Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Mar 2013
    2 times

whats the best sluice for flower gold

I live in Alabama which is for the most part is all flower gold, every once and a while you come across some pickers. I'm finely breaking down and buying sluice box and looking for some advice on which ones work best for flower gold.

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    804 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The angus mackirk sluice's do great on flour gold and the stuff here is glacial gold, they make a lot of different ones as no one sluice will fit all needs, what kind of water flow will you be using it in? Will there be times in the summer when the water is lower and not flowing much? It's probably best to have a couple sluice's to fit different conditions, unless there's always good water flow and your always on the same creek or river. I have a power sluice to use in some of the creeks around my area as in the summer sometimes there's no flow at all but there is holes that hold water that I can use with my power sluice with a pump. I have three sluice's now two are the angus mackirk sluice's, the grub steak is great for really small creeks with very low flow and is a great sluice to test an area before setting up a bigger sluice or the power sluice.
    Last edited by wingmaster; Oct 09, 2013 at 09:14 PM.

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    832 times
    Welcome to the net Howell. Most sluices will catch flour gold if set up properly. Like wingmaster stated no one sluice will fit all needs. Most experiance miners will have several types of proccessing equipment be it sluices, power sluices a dredge or what have you. As you gain experiance you will know what works and is comfortable for you. I have never used a mackirk but they seem to come highly recomended and I have read here before that they are newbee freindly and easy to set up.I have several sluices but like my Keene A52 best and I can change it into a dredge or highbanker with just a few accessories. Check around in this forum and research what people say and recommend and you will come to a sound decision.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Mar 2013
    2 times
    The creeks around where I pan have a medium so slow flow depending on how long ago the rain has come and are about 5-7' across . The creeks are also a good distance away from the road so lighter the better but I'm not going to complain to bad I need a weight loss plain anyways.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10535 times
    Prospecting
    For weight, ease of use and flour gold go get an angus Mackirk. Lots of models to choose from. I love my Expedition for slower/lower water and I skip right past the A52 to a Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector when there's more h2o!

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5775 times
    Prospecting
    I have both the Keene A51 and A52, and when after flour/flood/float gold
    (the little stuff) I use V matting with two layers of expanded metal
    (offset) and it does very well.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Mar 2013
    2 times
    Thank y'all for the info I'm leaning toward the angus mackirk sluices for light weight and most of there products will fit into my pack. So that's a plus. How durable is the plastic molding ?

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10535 times
    Prospecting
    Very durable, very!

us
    BobbyT

Sep 2011
    7 times
    The AM sluices are super durable. I have one and it is great at catching flour gold.
    Look at the tiny specks of gold in this picture from one of my clean ups.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-12-13.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	879205

us
    Sep 2010
    Groveland, CA
    441 times
    This would be a great poll question. I would have picked the Gold Cube tho I've never used one and it could be debated if its a sluice at all.

Mar 2013
    2 times
    Nice color yeah I'm liking at the backpack and the recon right now. Just trying to make up my mind

Mar 2013
    2 times
    That and trying to find a descent shipping rate

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links