situations go, with some creative wingdaming, and box angling It will run just fine.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A couple things I've learned with my BGT Prospector. You generally don't have to classify. However when running clay, conglomerate type gravel or sedimentary material I would recommend classifying to 1/2" or better yet a 1/4". The better you break up the material your feeding into the box the better the fine gold retention. I also have added a 3" strip of 1/4" hardware cloth just in front of (not on) the grizzly bars, the width of the box to aid in breaking up material. If you feel as though your blowing out gold- flatten out the box, reduce flow, or do a combination of both. It is pretty much as idiot proof as can be but you still have to pay attention to what it's doing and adjust accordingly. As far as low flow situations go, with some creative wingdaming, and box angling It will run just fine.

Agree 100%. I haven't bothered with hardware cloth but after many trips/hours running mine over the last year, I think you got it right all the way.

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know it's been a while since I posted but I'd like to follow up with a thanks for everyone's opinions. I got a am foreman and a bgt. Have used them both with various water conditions and have gotten a s load of black sand however very minimal amount of au. But, I've been having a great time and plan on hitting up the blewett/liberty area soon where I think I'll have better odds.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know it's been a while since I posted but I'd like to follow up with a thanks for everyone's opinions. I got a am foreman and a bgt. Have used them both with various water conditions and have gotten a s load of black sand however very minimal amount of au. But, I've been having a great time and plan on hitting up the blewett/liberty area soon where I think I'll have better odds.
If you're catching the black sand, I think we can be confident you're catching the gold. Now it's time to find richer ground!

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cheers to that. I'll follow up in a few weeks after my next outing.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LRC-have you been out to the old princess queen claim in sultan or to any of the public areas on the raging river? Both decent public spots, but they require some pretty hard work based on the fact that they are available to all.

Sent from my Brain using TreasureNet

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have Never been to sultan however I have drove over the raging river many times on hwy 18 near the 90 interchange but I'm not really sure where to turn off and start hiking down.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have Never been to sultan however I have drove over the raging river many times on hwy 18 near the 90 interchange but I'm not really sure where to turn off and start hiking down.

There are 2 spots that are pretty easy to find, and both have produced gold (though very small) every time I've visited them.

The first couple spots are in Preston, directions given are assuming you are traveling from seattle west bound. I think its exit 22 or 23 to "Preston/fall city" take the exit and then hang a left over the freeway, come to T in the road and turn right. You will pass a gas station and a subway. Keep your eyes peeled for the turn (I don't know the name of this road) that takes off the right side of the road, and runs mostly parallel with the freeway.

There are actually quite a few little spots to dig down this way. At the bottom of the hill there is a bridge that crosses the raging, immediately before the bridge is a narrow dirt road pull off and drive down pothole covered road to the parking spot about 100 yards down the road. You are about 10' above river level and there and getting down with equipment is super easy.

You can drive over the first little bridge that crosses the raging, and park right under the I-90 freeway. From there it's an aggressive jaunt down the bank to the river and plenty of parking on this side.

The second spot is as follows

I-90 west to hwy 18 (exit 25).
Head south for a little more than a mile, you will cross a high bridge. Immediately following the bridge is a parking area, and a set of gates that stops vehicular travel. !!!!Many cars have been broken into here for parking out of sight, so try to park on road not back near gate!!!! Grab your gear and head thru the gate and follow trail that goes to the right down to rivers edge.

There is another smaller stream to the left that I have never checked out, but if you look at google earth you can see it pretty easy. Not sure if there is anything in there.

I got my very first flour and flake from the raging, it's a great close place to mine!!

Sent from my Brain using TreasureNet

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice, I'll give it a try. I know all the local stuff is crazy flooded right now. I'll try in a few weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread