whats the best sluice for flower gold

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The angus mackirk sluice's do great on flour gold and the stuff here is glacial gold, they make a lot of different ones as no one sluice will fit all needs, what kind of water flow will you be using it in? Will there be times in the summer when the water is lower and not flowing much? It's probably best to have a couple sluice's to fit different conditions, unless there's always good water flow and your always on the same creek or river. I have a power sluice to use in some of the creeks around my area as in the summer sometimes there's no flow at all but there is holes that hold water that I can use with my power sluice with a pump. I have three sluice's now two are the angus mackirk sluice's, the grub steak is great for really small creeks with very low flow and is a great sluice to test an area before setting up a bigger sluice or the power sluice.

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the net Howell. Most sluices will catch flour gold if set up properly. Like wingmaster stated no one sluice will fit all needs. Most experiance miners will have several types of proccessing equipment be it sluices, power sluices a dredge or what have you. As you gain experiance you will know what works and is comfortable for you. I have never used a mackirk but they seem to come highly recomended and I have read here before that they are newbee freindly and easy to set up.I have several sluices but like my Keene A52 best and I can change it into a dredge or highbanker with just a few accessories. Check around in this forum and research what people say and recommend and you will come to a sound decision.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
howells320

howells320

Mar 27, 2013
The creeks around where I pan have a medium so slow flow depending on how long ago the rain has come and are about 5-7' across . The creeks are also a good distance away from the road so lighter the better but I'm not going to complain to bad I need a weight loss plain anyways.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For weight, ease of use and flour gold go get an angus Mackirk. Lots of models to choose from. I love my Expedition for slower/lower water and I skip right past the A52 to a Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector when there's more h2o!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have both the Keene A51 and A52, and when after flour/flood/float gold
(the little stuff) I use V matting with two layers of expanded metal
(offset) and it does very well.

OP
OP
howells320

howells320

Mar 27, 2013
Thank y'all for the info I'm leaning toward the angus mackirk sluices for light weight and most of there products will fit into my pack. So that's a plus. How durable is the plastic molding ?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very durable, very!

rtenpin

Sep 18, 2011
The AM sluices are super durable. I have one and it is great at catching flour gold.
Look at the tiny specks of gold in this picture from one of my clean ups.
3-12-13.jpg

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be a great poll question. I would have picked the Gold Cube tho I've never used one and it could be debated if its a sluice at all.

OP
OP
howells320

howells320

Mar 27, 2013
Nice color yeah I'm liking at the backpack and the recon right now. Just trying to make up my mind

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread