Gutter sluice or bucket sluice???????

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i, for myself, like makeing my own equipment. and considering your age/finacial situation, id make some thing from the gutter to save on $$ and to impress your pop! i wish you lived closer, i could help you with material and building it for when your dad comes home!

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess we are all different, so kind of hard to say wich you "Should" do....But, for me, I have enjoyed building my own.
I started w/ a very simple set-up w/ carpet & aluminum L brackets for the riffles... I used it once or twice & decided I had to go back to the drawing board. (had no idea how much angle, water speed, how far to classify, etc...would it even work ?) Looking back now, that has been half of the fun.

I found post's on this site about the fluid bed gold trap's and was hooked. I found a metal co. close to me on the internet, was in Hayward, Ca. Spent $20-30 on a bunch of aluminum & aluminum scraps. Tools were a pair of tin snip's, pop rivet gun, corless drill, and some hammers & Files & clamps....

Get "almost" as much fun showing that thing off as I do the gold I've found. (And it works So much better !) After the holidays I am going to make a "prospector" size that can run a lil more material....

Photo0296.jpg

UTAvalanche

Oct 30, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My personal preference of the two is the bucket sluice. Its small and easy to set up in a 5 gallon bucket and it really does well catching the fine gold. I bought a 650 GPH pump for battery use and a 200 GPH that runs on AC for around the house. I made a hose with a hose shutoff valve down near the pump to control the water flow that fits both. I have also made several larger sluices of the drop riffle style and they work quite well and can use the same pumps.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You learn more about the ins and outs of the best ways to recover gold by building your own. :icon_thumleft:
Not to mention the self confidence and pride derived from a job well done. Plus the skills learned by working with your hands that will give you a lifetime of satisfaction and pleasure.

GG~

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
I agree with GG. Feels awesome when you get gold with equipment you made. Here is my first homemade sluice.

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing like saying, "kiss my butt" to the forrest circus folk like a good old gutter sluice.

when sluices are outlawed, only outlaws will have sluices!

mrlindeman

Feb 6, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gutter sluice with low profile v rib. 28 inches long will catch almost all the gold if run correctly. I like the bucket sluice as well. I put low profile v rib on the slick plate of mine. I love v rib lol lol

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alex,
I thought you had a gold cube?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Why is it I can picture Alex in shop class here. Instead of making the usual spice rack or jewelry box he's working on a major highbanker or drywasher.

GoodGuy is right Alex. Learn how to make as many of your own projects as you can. Te skills will serve you well your entire life. My sister even took shop in school and she's a better mechanic than her husband!

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sampling begins and Ends with a pan.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I say bucket sluice. Like the one Tony Beets got.:notworthy:

Top Member Reactions