Sluice box angle within stream

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am making my very first post, and I must say, Wow..this site has A lot to offer

I am a recent MC member, and have relocated with my job to Sacramento Ca. i have been out prospecting 8 thimes this year so far, planning on at least 5 trips per month ti different areas of the Plumas, Nevada, Placer, and perhaps Sacramento counties.

..enough of all that...

So I purchased a 52" Keene sluice box with the wedge flange. i put it into the river..what angle am. I looking for as to Not lose any gold..? i am looking to upgrade/add-on to create the 3.5" highbanker, but not until mid season/5months..

Let me know your thoughts
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 490

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some nice looking gold, looks like you have it right :)
Welcome, and thanks for posting the pic!

I have a Keene A51 sluice (3 footer) the drop I used was about an inch per foot. What you are really looking for is how fast do you want the sluice to clean out, I used to go for about 10 seconds a scoop full to clear off the assayer's matting.

What I am uncertain about with your particular sluice is if you include the scoop in your drop or not, I think it helps in lower water or less drop situations.

I say used to because I have sadly not used my Keene since getting a bazooka gold trap sluice. (the bazooka is that good. It's a 48 inch prospector model. Way more gold per time digging)

Here is a really good video (I think) on your angle, water flow and feeding technique.

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1" is the standard indeed... I was just curious if there was another/better option for this particular model.

NP posting photos..im looking to start a journal...so there is more to come..

Please..my ears are wide open for more suggestions

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the net. I would suggest getting the leg stand for the a52. I have one and use the legs almost every time out. With the legs you are not at the mercy of water that is too deep. You will need them any way when you convert to the highbanker. I also use the flange. Depending on water volume and flow speed your a52 should clear material off the top black ribbing in 15 to 30 seconds. Also 1" drop to each ft of sluice. This is also dependant on water flow and volume. Higher volume and speed may need to be set flatter.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome knowledge passed along; and i thank you. Is the flange you are speaking of, the straight one? The legs look amazing for sure!

OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any thoughts on blue minera moss followed by vortex matting Under the larger lockdown metal riffles..?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheGoldProspector

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the new and improved. Let me know

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 221

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread