keene A52

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow congrats!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keeping my A-51... It helped me find gold *sniff*, and I want a backup in case the water flow ever and issue.
Good for you Tweeta!
What model of Bazooka are you getting? Normal or heavy grizzly?
I'm torn on the 36 vs 48 inch prospector, and I have no clue on the grizzly selection. Maybe two people shoveling into it non stop all day.

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
well ive decided to go with the 36" regular with regular grizzlies. the regular grizzlies are closer to the size i classify at and as far as the heavy duty i figure if the tubes in a regular will handle it why spend the extra for heavy duty. i dont see that the thickness of the tubes have anything to do with it, it wont supply more water besides im tryn to slow the flow down. im disliking my keene more and more.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure what you'd have to subject a prospector to in the way of abuse to need the heavy duty version. I'm sure they added that version for a reason but I've yet to hear anyone complain about the durability of the normal version...me included and I use it pretty hard!

As to 36 vs 48... If you have two people shoveling right into it the 48 or the Miner could be warranted. If classifying (even just 1" classifier) into buckets and carrying them even a few yards to the sluice, I doubt two guys could overwhelm the 48 inch but the Miner would give some margin of confidence. I have found that just shaking a bucket of classified material into the 36 inch has made me wish for the 48" but does work well enough :-)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great points Kevin, I'm leaning towards the 48, however I do need to be able to haul it out of the river by myself haha. How much does the 36 prospector weigh dry?
Do you use a stand? Have you made any modifications to yours? If you could do it all over again would you get the Miner?
I've been toying with the idea of taking all my gear on a two wheeler dolly. Today I am going to Lowe's and getting all the junk I need to build hand dredge, in anticipation of next weekend when the weather is a little better here in Denver, (I work at County Line and I-25, if you guys are doing show and tell or lunch or whatever I'd love to tag along)
Also what does cleanup look like? You take the whole thing out of the water and pop the back off into a bucket or tray? Do you pick it up like a normal sluice? (slip the bucket over the end, then stand it up into the bucket/tub?)

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
how does the length affect this sluice kevin? the 48" is only 1" wider then the 36"

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
how does the length affect this sluice kevin? the 48" is only 1" wider then the 36"
More slick plate give more time for segregation of material by density and so allows for more volume of material at once. Also good for clayish material that needs a little more distance to break down...in exchange for being 1/3 heavier and a bit more awkward to set up in the creek.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great points Kevin, I'm leaning towards the 48, however I do need to be able to haul it out of the river by myself haha. How much does the 36 prospector weigh dry? Do you use a stand? Have you made any modifications to yours? If you could do it all over again would you get the Miner? I've been toying with the idea of taking all my gear on a two wheeler dolly. Today I am going to Lowe's and getting all the junk I need to build hand dredge, in anticipation of next weekend when the weather is a little better here in Denver, (I work at County Line and I-25, if you guys are doing show and tell or lunch or whatever I'd love to tag along) Also what does cleanup look like? You take the whole thing out of the water and pop the back off into a bucket or tray? Do you pick it up like a normal sluice? (slip the bucket over the end, then stand it up into the bucket/tub?)

Lessee...
1. Regular 36 in prospector is 8.5 pounds, supermini is 2 pounds according to my bathroom scale.
2. No stand, haven't needed one where I go - metro Denver and mountain creeks.
3. No modifications
4. If I could do it all over I would get the Prospector sooner!
5. I use a 2 wheel dolly sometimes too...mostly when I have a bit of a walk and want to bring buckets and chest waders which aren't always needed of course.
6. I use the Gold-n-sand xtream sand sucker, have fun making one, I hope it works as well!

...PM me with your phone number and likely times you'd be available such as a long lunch or later afternoon before sunset and you're in as long as you will swear to keep my prospecting secrets. Really!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
got the money for my new bazooka today, now i just gotta figure out how to make this transaction sense i dont have a paypal account.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freaking sweet! Congrats!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that mean your Keene sold?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
now unless someone buys my keene its gonna collect dust in the garage.
You could also promote it on the coloradoGoldCamp forum since that is all locals (except RussAU who is everywhere!) Meanwhile call and ask the Bazooka guys about you mailing them a check...that should be fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
didnt know about this coloradocamp forum. ima check it out and im just gonna put the money in the bank and do a paypal one time payment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread