deal on used cube/gear please?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1005618 thats the take after we cubed our tailings... glad i bought the cube. another question though. i am seeing a bunch of gold leaf super paper thin gold. i wish i would have taken a picture of it in the cube before i did the clean up. if you touch it it litteraly seemed to melt right to your finger. pretty neat stuff. anyone else run into this?

I'm not really seeing the gold. Sorry but none of the gravels that I see in your vial looks like glacial gold to me. The gold leaf you are referring to has the right color but the rest just doesn't have the look. Of course photos can be deceiving so I would suggest you get another opinion from an expert in person.

GG~

OP
OP
L

longtime

Apr 23, 2014
Columbus Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the larger piece on the left side was fools gold. i did the crush test and it shattered. all the rest other then the gray piece on the left is gold though. flattens, wont crush, has the right weight as in the heaviest thing in the pan. wont wash away. dont really know any other reason to doubt it.

OP
OP
L

longtime

Apr 23, 2014
Columbus Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well... i lost any gold that i have found so far. my wife knocked my vile off the mantle and the gold went all over the carpet, then being the awesome lady she always is, she ran the sweeper. so now i have to pan whats in the sweeper bag to reclaim it all.... smh. the last time i went out to same spot, i ran 5 buckets of classified material through the cube and found 1 tiny spec of gold. has me scratching my head for sure. going to also need to run the stuff bigger than 80 due to the gold we have found already was bigger than 80. so we ll prob run bigger stuff through the mini highbanker and smaller stuff through cube.

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From reading I feel that you need someone to show you
1- 5 buckets of material for 1 tiny speck?! Move on to another creek.
2- your talking about running 80mesh through the gold cube and anything bigger through a highbanker??
The cube does an excellent job at catching almost everything 1/8 inch and smaller. 99% of your gold is 1/8 and smaller unless your cleaning bedrock your unlikely to find larger here in Ohio.
If your classifying down to 80mesh your wasting your time.
Classifying that small is really done as a cleanup step and not as part of running material.
You need to figure out how you can RUN AS MUCH 1/8 MATERIAL AS POSSIBLE and save the tiny classifying for clean ups at home. Your ENTIRE time at the creek should be running quantity.
3- I cannot stress it enough but contact your local clubs and learn from others.
There is much to learn in the beginning that websites really can't show you as good as a person can.
4- the grey material is probably Graphite or hematite or iron sulfide.
Graphite is common here and it's kind of beautiful as it seems sort of reflective and has a oily shine to it when wet.
Hematite and magnetite chunks are common here and can range in color from black to grey to brown.
Iron sulfide or pyrite comes in many colors from gold to silver to blue here. It is usually slightly rough looking and is brittle. It's commonly found in small cone shapes here.

Seriously contact a local club and have someone teach you as there is nothing worse than wasting your time and coming up empty handed. I advise you to read this over twice and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread