Flour/ float gold high banker

Dano

Apr 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

New to the forum and looking for some advice. I am working a gravel bar on the Fraser river which has had a nice showing of flour gold (biggest piece -30/ +50). For the last 2 winter seasons I have had a streak showing 20-30 colours to the shovel. The streak is in a layer of sand mixed with verifying size of gravel up to 6" in size. I have an Angus MacKirk zzzzz that I can only use as a river sluice for 1 week at the beginning of the freshet and 3 weeks at the end which works amazing for the size of gold I am dealing with. Otherwise I have converted it to a highbanker powered by a 2000GPH and a 800GPH bilge pumps. I can move a lot of material with it but I am not getting enough flow to get the proper action (to shallow of an angle riffles clog and too steep they blow out)

I am looking to trade out the Mac for another option that works well all year long with the pumps I have.

Options:
1 - Expanded metal over backed moss (Pop and Son style)
2 - DIY drop riffle (4' long 6" wide board with drops cut in)
3 - DIY Bazooka style fluid bed
4 - Something a haven't thought about??!

Feedback appreciated

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What AM sluice do you have?

OP
OP
D

Dano

Apr 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foreman. Forgot to put that in there

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's what I use for flour gold. 12"x36" with vortex matting and a 3/16" classifier after the hopper with an 1100gph elec. pump. Home made from ABS plastic. It works extremely well for me.
DSCF0030.JPG
0402142005.jpg

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

New to the forum and looking for some advice. I am working a gravel bar on the Fraser river which has had a nice showing of flour gold (biggest piece -30/ +50). For the last 2 winter seasons I have had a streak showing 20-30 colours to the shovel. The streak is in a layer of sand mixed with verifying size of gravel up to 6" in size. I have an Angus MacKirk zzzzz that I can only use as a river sluice for 1 week at the beginning of the freshet and 3 weeks at the end which works amazing for the size of gold I am dealing with. Otherwise I have converted it to a highbanker powered by a 2000GPH and a 800GPH bilge pumps. I can move a lot of material with it but I am not getting enough flow to get the proper action (to shallow of an angle riffles clog and too steep they blow out)

I am looking to trade out the Mac for another option that works well all year long with the pumps I have.

Options:
1 - Expanded metal over backed moss (Pop and Son style)
2 - DIY drop riffle (4' long 6" wide board with drops cut in)
3 - DIY Bazooka style fluid bed
4 - Something a haven't thought about??!

Feedback appreciated

I like #3 only made into a highbanker :icon_thumleft:

gthb.jpg

GG~

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG,

What size pump are you using for your BGT?

What I use is overkill, it's a gasoline powered 6-1/2 hp 108 gallons per minute pump that I run at just over idle and use ball valves to control the flow, one for over the slick plate and the other one to regulate flow to the stratification tubes in the trap.

In your case I would recommend you using your 2000 gph (33gpm) on top and your 800 gph (13gpm) for the trap. Then adjust your sluice angle and feed rate accordingly trying to maintain as level of sluice as possible. Try not to go past 1" of drop per foot of sluice.

If you design yours like mine where your grizzly is level with the slick plate then the grizzly will be self clearing and a steep angle is not needed. Just make sure the overflow port of the trap is located at least 1/2" below the bottom of the downhill ramp at the end of the slick plate.

The red arrow is pointing to the baffle that makes sure all the material that enters the trap gets dunked under the water so any flour gold cant just surf straight across and over the overflow port. (just make sure the bottom lip of the baffle is lower than the top of the overflow)

baffle.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions