Show off yer sluice

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll start with the ribbed mat and see what I can come up with.

Deep vee is what is most mentioned. Some shallow vee running parallel to the flow before the mat is said to promote laminar flow and I use that in my slick plate area as a way to ramp up for a smooth transition to my goldhog mat for which the transition is problematic anyway.

Last edited:

Scoutdude

Jan 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FB_IMG_1453258359163.jpg
Gold hog Viper

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's my Royal powered sluice. It's nothing special but has been fun. sluice.JPG

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking about using a 1/4 inch stainless organizer thingy as a classifier on my sluice. I am wondering if I set it in the slick plate as the photos show, if it will allow enough water to clear the smaller material without impeding the sluice box. I've got good flow where I will be doing this.

Has anyone else tried this or similair? Good results, bad?
Thanks

Your expanded metal is backwards. Just wanted to let you know so you dont loose your gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nevermind. This conversation has already taken place. And i agree with everyone who says direction does matter.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nevermind. This conversation has already taken place. And i agree with everyone who says direction does matter.

Scientific studies (Univ of The Yukon) show orientation of expanded does not matter.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scientific studies (Univ of The Yukon) show orientation of expanded does not matter.

Was that study using "RAISED" expanded metal or just expanded metal? And was it a controlled study using only one set of variables?

Either way low pressure areas ARE created within the flow over "RAISED" expanded metal regardless of orientation, and as such gold will fall out of suspension in those areas.

HOWEVER, if you wanted to nit pick I would argue that while orientation of expanded metal has NO effect on creating low pressure areas, in the case of "RAISED" expanded metal one direction should create more low pressure than another due to the exit angle vs the approach angle of the raised expanded metal itself having a more favorable effect on creating low pressure. in addition there is a scouring effect that is more exaggerated when the direction of the raised expanded is running the wrong way.

I've found that controlled studies can often times be skewed due to not conducting the experiment using variables such as running at differing velocities as well as angles and sizes of gold used and even different sizes and styles of "Raised Expanded Metal" those variables may not have been taken into account if it was a controlled study using One set up, one style expanded and simply reversing the expanded.

Velocity and angle combined with size of the raised expanded metal do have an effect on the amount of low pressure created and should be taken into account during a thorough study.

GG~

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would argue that if it is the "wrong way" the raised expanded will create a ramp of material. And due to the lack of a protected scouring /concentrating eddy gold will have a chance to get up into laminar flow again if it can't settle into the material. depending on the density of the feed slurry it may take longer for the gold to find a trap it can get down into. i think the orientation does mater whenever you have a drop with two different heights... High to low always allows low pressure and protection from the wrong type of scour....low to high seems to lend itself to build up of too much material and higher pressuere against the downstream side. That is why you see build up and movement beind riffles and relatively quick clearing in front of a riffle when a sluice is running properly.

Last edited:

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to settle this is to test the idea out and see how it recovers for an extended period of time. Look to see if the riffles pack up or scour out and see if any gold or lead is lost. I know how riffle design works and what works best for what i do. I personally feel much safer using the method i know wont loose gold. One thing about using expanded metal with riffles is that the expanded metal is supposed to be there to block rocks from knocking gold out of the carpet that is under the riffles. In that case the direction of the expanded metal really isnt that important. The only issue i see with that system is the expanded metal leaves gaps under the riffles and can cause water to wash the gold out from under them. Allthough, some riffles have a wide base that can cover enough expanded metal to seal up the holes.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my comment is based on using it for years. Couple with the studies I have read. when your using it as riffles (the bigger expanded) it most definetly matters and loads up differently vs. exchanging properly. Or if your running classified material in fine gold areas and running only expanded over moss or carpet.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my comment is based on using it for years. Couple with the studies I have read. when your using it as riffles (the bigger expanded) it most definetly matters and loads up differently vs. exchanging properly. Or if your running classified material in fine gold areas and running only expanded over moss or carpet.

Exactly :icon_thumleft:
When it comes to gold recovery, the variables make all the difference.

Personally when I use raised expanded metal I'm going to stick with running it the way I've found works best.

GG~

Last edited:

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just watching bearing sea gold where they had this system. I've never seen one before. What's it called?

Oh wait, is it called the gold well?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wait, is it called the gold well

It's called the gold well drop riffle sluice.
A little on the pricey side..... just a small 6" by 36" sluice retails for over $500.00 with shipping.

Last edited:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't show off my sluice, it hasn't arrived yet lol! Bazooka take forever to arrive.

Awaiting Fulfillment...

I feel like I'm waiting for Christmas!

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457056561.064833.jpg

Here's my 30" Sniper that I love and want to show off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread