DIY Nugget trap for Gold Cube?

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been a claim owner for 8 months, and could use some help please.
I love my new Gold Cube (1 week old), but I'm not really big on the Gold Banker nugget trap that they sell. Where I live, it costs $270, and I believe many people on TNET could make one for much less.
The Cube uses a high velocity water flow, but to me, in the video, the spray bar on their gold trap seemed fairly slow, even though they are coming from the same pump?? Are the holes to big? Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?
The other thing that I would try changing is the holes (or punch plate). The material kept getting caught in the holes and didn't slide off very well. Couldn't I use grizzly bars 1/8" apart from each other instead? In the video's I've seen, less materials get caught in the grizzly bars.
I'm mainly concerned with the sluice/traps ability to classify for the Cube. On our claim, I really don't see any nuggets in my future...lol...(but who knows).
Does anyone know of a DIY project that might achieve the same thing as the nugget trap/gold banker?
Thanks for your time!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the exact same feeling about my cube, I really enjoy it, but classifying to 1/8 kills production. Any help is appreciated!!

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
A grizzly made of rods won't work because larger flat rocks will slide through and mess up the cube.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A grizzly made of rods won't work because larger flat rocks will slide through and mess up the cube.
right and unfortunately you can't put more water thru the spray bar since that would mean too much water flowing thru the cube :(

If you want real volume, the trick is to feed the cube via a trommel!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
right and unfortunately you can't put more water thru the spray
bar since that would mean too much water flowing thru the cube :(

If you want real volume, the trick is to feed the cube via a trommel!

Kevin, you sure got my "custom gear" imagination running at top speed...:occasion14:

Gotta study on this a bit, but think I've just figured out a way to incorporate my
new oversized classifier tub, and have it auto feed the Cube.

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
There is a guy on the GPEX forum that built a tromel to GC to leTrap. He was having water flow issues. Last post he was going to do a field test. Check it out over at GPEX

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a guy on the GPEX forum that built a tromel to GC to leTrap. He was having water flow issues. Last post he was going to do a field test. Check it out over at GPEX

I can definitely see potential for water flow issues:
The amount of water needed by the trommel would be much higher than is allowable going into the GC so there has to be a separation of flow...trommel dumping into a bin....shovel from bin into GC would work for example.

Second, the Le Trap really should be unneeded if the water volume thru the. GC is within the manufacturer recommend range. Not that it hurts I suppose :)

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
This is what I have come up with. I just haven't had a chance to test it. Made from PVC and its real light. I also made it where I can remove the black barrel classifier. I have a 1/2 inch if need be for a sluice.

image-2410282907.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, very cool! Love to see a little video of it in operation once you get it dialed in :)

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool Mustang! I agree with Kevin, would love to see it in action! Could be a nomination for the Golden Trommel Award (if there is one).

mu50stang

Mar 2, 2011
Really cool Mustang! I agree with Kevin, would love to see it in action! Could be a nomination for the Golden Trommel Award (if there is one).
Thanks. I did get out a couple of weeks ago and ran it for about an hour. Not sure how to post the video. I ended up having to add a back flow ring as water was coming out the hopper end and a chute to feed the cube as I was loosing some of the slurry out the sides. It did catch gold. Now she isn't pretty but I used alot of items that were sitting in my garage. It's light weight where I can pick it up and move it and also change out the classifier for different sizes. I currently have a 1/2 inch and an 1/8 inch classifier made. I also made the legs adjustable by sliding a bigger piece of pvc over a smaller one then drilled a bunch of holes and used a bolt and wingnut to adjust it. If someone can tell me how to post a video I will. Also any suggestions for improvements would be cool.

Attachments

• image-378332434.jpg
    image-378332434.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 476

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread