Why is Le Trap asymmetrical?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By russau
  • 2 Post By Hoser John
  • 1 Post By goldenIrishman
  • 1 Post By russau
  • 1 Post By rockygulchJoe
  • 2 Post By Goldwasher
  • 1 Post By AzViper
  • 1 Post By specksandflecks

Thread: Why is Le Trap asymmetrical?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2013
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Why is Le Trap asymmetrical?

Why is Le Trap asymmetrical? One side has a bench with only a few riffles whereas the other side is at an angle with many riffles.

Does this serve a purpose?

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4457 times
    I would recommend contacting the LeTrap manufactor and ask them why!straight from the horses mouth!
    kYLEMtnCRUZr likes this.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6662 times
    to catch gold better
    Prospector70 and kYLEMtnCRUZr like this.

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6155 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    It's designed that way to give it different areas of flow so it catches more gold. If it was the same all the way down and some gold went through the first part, why would it get caught in an area that is just the same? Think of it like mixing different types of riffles or matting to give you a better mix of flows.
    kYLEMtnCRUZr likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Nov 2013
    2 times
    ok, i figured. i understand a variety of riffles perpendicular to your flow, which guarantees that 100% of your material will pass over it. But having a different riffle only on one side? You better hope that the gold that likes the bench riffle is placed on that one side! If there is such a thing that likes that type of rifflem that means youre losing the other 80% since the riffle only covers 20%. Welp whatever!

i guess i ask because i am OCD with certain things, and items being symmetrical is one of them, despite my arbitrary use of the shift key in my screen name :/

And i am designing my own sluice, so these things interest me.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4457 times
    Did you ask the manufactor of this sluice why they did it this way?
    Goodyguy likes this.

Jan 2013
    25 times
    Hi guys, Jobe makes Le'trap now in the usa

Thought you old-timers would get kick out of this. The Super Jet that was made by Oregon Gold Dredge in the nineteen seventies. It looks like it used Le'trap style sluice boxes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1385868825534.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	907198
    Fullpan likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11945 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    you will never lose 80%of any gold out of a sluice unless you turn it upside down.
    jog and russau like this.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6662 times
    Not anything to do with Le Ttap as that unit was the original Compass Dredge,then when Compass folded went to a independent who made that multi headed hydra WHICH totally killed the company. I was a compass dealer and actually sold quite a few of the originals backpakers. The hollow pontoons unscrewed and held the parts for the dredge and other items also. They were built TOUGH and the heaviest powder coating texturing I've ever seen on any piece of equipment. Decent recovery with HEAVY duty metal riffle system that lifted out. They utilized the TML radio controlled plane engines from canada just like keene did waaaaaay back in the day. The original was a great single piece backpack unit as dredge frame was a molded backpak built in also. Sooo cool a tool-John

us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2187 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenIrishman View Post
    It's designed that way to give it different areas of flow so it catches more gold. If it was the same all the way down and some gold went through the first part, why would it get caught in an area that is just the same? Think of it like mixing different types of riffles or matting to give you a better mix of flows.
    Kinda like mixing the Gold Hog mats to create a different surface while changing the water flow to trap the gold, may not catch in one area but will in another. I may add it works very well, ran one 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket that was vacuumed from the bedrock...

Name:	SLU8.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	909845 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLU6.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	909846 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLU1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	909847

Name:	SLU5.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	909848 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLU11.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	909849 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T186.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	909854
    Last edited by AzViper; Dec 06, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    russau likes this.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6662 times
    Hahahahah Le Trap was meticuliously designed to provide hi pressure recovery,low pressure slack areas,backeddy for fines and run in low water conditions. Please look at riffles as NO spam related mat garbage just smooth surfaces and riffles NO carpets needed either as best a the best needs none. I could not count the many MANY pounds of gold recovered with them over the years.Dozens of pics posted here over the years with POUNDAGE within a single box. I retired from retail many years ago so no pocket packn' incentives here just a fulltime ,provide outta the recovery box miner, telln' ya whats worked for almost 30 years now.-John

us
    Nov 2009
    Eugene Oregon
    Whites GMT
    140 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr View Post
    Why is Le Trap asymmetrical? One side has a bench with only a few riffles whereas the other side is at an angle with many riffles.

Does this serve a purpose?
    From what I can remember of the manual, the bench side (left side) is to help make clean out easier. Manual suggests tilting to the left as you empty it into your pan/bucket.

I wouldn't say it makes a lot of difference though since Le Trap clean outs are about as easy as they get. They are a good little sluice for the price.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4457 times
    HMMM?? i never got a manual with mine! i didnt even know there was a manual..its still a great peice of equipment!

us
    Nov 2009
    Eugene Oregon
    Whites GMT
    140 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    HMMM?? i never got a manual with mine! i didnt even know there was a manual..its still a great peice of equipment!
    Ho Ho Ho here you go.

Last edited by specksandflecks; Dec 23, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Goldwasher likes this.

Sponsored Links