bazooka gold trap

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
How are you supposed to set up a sluice? I have tried before in the NF American and failed badly. I want to buy a bazooka so badly! But sadly I'm very uneducated on experience with setting up a sluice. Trust me I have done my research, although I don't know if there are any particular set up skills. Any advice, I'm talking Of course about the bazooka specifically a 30" prospectors.

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you supposed to set up a sluice? I have tried before in the NF American and failed badly. I want to buy a bazooka so badly! But sadly I'm very uneducated on experience with setting up a sluice. Trust me I have done my research, although I don't know if there are any particular set up skills. Any advice, I'm talking Of course about the bazooka specifically a 30" prospectors.

The bazooka is easy to set up. This is how I do it. I put it in the stream grad a handfull of gravels from where im standing and throw it in the sluice movie the sluice up and down at diffrent angles until the water clears the material. Then wedge it in place with rocks ect around you big rocks lol. Sometimes I use a board lay it across the top and put a rock on that to hold it down. I would just recommend that you put it in water the has a good deal of velocity to it then mess around with the drop

Bazooka is by far the easiest sluice I have ever set up.

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

H&f909, bazooka set up is simple as it gets. Just place the bgt in the stream with the metal bar thingies facing the ground, start shoveling material into the scoop deal and you'll be catching all the gold! it's as easy as that, hope this helps... :laughing7:

Last edited:

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NF American...While not the OG version, same principle....Just mess around...depth & angle do not seem as important as good flow....at least for me....

This is last summer, water was lower, so I was using a "V" dam,
IMG_20140101_132739.jpg

Right now water is higher, thought that was a good thing, but current next to shore not so good...have needed to get it out in the middle a little more....careful, it'll float away :)

CAM00299.jpg CAM00298.jpg

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NF American...While not the OG version, same principle....Just mess around...depth & angle do not seem as important as good flow....at least for me....

This is last summer, water was lower, so I was using a "V" dam,
View attachment 966769

Right now water is higher, thought that was a good thing, but current next to shore not so good...have needed to get it out in the middle a little more....careful, it'll float away :)

View attachment 966767 View attachment 966768

I have a ton of respect for you guys who can build your own stuff....... I can barley make my bed!

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a couple of posts on the Bazooka. I own the super prospector model and have used the mini as well. It is probably the most innovative and efficient design sluice box there is. Definitely the best i've used. The riffle boxes channel water through a flair. The riffles in a riffle box create a vortex which is a small low pressure zone in the water current which causes the gold to fall out of the current and become trapped. This design has worked for over a century but the Bazooka is a much better box at trapping gold in my opinion. The Bazooka is made up of the slick plate (the bed on top where you put the material to be sluiced) the grizzly bars ( these are at the end of the slick plate and classify the material over 3/8in or 1/2in depending on model out before the material enters the fluid bed. The sluice is tapered to speed the flow of the water and aid in the quick processing of material from the slick plate. There is also a chamber underneath which channels the flow of the water to 2 or 3 pvc tubes (depending on model) The PVC runs into the fluid bed and has jet holes pointing at downward angles in the fluid bed. The water pressure in the chamber causes the material in the fluid bed to become aerated so that the heavies quickly sink to the bottom while the lighter material bubbles out the top. It is a great sluice box. Any sluice has advantages and disadvantages. For rugged portability the Bazooka super mini is awesome. For running a butt-load of material the Prospector excels I dump 5 gallon buckets into mine and it processes the material very nicely. Keep in mind before you make your purchase that the Bazooka design requires a strong current to work correctly. For areas with a lighter current either you will need to build a good channel for the water or you will need another option. For maximum flour gold recovery in a very slow moving current you can't beat the LeTrap sluice box. It is a drop riffle with a great design and can be used as a highbanker or sluice but only one or the other because to use it as a sluice you have to saw the end off. Stupid I know. However it is a fantastic box for catching the fine gold and works well in a slow current. If in an area of the river/creek with to slow a current for any box I really like my Fossicker. Which is also called a Pyramid pan also known as a production pan. It is considered a gold pan but it has the ability to eat through an amazing amount of material. With mine I can run through a 5 gallon bucket of unclassified material in about 5 minutes. Hope this helps somewhat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread