Im Building bazooka sluice , ideas ,or just be honest and tell me ist not good :)

OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 , XP Deus , ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes i will make video testing it

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the grizzly I suggest a BBQ grill or Icebox shelf, they clip off easily.

OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Done , i was waiting for the acrylic clear pipes :) and stainless steel perforated plate .
Hopefully i can test it this weekend on gold creek .

Attachments

• image-440530394.png
    image-440530394.png
    435.5 KB · Views: 164
  • image-4081138385.png
    image-4081138385.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 178
  • image-2443146782.png
    image-2443146782.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 183
  • image-151187386.png
    image-151187386.png
    333.3 KB · Views: 200

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very pretty, sure hope it works great for you!

OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a real nice setup. Well done.
From my experience with a similar home made gold trap sluice, I think that you're going to find that the grizzly openings are too small. The right size gravel getting into the fluid bed really is important to the fluidisation process.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only comment is that your scoop looks to go from shallow at the intake end to deep at the trap end when it would be better to go from deep at the intake to shallow at the trap which would provide more pressure into the fluidizing tubes or else stay the same depth at both ends.

If you have extremely fast flow it will probably work ok though but if the flow is slow you may not get enough fluidization to the trap.
Other than that it's a beautiful build.

GG~

OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks gold rover , yes i played with the reall bazookas and that was the problem that bigger rocks would make it in the trap and than i think the water flow would wash the trap 1/2 way empty .
I will try this 1/8 punch plate , and post result , i may go to 1/4 if its too small .
Thanks for comment

OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Goodyguy , im not really sure if it mater much , i made it like this because i think you not really gaining any pressure , pressure spreads evenly , and the opening for water intake is bigger than opening of the pipes.
Rest is on the slop of creek and flow of water .
Thanks for comment

OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok guys here , first time in creek

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like your idea of the vertical baffle creating a chambered trap.
It would insure gold retention even if the sluice was set at a steep angle. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you GG
Im already drawing idea of 3-4 foot long one , where i would have 5-6 traps in row .
With different sizes of punch plate on top of um ,

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm building a gate trap sluice with no need for fluidizing tubes just by making the trap with alternating vertical baffles.
Red arrow points to grizzly. Will still work at steep angle and lower flow. Run flatter in high flow situations.

gatetrap.jpg GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice , i taught about that too tgat could work nice .

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm building a gate trap sluice with no need for fluidizing tubes just by making the trap with alternating vertical baffles.
Red arrow points to grizzly. Will still work at steep angle and lower flow. Run flatter in high flow situations.

View attachment 1033728 GG~
I considered a similar configuration but rejected it thinking it would: 1. First create ramps for material and gold to flow over and not settle and also increase the velocity through the chambers due to the reduced volume in the chambers (venturi effect) and probably induce scouring rather than the agitation necessary for specific gravity settling. 2. Probably end up creating a dam or restrict the flow as larger and less influenced material accumulates. Just my thoughts, and they may be wrong, but things you may not have thought of. Let us know if it works. Good luck.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I considered a similar configuration but rejected it thinking it would: 1. First create ramps for material and gold to flow over and not settle and also increase the velocity through the chambers due to the reduced volume in the chambers (venturi effect) and probably induce scouring rather than the agitation necessary for specific gravity settling. 2. Probably end up creating a dam or restrict the flow as larger and less influenced material accumulates. Just my thoughts, and they may be wrong, but things you may not have thought of. Let us know if it works. Good luck.

Thanks for your input..........

This technology is not new.

Also gate traps are used in the Gold Cube and are called G-force separators.

GoldCube_cross_section_1-8_ezr.jpg large_1417_Goldcube3.jpg

You are right that scouring does take place but if properly controlled only the light material gets scoured away while the heavies remain in the trap. I have rejected several ideas due to over thinking and later found that they were proven to be sound after all.

In the case of the gate traps it is critical to get the depth of the trap vs distance to the bottom of the gate set properly as well as the size of the traps and the height of the trap wall to prevent the heavies from being able to "scale the wall" due to too much pressure.

Think of a goose neck trap under your sink where heavies (like a ring) would settle into the screw on cup at the bottom of the trap and not be washed away. That is an exaggeration due to the weight of a ring but the same principal applies.

Really the concept is best dipicted by the above video.
trap-1.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
djpitr

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good info GG , i have to do some research on the gold cube , but its sounds right ,
Are you still running your gold trap behind the sluice ?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info GG , i have to do some research on the gold cube , but its sounds right ,
Are you still running your gold trap behind the sluice ?

Only at the end of my dredge sluices at present. I don't use a regular sluice anymore as I have gone the fluid bed gold trap route for all of my sluicing needs. Soon to convert the dredge sluices as well after some more testing.

GG~

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your input..........

This technology is not new.

Also gate traps are used in the Gold Cube and are called G-force separators.

View attachment 1033853 View attachment 1033935

You are right that scouring does take place but if properly controlled only the light material gets scoured away while the heavies remain in the trap. I have rejected several ideas due to over thinking and later found that they were proven to be sound after all.

In the case of the gate traps it is critical to get the depth of the trap vs distance to the bottom of the gate set properly as well as the size of the traps and the height of the trap wall to prevent the heavies from being able to "scale the wall" due to too much pressure.

Think of a goose neck trap under your sink where heavies (like a ring) would settle into the screw on cup at the bottom of the trap and not be washed away. That is an exaggeration due to the weight of a ring but the same principal applies.

Really the concept is best dipicted by the above video.
View attachment 1033865

GG~

K-WRAP!!! Just spent the last half hour only to time out and lose my reply. Yes I've studied these too as well as Trev's design that the gold cube is sort of designed after. Adjustable gates and heights are key (and the chamber walls would best be kept perpendicular too) but may require field adjustments to get it running right. Cleanouts present another issue as I think one would need a removable panel(s) to to this. I still think a horizontal closed system, as your design now shows, may create the problems I previously described. I hope you can prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread