Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
some of these sluices have variable depths. the only way to figure out what you need.is experiment! Astrobouncer has made a few of these, maybe he will chime in on some ideas for you.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
What I have been doing for a couple years now, is putting a cut that gradually gets both wider and deeper the further back you go. I like to keep my front drops less then 1/4 inch wide, and about that deep, that way large stones cannot fall into them and then blow out the material. Another thing that I have found is absouletly critical for holding the super fine gold is putting a single saw blade cut into the back of every drop (sometimes the front to change this up). So in essence you have a drop riffle, then another much smaller drop inside the drop. And later on, as the riffles get wider, I widen that secondary drop as well. I use these double drop sluices both for bank run, and then for running my cons later to upgrade them to super cons.

Here's an example video I did that shows the process.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Astro. I have seen your sluices and how well they work. I have also followed your videos. I actually have a nice extruded aluminum C channel used for commercial glass and glazing. So I will only be dealing with routing/ dadoing some 1x for the bottom. It seems to me most of the wood ones I've seen have been made from 1x, so I am assuming about 5/8" is the deepest groove?
Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread