Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Obscure topic

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2013
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Obscure topic

Hello there, Im a geology student doing some research and have a conundrum...

I have a series of ripples (google URL at bottom of post for diagram) where by on the slip face there is a deposit of Iron oxide coated quartz not seen throughout the rest of the ripple. I figured it was due to a density contrast between the material. Quartz has a density of 2.66g/cm3 whereas Iron oxide 5.24 g/cm³ . Assuming the quartz-oxide is 5% oxide - density = 2.79g/cm3, can I work out the original flow velocity? I came here as a sluice box has the same "physics package" leading to the separation of flow and deposition of the denser material. Obviously here the density contrast is smaller and this represents an inverse problem.
    The slope face is not preserved, but I assume an angle of 15 degrees and height (from base to crest-seperation) of 5 cm.

If anybody could give me any help regarding the physics behind this problem I would be most appreciative.
    Many thanks and good hunting/panning? to you all!
    Alastair

http://people.hofstra.edu/j_b_bennin...tes/ripple.gif

us
    Jun 2013
    Indiana/Ohio
    Proline!!!
    174 times
    Prospecting
    If you are going to find the answers your looking for I am confident that this is the best forum for it.
    It may take some persistence but there are plenty of brilliant people here.
    Also if you need the advise of a dumb redneck miner I'm here too!

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4521 times
    Chris Ralph could be of assistance. chrisralph@icmj.com I saw the title and wondered what you were going to say about me...............63bkpkr
    GarySluicie and russau like this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Oct 2009
    7462 times
    Obscure topic? I can't even understand the question.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5774 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by geostudent101 View Post
    I have a series of ripples (google URL at bottom of post for diagram) where by on the slip face there is a deposit of Iron oxide coated quartz not seen throughout the rest of the ripple. I figured it was due to a density contrast between the material. Quartz has a density of 2.66g/cm3 whereas Iron oxide 5.24 g/cm³ . Assuming the quartz-oxide is 5% oxide - density = 2.79g/cm3, can I work out the original flow velocity? I came here as a sluice box has the same "physics package" leading to the separation of flow and deposition of the denser material. Obviously here the density contrast is smaller and this represents an inverse problem.
    The slope face is not preserved, but I assume an angle of 15 degrees and height (from base to crest-seperation) of 5 cm.
    Alastair
    Alastair, I'm no physicist, so take this for what it's worth.

You have calculated the materials density, but there are other factors that I think
    would be required to calculate the flow velocity.

Is the bed these ripples are in laying flat, or does it have a downslope angle?

Could the depth of the water flowing over the ripples also have an impact?
    Last edited by DizzyDigger; Oct 03, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11756 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    so your material/spot/ripple is not under water?

donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1973 times
    Relic Hunting
    sorry, I am staying out of this...it appears to be a boobietrap.

us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Bounty Hunter's, Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Gold Pans, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc
    4125 times
    Try this: Bagnold equation

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Oct 03, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
    63bkpkr likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11756 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Flow of wind?...are you just trying to figure out why your seeing a color variation in the Ripples? and believe that as the wind blows the sands of different density they deposit differently, due to mineral make up. And are a making a variegated pattern? That's what it sounds like your describing, do you have a picture of this geological occurrence you are studying?

donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1973 times
    Relic Hunting
    the way I read it....a study of underwater dune formation?
    out of my league.

us
    Jun 2013
    Indiana/Ohio
    Proline!!!
    174 times
    Prospecting
    Agree out of my league but i also agree that there are many other factors to consider.
    A few off the top if my head...
    Each grain of material has a different shape, riFFle timing, slope, depth and speed, etc.
    Not to mention if you want to get super technical density is a relative measurement as specific gravity changes depending on the temperature of the water it's in. Water is most dense at 39 degrees F.

I'm pretty sure also the physics of a sluice box are not 100% understood. There's plenty of information out there on the subject but I think the only way to get the answers your looking for is a long control test and research.

May 2012
    511 times
    Try over here
    Scientific Journal

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4418 times
    HMMMMM?? i cant find my cluckalator and i dont have that many fingers and toes,so i better let someone a LOT smarter than I to do the figerin!

us
    Oct 2009
    7462 times
    I don't understand why these people come here, register as users, make one ridiculous post and then never come back. The OP hasn't been back since asking his "question". I wouldn't mind seeing a waiting period before people are allowed to post after joining.

Oct 2013
    Hi, In reply to Jason in Enid in particular. Im really sorry and feel UNBELIEVABLY guilty!! I thought I set it so that if anybody replied to my post I would get an email. Indeed it is quite shitty for people to reply to your posts then for you to effectively ignore their helpful advice/inquiries. My sincerest and most heartfelt apologies for this! Thanks you all for your replies, even the ones where people dont understand what the hell Im talking about, you took the time of day to read it!!

So....
    The bed is underwater but the thickness of the water above is somewhat unknown though interpreted as a near-shore tidal current based on the sediment i.e. say 1m. However I did not think/dont know if this has an impact. I have uploaded a diagram. So my overall question from the diagram is, as there is a density contrast, is it possible to work out the overall flow speed?? Most people to work this out just use the old Hjustrom curve based on the grain size and I can get an answer for this quite easily, but its a really imprecise range based on experimental data of roughly quartz sediment grain sizes. I was just thinking, can I based on these observations get quite a precise answer/range as the density contrast is pretty small. I tried looking at literature but couldnt find anything regarding density contrasts between the slipface and the upslope deposition. Maybe this is a non starter, but if the estimated range fits inside of the hjulstrom curve range it could be quite cool as a practical tool to work out a really precise current from several hundred million years ago.
    I WILL CHECK BACK EVERYDAY!!!!!! Sorry for not doing so, thanks again guys(and girl miners)!!!!
    Good sluicing to y'all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 11-10-2013 at 16.51.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	879192

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links