Sluice on a budget?

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California sluice box company drop riffle stream sluice. I love them now that i have tried them. Easy to clean up, no riffles, carpet or matting to remove, and they catch really fine gold.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Angus Mackirk makes some great sluices that catch the real fine gold great and some are in your price range, just make sure to get a big enough sluice to process the material you want as well. The AM sluices still work good if you don't have the flow you want, you just have to feed it slower.

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree, the angus mackirk are the best for your range. They are very good sluices for fine gold. Make sure the buy the right one for your area. Good Luck!

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!!! Which Mackirk would you suggest?

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. Well it's up to you to figure which one would be best for the types of water ways you have. Is there streams, rivers or creeks in your area?
We have Land in Denton, Nc which is near reeds gold mine and the uwharrie so im excited to go up there this weekend. I already have a small micro sluice thats like a foot long with rubber riffles but im not sure how fast the water is. Do the mackirks have drop flairs so i dont have to position it perfectly?

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
No, most of them don't have flares except a few select ones. I can't tell which ones do or don't cause the are currently working on their websites pictures. With your small sluice make sure to classify it and feed it very slowly. Feed it with little amounts at a time. If you overload it you will be loosing gold. Good Luck out there prospecting!

crazywolfminingco

Dec 29, 2013
pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prototype.JPG colorado goldsticks. is my favorite.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save up a little more $ and check out a bazooka.....Will save you lot's of time & effort not classifyin, and the setup is easier...I'd rather find a spot I can set-up mine than classify & feed slow all day. Get it set-up right and you can run some serious material through a pretty small sluice....

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save up a little more $ and check out a bazooka.....Will save you lot's of time & effort not classifyin, and the setup is easier...I'd rather find a spot I can set-up mine than classify & feed slow all day. Get it set-up right and you can run some serious material through a pretty small sluice....

Drop Riffle ABS Sluice Box 10" x 39"
how about that one? my budget got cut significantly due to a hospital bill :( at least everyone is okay!

OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grubsteak sluice for getting gold

or this one? ive hear the angus ones are great. im just a (serious) hobby miner so i dont need to run huge amounts of material through my sluice. It takes me a while to find good ground anyway cause im in chapel hill (havent checked the denton dirt out yet) and theres not much gold ;(. if anyone thinks there is can you tell me where i could find it and how deep to go? should i dig all the way to bedrock right next to the creek?

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
BGT mini and prospector, Gold-n-Sand.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grubsteak sluice for getting gold

or this one? ive hear the angus ones are great. im just a (serious) hobby miner so i dont need to run huge amounts of material through my sluice. It takes me a while to find good ground anyway cause im in chapel hill (havent checked the denton dirt out yet) and theres not much gold ;(. if anyone thinks there is can you tell me where i could find it and how deep to go? should i dig all the way to bedrock right next to the creek?
Well in my area, which is about 20 miles southeast, most of the gold I have found has been pretty recent flood gold. Seems the pay layer (if you can call it that) is near the bottom of the overburden and fines mixed in throughout.
From what I have seen of the topography near CH, if you are in an old creek that is not a flood controlled one, the gold should be deeper, more like out west.
You will probably run into a large amount of black sand too. I have found decent amounts where you can find black sand on top of a bluish clay. The creek I hit is a rain creek and only allows sluicing after storms.
I run BGTs, a mini and a new 36" prospector.
If you have an area that you can prospect gimme a shout and I can demo the BGTs for you. I work in RTP, so I can probably come by after work some night or can do weekends off and on depending on baseball.
Chapel Hill is right on the edge of the slate belt and there is historical mines around the area, so there should be some color all around.
Denton is smack dab in the middle of good gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drop Riffle ABS Sluice Box 10" x 39" how about that one? my budget got cut significantly due to a hospital bill :( at least everyone is okay!
With your budget, I'd say make one out of wood that looks like the ABS one in the link above. Seal it well so it doesn't warp (at least for a while). Should be able to make it for $30 all in. Then once you get more $$ and experience and get tired of classifying material (which you 100% will!) then go buy a Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector. You'll move 2X the material and get 2X plus some more gold with it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bfine01

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in my area, which is about 20 miles southeast, most of the gold I have found has been pretty recent flood gold. Seems the pay layer (if you can call it that) is near the bottom of the overburden and fines mixed in throughout.
From what I have seen of the topography near CH, if you are in an old creek that is not a flood controlled one, the gold should be deeper, more like out west.
You will probably run into a large amount of black sand too. I have found decent amounts where you can find black sand on top of a bluish clay. The creek I hit is a rain creek and only allows sluicing after storms.
I run BGTs, a mini and a new 36" prospector.
If you have an area that you can prospect gimme a shout and I can demo the BGTs for you. I work in RTP, so I can probably come by after work some night or can do weekends off and on depending on baseball.
Chapel Hill is right on the edge of the slate belt and there is historical mines around the area, so there should be some color all around.
Denton is smack dab in the middle of good gold.

I have land on price creek. Pritchards mill is on my property. What do you think about that spot? Is it a good one? Where should I be looking?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread