Bear River with the kids

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Spent the day Saturday at Bear River with my wife, 2 of my kids and my BGT. I think I got the BGT dialed in right this time. Had good water flow and the rocks just slid off the end. The trap kept filling up and I used a crevice tool to mix it up in there and get the pebbles out. That seamed to work good. Ended up with a little gold, all small flakes. But, what a great day on the river. Beautifull weather mid 70's and time with the family. Mid day a small heard of deer crossed the river about 10 yards up from us. Large geese floated by a few times.
I have tried to add a pic to this post but I keep getting " the application just crashed etc... I will try to post a pic later.
Steve

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140316_194838.png
    ForumRunner_20140316_194838.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I guess the pic did post. Sorry for it being sideways. I have got to figure this high tech stuff out.
Steve

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bear river great place for kids, lots of fine but have seen pickers come out of that place too,

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't click "like" enough, love the family outings!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a great way to spend a day...:occasion14:

Fixed the pic for ya..

ForumRunner_20140316_194838-2.jpg

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like your family had a memorable time. Thanks for sharing.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
tricky DD, that was sweet howda fix the pic

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ DD Coil, 30" BGT Prospector, Blue bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm takin my boy out there this Sat Steve! Should be a great time and great weather. Actually looking forward to getting in the water this time lol. If anyone wants to meet up out there, the more the merrier!

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love it! I am curious about your strategy of stirring the material in the trap. I'm curious whether others have tried that? Also what made you think it was needed? I've never done that and get great gold recovery but I'm always learning!

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Hi Kevin,
Somewhere along the way I thought I read about checking the trap to see if it is over filling. Not sure where I read that. When I stuck my finger in the slot I could feel that the rocks were up to the top. My son was playing with the crevice tool and it looked like the right size and shape. I stuck the L shaped end into the trap and worked it back and forth between the jets. The water flow blew out most the small rocks. I don't know if this needed to be done but my son and I shoveled all day and only did 1 clean out at the end of the day. Ended up with a lot of black sand and for the Bear River common area a good amount of small flake gold. Maybe what I did was not necessary. It was my second time out with the BGT. The first time I never got it set up right. This time I think I had the right angle and good water flow.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I'm takin my boy out there this Sat Steve! Should be a great time and great weather. Actually looking forward to getting in the water this time lol. If anyone wants to meet up out there, the more the merrier!

Mike,
Have a great time. I think I left some gold there for you. Its under the third rock from the left. Hope to meet up with you again sometime.
Steve

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ DD Coil, 30" BGT Prospector, Blue bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds good brother, just let me know where and when... Are you going to the Cali to weekend coming up?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Kevin, Somewhere along the way I thought I read about checking the trap to see if it is over filling. Not sure where I read that. When I stuck my finger in the slot I could feel that the rocks were up to the top. My son was playing with the crevice tool and it looked like the right size and shape. I stuck the L shaped end into the trap and worked it back and forth between the jets. The water flow blew out most the small rocks. I don't know if this needed to be done but my son and I shoveled all day and only did 1 clean out at the end of the day. Ended up with a lot of black sand and for the Bear River common area a good amount of small flake gold. Maybe what I did was not necessary. It was my second time out with the BGT. The first time I never got it set up right. This time I think I had the right angle and good water flow.
Ah, right...the rocks will normally be up to the top but it should be fairly easy to push a finger or tool in (loose material, not packed). No need to do what you did with the crevicing tool I would say, in fact that could be detrimental, causing some gold loss, not sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks I will leave the trap alone and trust that it is doing what it is suppost to do. I hope I did not knock out any gold. I appreciate all your posts as I am new to mining and have a lot to learn. I lived in Boulder and then Denver from 79 to 83. Spent a lot of time at the coors plant in Golden too. Wish I had got into prospecting back then. O well, I guess you are never to old.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks I will leave the trap alone and trust that it is doing what it is suppost to do. I hope I did not knock out any gold. I appreciate all your posts as I am new to mining and have a lot to learn. I lived in Boulder and then Denver from 79 to 83. Spent a lot of time at the coors plant in Golden too. Wish I had got into prospecting back then. O well, I guess you are never to old.

Since you shaved off your miners scrub you look ten years younger.....

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to have met you last Saturday! Cool to put faces to internet names : )
I was at Bear with my son...

That water was cold in the morning! : )

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Glad to have met you last Saturday! Cool to put faces to internet names : )
I was at Bear with my son...

That water was cold in the morning! : )

Hi Joel,
Nice to have met you guys too. I'm sure we will be running into each other a lot more in the future.
I don't know if the water warmed up later in the day or my hands were just numb for being in it so long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread