Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Obscure topic

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2013
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    ps grain size is of fine sand ~400 um

Oct 2013
    Forgot to mention, given the basin position 500 Ma, 30 degrees on a good day, maybe 22 on a bad. tehehehe But yeh around about 25 degrees I would estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick4gold View Post
    Agree out of my league but i also agree that there are many other factors to consider.
    A few off the top if my head...
    Each grain of material has a different shape, riFFle timing, slope, depth and speed, etc.
    Not to mention if you want to get super technical density is a relative measurement as specific gravity changes depending on the temperature of the water it's in. Water is most dense at 39 degrees F.

I'm pretty sure also the physics of a sluice box are not 100% understood. There's plenty of information out there on the subject but I think the only way to get the answers your looking for is a long control test and research.

us
    Jun 2013
    Indiana/Ohio
    Proline!!!
    174 times
    Prospecting
    I didn't really want the water temp, I was simply implying that there are a lot of factors in play here.
    Your questions may be better answered on a physics forum. There is a lot of information out there but what I gather from most of it is wind and underwater dune formation is not fully understood.
    I'm including a link. Not sure if it will help or not but it's over my head so hopefully you can get something out of it.
    http://www-f1.ijs.si/~rudi/sola/Sem4.pdf

us
    Oct 2009
    7462 times
    Glad to see you back!

I don't know if there are any formulas that would fit what you are asking. Your best method to find an approximate answer would probably be to create a fluid bed and use the same particles you are concerned with. You could adjust the water depth and speed until you get the outcome you are analyzing.

Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick4gold View Post
    I didn't really want the water temp, I was simply implying that there are a lot of factors in play here.
    Your questions may be better answered on a physics forum. There is a lot of information out there but what I gather from most of it is wind and underwater dune formation is not fully understood.
    I'm including a link. Not sure if it will help or not but it's over my head so hopefully you can get something out of it.
    http://www-f1.ijs.si/~rudi/sola/Sem4.pdf
    I understood your point but I was trying to show how badly I seem to be failing. I think I might try a physics forum though I came here as I a geologist saw many similarities with the sluice box design. Didnt think of trying physics forums; would be a little scared they would tear me to shreds with bosons and all that crap. Personally I feel that this topic does go way above my head. I might just stop as its only a minor, minor part of the project but I must express my thanks for link. Just looking into that now and it seems like it might help somewhat with my problem though. As you said, flow dynamics is poorly understood and largely empirical. Infact I remember reading somewhere that the core stokes laws etc are, though solid and well defined empirically and used for designing aircraft wing tips and a whole host of the stuff, fundamentally quite unknown and compromise one of the the most serious remaining physics phenomena. Millennium problems rings a bell? Figure that, dont even know how aircraft really fly? Cheers though and once again thanks for the link, your time and effort.
    Last edited by geostudent101; Oct 11, 2013 at 07:05 PM.

us
    Jun 2013
    Indiana/Ohio
    Proline!!!
    174 times
    Prospecting
    I only wish I ( we ) could have been more help.
    There are a lot of brilliant people here and someone may respond down the road as old links are refreshed all the time.
    In the meantime I hope you stay on the forum as you seem to be a very nice guy and may be able to offer advise/Insight to others being a geologist.
    I will say that people here may not understand the theoretical physics of ripple/riffles but sure can make that sluice catch gold. The advise here is usually sound and has personally increased my take along with many others. We may not totally get how the Higgins particle effects micro recovery but miners in general are a hard working, life loving bunch and especially here are quite willing to lend a hand if possible.
    I hope we may be of assistance down the road but don't be afraid of that physics forum. It's just a forum. If you don't like or understand it then who cares as no one there knows you.

Sep 2012
    Oregon
    169 times
    I may be way out of my league here, but I'll throw in my two cents worth. It may be that the specific gravity of your particles isn't what is causing the iron oxide covered particles to collect on the slipface. I think that it might be the difference between the water molecule bonding between silica and with iron oxide which is doing the sorting. Also, I think that your going to have to add the viscosity of water to your formula to find the flow velocity. After all, almost everything your describing here happens on a dry, wind blown dune. True?

Anyway, your problem is making my head hurt.

Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Glad to see you back!

I don't know if there are any formulas that would fit what you are asking. Your best method to find an approximate answer would probably be to create a fluid bed and use the same particles you are concerned with. You could adjust the water depth and speed until you get the outcome you are analyzing.
    Cheers thanks very much. Thats probably what I will do now.

us
    Sep 2008
    so kalifornia
    gmt, falcon md20
    29 times
    Prospecting
    I need another beer, my brain hurts. highdesertranger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links