All Treasure Hunting

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think this was ever mass produced just plans all over the net.
Possibly Omni will chime in as I think I remember he was messing with a popandson hybrid type thing awhile back.
Don't have any experience with them but looks like it would work.?.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Has anyone here ever, personally, tried the popandson sluice design.. Do you know if it was ever produced and sold commercially?

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

There were a couple of outfits that did sell them. Here is a link to them. I believe paragraph 4 lists two of them.
However, that was 4 years ago. As folks come and go selling mining equipment who knows if they are still around.
As one can easily build one it is hard to imagine they would have very much luck selling them.
Summary of posts for Popandson sluice
The GPEX had a lot of information on them which the above is a summary.

George

Last edited:
OP
OP
Herby D

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bakergeol.. great info.. I was camping on the Bear river out of Colfax CA and met an old guy ( Jackson) using a sluice with this design.. I had never seen or heard of it before and I was really surprised with its performance.. he said he had bought three of them from some place in Oregon that was going out of business a few years back.. there was no name on it but he said it was a Popandson sluice.. it had three or four different sizes of expanded metal with miners moss and no Hungarians.. I'd guess it was about 40" by 18".. the largest expanded metal must have been custom cuz I have never seen that type before.. Jackson really seemed to know what he was talking about.. he said he quit using Hungarian riffles since he found this one... he also uses it with his 4" dredge/ highbanker that was in the back of his trailer, which was really an impressive set up.. an enclosed bike trailer with living quarters up front.. it was well used but he sure had it organized.. said he had lived in it for over 10 years.. he also had an old quad with a little fold up trailer, a dry washer and a clean up system that I thought was ingenious.. he swore by his blue bowl and got real excited talking about black sand.. said about 70 percent of his production was micro gold.. he also uses a rock tumbler with mercury and a well-ventilated retort.. his sluice does collect a lot of black sand but he said it settles to the bottom and doesn't restrict its production... he said he has two of these anchored in the bottom of stream beds and has been very effective.. interesting.. calls them his trout lines ;) ..Even after a couple six packs of Corona I couldn't get him to talk much about himself but he sure liked to talk about finding gold..said he didn't have a phone, tv or computer and when the sun went down, he spent his time with clean-up...unless he could find someone with a good camp fire and a cooler full of Coronas to talk to ;) ..I did find out he was from Idaho originally, never married and was an ex big rig driver..said he'd looked for gold in every state except Hawaii..His tow rig was an old blue Suburban but he said he'd never had it out of the seven western states...or over 55 mph..What a character..anyway...I'm still curious about his popandson sluice box... ;)

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome story! Especially the use of that solid (heavy) old tech as 'trout lines'...bet that really produced for him! If I had a popnson I'd put wheels on it, too heavy for me otherwise ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread