Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other

ryanonthevedder

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there! Anyone use any of these guys matting in their sluices? Anyone tried the new DownDraft Mat they are offering? I like the razorback mat in a recirculating sluice I built to go under my blue bowl, it does a good job collecting the micro fines I accidentally wash out!

Hey there, I have gold hog mats in my sluice. I used expanded and moss for a bit, but had several positive reports that compelled me to get the hog mat. I have not had much of a chance to test them, but they do catch gold. Also they have some pretty good customer service. I mentioned that I was having some losses and the owner of the company contacted me and recommended adding some downdraft... at no cost! They do stand behind what they sell. I might get out this weekend to test, but I may have to run down to Washington to pick up some parts for the old Yota. I will post my findings when I get them.

First run with the hog mats

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive had very good luck. With hog mats. Will catch gold that you can bareley see. I use two pieces of scrubber mat. And the rest razor in a 30" stream sluice.

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Hey triple d can you send me a pic of how you have your matting setup in your sluice. Thanks.

OP
OP
Marmentman

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Ryan, on the blue bowl, it works wonders when set up right! Also if you build a stand and put your sluice under the blue bowl with a hose to direct the water in abetter angle down the sluice,you should catch almost all the gold without as much blacks and and blonds. My system works well for me with only few tiny flyspeck escaping.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not good with pictures. Just got to get the courage to try. But basicly I start with two pieces of scrubber mat. And three pieces of razor back matting.Leaving a 6" or 8" Area at the flair. To spoon your material onto. I use gorillar glue to hold the mats to the sluice. And I use just the mats nothing else. And they work super.

OP
OP
Marmentman

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
So you glue down yours permenantly instead of using tape for easier clean up

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey there! Anyone use any of these guys matting in their sluices? Anyone tried the new DownDraft Mat they are offering? I like the razorback mat in a recirculating sluice I built to go under my blue bowl, it does a good job collecting the micro fines I accidentally wash out!

There have been many discussions of Gold Hog gear, especially the matting.
Doc is a site member, and frequently posts in the general gold section. There
was also a recent thread by AzViper about the matting, and pics showing how
he installed it in his sluices.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry Marment man. I don"t glue them down. I use gorilla glue duck tape. Left out the duck tape part.

OP
OP
Marmentman

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool that is what I did, and seems to do good as long as the gold can't travel under the mat. I had that happen to me once till I put v rubber matting down first.

ryanonthevedder

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Results

Got out to the claim yesterday and got my hog mat dialed right in. I tested the tailings several times, I tested the pay going in, and I must say I am very happy. I was running around 97% capture rates and we were shoveling pretty hard. My mat config is UR-UR-razor-scrubber-razor-razor-scrubber-razor-UR-UR in the top 4' and all down draft in the bottom 4'.

First section of razor in the top box. Best I have ever seen it:headbang:

razor gld.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread